Coach JJ Sr

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Coach JJ Sr

Postby Titan Andrew » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:59 pm

There's been rumblings over the weekend that he won't be coaching the Titans much longer. Stay tuned...
Titan Andrew
Senior

Re: Coach JJ Sr

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Oh no, another stay tuned... :lol: :lol:
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Titan Andrew wrote:There's been rumblings over the weekend that he won't be coaching the Titans much longer. Stay tuned...

This really bothers me the way this whole thing has been handled. I really hope Vowels is not paying any attention to the stupidity polls on this board. If JJ is the guy then give him the job and if he isn't then let him and his son go to our competition and they can kick us around for three years. Then we will have a few on here say I can't believe he did that to us.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:36 pm

We can only hope that JJSr and his son go to the competition. That would be the best thing to happen to the Titans in the last 3 years. I can’t imagine anyone wants them, but we can hope they do.
Titans96
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:18 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
Titan Andrew wrote:There's been rumblings over the weekend that he won't be coaching the Titans much longer. Stay tuned...

This really bothers me the way this whole thing has been handled. I really hope Vowels is not paying any attention to the stupidity polls on this board. If JJ is the guy then give him the job and if he isn't then let him and his son go to our competition and they can kick us around for three years. Then we will have a few on here say I can't believe he did that to us.

With all due respect UP, you may be the only person on this board that feels this way. It’s time for a fresh start
The-Dude
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:15 am

I hope this isn't true. Although newness has its appeal you have to consider something. We ve burned the bridge with BA. We all loved BA as a person and player. He'd never step foot in our gym ever I bet. If we burn the bridge with JJ...that's potentially another Titan we would lose. I don't like to be handcuffed either, but you need to be careful what you wish for. As a recruit, you would notice...so that's how they treat their alumni, etc. BA and JJ would go somewhere else and don't u think they would bad mouth us when in competition for a recruit?
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:09 am

TitanONeill wrote:I hope this isn't true. Although newness has its appeal you have to consider something. We ve burned the bridge with BA. We all loved BA as a person and player. He'd never step foot in our gym ever I bet. If we burn the bridge with JJ...that's potentially another Titan we would lose. I don't like to be handcuffed either, but you need to be careful what you wish for. As a recruit, you would notice...so that's how they treat their alumni, etc. BA and JJ would go somewhere else and don't u think they would bad mouth us when in competition for a recruit?

TO, you do bring up a valid point but I would hope that the release is completed amaciply. The truth of the matter is that we have failed, and failed miserably, and a possible fallout from BA and JJ would be part of that misery. Change is prudent at this juncture.

Btw, this rumor is legit. The swirling talk is that AB, not to be confused with BA, is a serious option. What’s relevant to me with these new rumors is that it indicated that RV is staying and that does not move the needle for me.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 am

Same
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:20 am

If JJ is the best candidate available, then hire him. If not, then hire the best candidate. Either way, there are no guarantees. That's true with any personnel decision. On paper, BA looked like a great hire.

I just want Vowels to level with us and improve communication from his department to the fan base. If he has to delegate that duty to a subordinate with better people skills, then do it ... ASAP.

I think the biggest reason for the wide rifts between certain fans is the lack of communication and the lack of accurate information on parts of the Titan Athletics website. You can't run the Athletic Department as a lawyer-client relationship. And, if you're not a rainmaker, then find an assistant AD who is one.

Dude - if Vowels makes a good hire and take steps to make his department more people-oriented, then maybe he can begin a turnaround.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 am

If we let JJ go for AB then we do need to replace Vowels. He is making the same mistake that he made with BA. What makes you think AB can recruit to UD? Have any of you looked at the beautiful campus in Big Rapids. AB will have to get a few Alumni on his staff and after the way the last couple have been treated that will be difficult. He gets his players mostly from the Muskegon - Grand Rapids area. They are not the top level talent they are very good third tier players. This is a whole different ball game. If JJ is not the coach then we need someone who is connected and very dynamic. I think if Vowels truly does not get the very best candidate possible and caves to a bunch of malcontents who feel they support their Alma Mater because the have convinced themselves that they do, then he does need to go. Some will like the AB selection for a very short while and then someone will come forward who lost their girl to AB's third cousin and that will be the end of him and some Alumni who think they remember Calihan will be on here threatening to leave the program that they actually already left.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 am

TitanONeill wrote:I hope this isn't true. Although newness has its appeal you have to consider something. We ve burned the bridge with BA. We all loved BA as a person and player. He'd never step foot in our gym ever I bet. If we burn the bridge with JJ...that's potentially another Titan we would lose. I don't like to be handcuffed either, but you need to be careful what you wish for. As a recruit, you would notice...so that's how they treat their alumni, etc. BA and JJ would go somewhere else and don't u think they would bad mouth us when in competition for a recruit?

That's one reason hiring old stars to come back isn't usually a good idea. It always ends in unhappiness, because virtually every coach eventually gets fired.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 am

upbasketballfan wrote:What makes you think AB can recruit to UD? Have any of you looked at the beautiful campus in Big Rapids. AB will have to get a few Alumni on his staff and after the way the last couple have been treated that will be difficult. He gets his players mostly from the Muskegon - Grand Rapids area. They are not the top level talent they are very good third tier players. This is a whole different ball game. If JJ is not the coach then we need someone who is connected and very dynamic.

Agree completely. But then I remember that some of the same sources were claiming that Greg E would visit us after he de-committed to UIC. Rumors have a way of becoming embellished. And saying that AB is an option is not the same thing as saying that he will be the hire. If Vowels has decided to hire someone unconnected with the former staff(s), then get the best person available.

And then all of us better damn well unite behind that person even if he turns out not to be your first choice. (I feel liberated to say "damn" now that the Pope has allegedly said there is no hell to which people can be damned.) Like upbasketballfan, I want to compete and win. Many posters here wanted no excuses for this team and coaching staff this past season. Once, the new coach is announced, no excuses going forward for supporting the team and the program.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:13 am

I just realized this post was started April 1.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:27 am

upbasketballfan wrote:

However the rumblings didn't start April 1.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:13 pm

titanmike wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

However the rumblings didn't start April 1.
No most of the rumblings started on here when 96 started posting.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:15 pm

I just realized this post was started April 1.[/quote]

However the rumblings didn't start April 1.[/quote] No most of the rumblings started on here when 96 started posting.[/quote]

While much rumbling occurred when 96 began posting the latest rumblings have nothing to with that.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Does anyone know .... over the past three season; did our players respect JJ Sr as a coach?
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm

titandave wrote:Does anyone know .... over the past three season; did our players respect JJ Sr as a coach?

Makes no difference, hard to tell for sure really. He wont coach the Titans.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 pm

titanmike wrote:
titandave wrote:Does anyone know .... over the past three season; did our players respect JJ Sr as a coach?

That is not good! I was hoping JJ would get the job. When he coached the team in BA's absence I felt the team played with more energy and shared the ball more. As for McFolley, JJ was instrumental in bringing Josh and Blacksheer to the program.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:52 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
titanmike wrote:

That is not good! I was hoping JJ would get the job. When he coached the team in BA's absence I felt the team played with more energy and shared the ball more. As for McFolley, JJ was instrumental in bringing Josh and Blacksheer to the program.

JJ wins are against two division 2 programs a bad division one with a worst record then us and an mediocre division 1 team. Yeah I will pass on that. I don’t even respect JJ record of 4-3 because he coached against a couple of powder puff teams alone with a healthy roster. Even if this program decided to go down into division 2 I would want him to coach.
Last edited by JDetroitTitan on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball