Coach JJ Sr

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Coach JJ Sr

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:57 pm

I agree that JJ's record as coach this season is severely overblown when you actually dig into those wins. I also agree that we resemble a D2 team the moment McFolley, Allen, Chatman and JJJ leave campus. I disagree that we should ever step down to D2.
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 pm

udballer wrote:I agree that JJ's record as coach this season is severely overblown when you actually dig into those wins. I also agree that we resemble a D2 team the moment McFolley, Allen, Chatman and JJJ leave campus. I disagree that we should ever step down to D2.

I was at Chaifetz Arena the night we beat the Bilikens. The team played well and won after trailing at the half. McFolley got hot and played really well. There was a lot more intensity and I think that game was our best win in two years and if you watched the game JJ made the right moves, called the timeouts when he should have and did a nice job on the sideline.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
titanmike wrote:
titandave wrote:Does anyone know .... over the past three season; did our players respect JJ Sr as a coach?

Makes no difference, hard to tell for sure really. He wont coach the Titans.

That is not good! I was hoping JJ would get the job. When he coached the team in BA's absence I felt the team played with more energy and shared the ball more. As for McFolley, JJ was instrumental in bringing Josh and Blacksheer to the program.

You may have a different opinion over time about JJ. As for bringing Josh and Blackshear to the program, your comment is incorrect.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:13 am

I have never seen a team play harder and more inspired after PW stepped aside and Kevin Mondro took over. They were not a talented team. But I did not want Mondro taking over the program even though he had more experience than JJ does now.

Another problem I had with JJ was he was not on the same page as BA. Its an assistan's job to be on the same page. BA was doing one thing and JJ was doing another . . . and Chatman was doing a third. If he could not accept his role as an assistant he should have stepped aside rather than cause more chaos. That is not the kind of guy I want rebuilding our program.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:46 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:I have never seen a team play harder and more inspired after PW stepped aside and Kevin Mondro took over. They were not a talented team. But I did not want Mondro taking over the program even though he had more experience than JJ does now.

Another problem I had with JJ was he was not on the same page as BA. Its an assistan's job to be on the same page. BA was doing one thing and JJ was doing another . . . and Chatman was doing a third. If he could not accept his role as an assistant he should have stepped aside rather than cause more chaos. That is not the kind of guy I want rebuilding our program.

I don’t recall Mondro replacing Watson on an interim basis. Could you be thinking of Mulroy replacing Sicko for most of a season?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:09 am

I remember Mondro taking over the team for a short period of time. I thought that he had the team playing together and harder than they had been for Perry.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:12 am

titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 am

If titanmike's information about JJ not being the next coach is accurate, then it does not matter if last year's team respected him, just liked him, or had some other view about him. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of titanmike here.

If JimmyChitwood's assessment of last year's coaching staff is correct, then it is best to start over with a new head coach and a new staff. I do remember JJ's one comment after one game to the effect that if the team needed to play like Loyola Marymount in order to win, then that's how he would have it play. That would seem inconsistent with the manner in which Bacari wanted the team to play.

If UofDfan83's (Tom's) assessment of the team situation is accurate and he is accepting of the need for a wholesale change in team leadership, then so am I.

It's best that we start over again. This decision carries potentially negative short term consequences for the W-L record next season. But if it sets us on the right path, then do it. The sooner the better.

I am sorry that things with JJ did not work out. Same with Bacari. But sometimes, you can create an organization containing good individuals that do not mesh together as an effective team.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 am

titanmike wrote:https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/kevin-mondro-1.html

Thanks for the reference on the Mondro stint, my memory isn’t what it used to be.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

ptctitan wrote:If titanmike's information about JJ not being the next coach is accurate, then it does not matter if last year's team respected him, just liked him, or had some other view about him. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of titanmike here.

If JimmyChitwood's assessment of last year's coaching staff is correct, then it is best to start over with a new head coach and a new staff. I do remember JJ's one comment after one game to the effect that if the team needed to play like Loyola Marymount in order to win, then that's how he would have it play. That would seem inconsistent with the manner in which Bacari wanted the team to play.

If UofDfan83's (Tom's) assessment of the team situation is accurate and he is accepting of the need for a wholesale change in team leadership, then so am I.

It's best that we start over again. This decision carries potentially negative short term consequences for the W-L record next season. But if it sets us on the right path, then do it. The sooner the better.

I am sorry that things with JJ did not work out. Same with Bacari. But sometimes, you can create an organization containing good individuals that do not mesh together as an effective team.

One might question in the future, who is good and who is bad, or who is worse than the other.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 am

titanmike wrote:One might question in the future, who is good and who is bad, or who is worse than the other.

By "good individuals," I mean persons who individually had talent and ability but who did not work well together. Who turns out to carry more blame for the current state of affairs is now unimportant to me given that all antagonists will be gone shortly. One is already gone. And knowing the reasons is important only insofar as Vowels does not make the same type of hiring mistake this time around. I've accepted the fact that it is best to make a clean break from the soap opera that may have characterized the very short BA era.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:47 am

titanmike wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:
titanmike wrote:Makes no difference, hard to tell for sure really. He wont coach the Titans.

That is not good! I was hoping JJ would get the job. When he coached the team in BA's absence I felt the team played with more energy and shared the ball more. As for McFolley, JJ was instrumental in bringing Josh and Blacksheer to the program.

You may have a different opinion over time about JJ. As for bringing Josh and Blackshear to the program, your comment is incorrect.

Mike I feel I am 100% correct. I am not guessing on this and was not told so by a third party! I may have a different opinion in the future but that is a real long shot.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 am

That is not good! I was hoping JJ would get the job. When he coached the team in BA's absence I felt the team played with more energy and shared the ball more. As for McFolley, JJ was instrumental in bringing Josh and Blacksheer to the program.[/quote]

You may have a different opinion over time about JJ. As for bringing Josh and Blackshear to the program, your comment is incorrect.[/quote]

Mike I feel I am 100% correct. I am not guessing on this and was not told so by a third party! I may have a different opinion in the future but that is a real long shot.[/quote]

I am certainly not guessing. I rarely play a guessing game and if I do, I would say so.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 am

titanmike wrote:That is not good! I was hoping JJ would get the job. When he coached the team in BA's absence I felt the team played with more energy and shared the ball more. As for McFolley, JJ was instrumental in bringing Josh and Blacksheer to the program.

You may have a different opinion over time about JJ. As for bringing Josh and Blackshear to the program, your comment is incorrect.[/quote]

Mike I feel I am 100% correct. I am not guessing on this and was not told so by a third party! I may have a different opinion in the future but that is a real long shot.[/quote]

I am certainly not guessing. I rarely play a guessing game and if I do, I would say so.[/quote]

I had a conversation with one of the players involved when I was informed that CB's father would make sure that the two recruits from Western would not come to UD if CB was not given more playing time. The player told me face to face that JJ was the main reason he came to UD. This was after the incident and I feel the player was telling me the truth.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

Check messages UP
titanmike
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball