McFolley transfer?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

McFolley transfer?

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:43 pm

According to verbal commits,
Detroit G Josh McFolley (JR) has received permission to contact other schools.
HSScout1
Senior

Re: McFolley transfer?

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:53 pm

So, our only remaining above average HL player (just my opinion) might leave (in this, I assume Chatman, JJ, and Allen ultimately leave). And it's April 9th and we don't have a head coach, and more players (remaining HS, JUCO, immediate eligible grad transfers) are disappearing by the minute.

We could be setting some NCAA records next season. And not the good kind.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Welp. They'll probably need a couple of us to field a team. Seriously though, this just worse by the day. Why aren't heads rolling? Where are the updates? A message saying we have narrowed our choices down to...or message telling us to be patient. Something. Anything.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:So, our only remaining above average HL player (just my opinion) might leave (in this, I assume Chatman, JJ, and Allen ultimately leave). And it's April 9th and we don't have a head coach, and more players (remaining HS, JUCO, immediate eligible grad transfers) are disappearing by the minute.

We could be setting some NCAA records next season. And not the good kind.

Are you saying that Towson's 1-31 record is now in jeoprady?

TitanONeill wrote:Welp. They'll probably need a couple of us to field a team. Seriously though, this just worse by the day. Why aren't heads rolling? Where are the updates? A message saying we have narrowed our choices down to...or message telling us to be patient. Something. Anything.

Heads rolling for what? Making a coaching change decision that the majority of posters here wanted? If this is what it takes to reset the program on the right path, then let it happen. Even if Vowels had fired BA 3 weeks ago, then decided not to promote JJ, and then hired a new coach on March 20, you cannot be certain that all of the current players would have been denied a chance to explore their options.

If the decision to make this change is the correct one, then better that it was made late than not made at all. Same on the selection of the new HC.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Does Towson's 1-31 include non D1 teams? I'm hopeful we can beat UM-Dearborn next year. Youngstown State should be good for another win.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm

I hope Josh isn't getting bad advice. Of course, we don't know what's going on under the surface.

If Josh has the ability to graduate by end of summer and play immediately elsewhere then leaving makes sense. If he's looking to transfer and sit a year just to play his final year somewhere else, I think that's a mistake unless he's picked up by a really good program. I'm sure he's annoyed about playing under three head coaches in four years but I think these kids would be better off graduating in four years and then thinking about life after college basketball.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I hope Josh isn't getting bad advice. Of course, we don't know what's going on under the surface.

If Josh has the ability to graduate by end of summer and play immediately elsewhere then leaving makes sense. If he's looking to transfer and sit a year just to play his final year somewhere else, I think that's a mistake unless he's picked up by a really good program. I'm sure he's annoyed about playing under three head coaches in four years but I think these kids would be better off graduating in four years and then thinking about life after college basketball.

To underscore the obvious; if Josh needs to sit out a year before he's eligible to play ..... his transfer options will be limited.
titandave
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:39 pm

True, Dave.

How many open scholarships does Georgia State have again?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm

PTC - yes, waiting to make the best/right hire for UDM makes a lot of sense. We do want and need to get this right. BUT...as Commish has pointed out and we've discussed elsewhere the more we wait, the more we are falling behind. Of the 50 schools that had head coach openings, we are now among the final 5 to fill ours. That is bottom 10% (take a bow iPhone calculator!). Other schools have named head coaches, have filled out staffs, have started to shape up their roster for next year but contact high school recruits, juco transfers, grad transfers, regular transfers. It seems we are taking too long.

It is maybe appearing Vowels wasn't exactly planning to fire BA when he did since our process is lagging the norm. Or Vowels didn't really have a speedy or robust game plan to replace BA. Either way - here we sit with the possibility that most every reasonable D1 contributor we had from last season is in some degree of jeopardy of leaving for the 18-19 season. Let's be honest, we just need a good, decent head coach here. Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college level to rebuild our program. There isn't a 'perfect' candidate just waiting to take over, whose strengths and station in life line up PERFECTLY with our opportunity. Let's get going. Another week of this and we'll certainly seem indecisive in this process, or not prepared for this process. So yes, if thats the case, head rolls (Vowels).
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think Allen's transfer was the last straw. I don't think Vowels was prepared to fire BA and conduct a thorough search. I think Vowels also had to deal with getting permission from the president and trustees which delayed the process maybe?

Sure, replacing BA is the right decision. But those couple weeks probably did cost us quite a bit.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Only Mike Thomas can stop the bleeding at this point. He could take Joubert, Ollie, Long, Blackshear and Eichler and get us 10 wins. :)

I'm hoping McFolley sees the position he is in and sticks around for next season. He's been our best PG since Ray Jr. and can shoot the lights out when he's given the opportunity.
udballer
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:How many open scholarships does Georgia State have again?

Per verbal commits; at this time, GSU has one scholarship available.
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Quite possible that Josh put in to transfer when they officially notified him that JJ Sr. would not be offered the head coaching job. Gotta believe he'd have stayed if we'd have picked JJ. Thanks for everything Josh... but I'll allow you to leave if it means making a proper coaching hire.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 pm

And the train cars just keep flying off the track. I can't blame Josh for a millisecond.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:37 pm

BA’s firing was not as a last straw move. Corey Allen had been talking about a possible transfer as the season went on. With that being the case, the decision would have been already made and it wasn’t. MCFolley’s Interest in leaving is not as a result of JJSr not being the coach. If anything it would have to do with uncertainty surrounding who the next coach is going to be.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:54 pm

It's being reported that Eichler is transferring. Doubtful that any D-1 schools would be interested.
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Titan Andrew wrote:It's being reported that Eichler is transferring. Doubtful that any D-1 schools would be interested.

Believe it or not, I heard University of Maine could be a possible destination
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Wow...I know you can't teach size but he showed absolutely nothing to warrant giving him a 3 year scholy for 2 years of court time.
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Titan Andrew wrote:It's being reported that Eichler is transferring. Doubtful that any D-1 schools would be interested.

I am also disappointed in this. I always felt Eichler was better than he got credit for. Had some problems on D but so did the rest of the team. I felt with a coach who could work with bigs he was serviceable. I remember Hogan talking about how good Eichler would be and how good he looked in practice. Eichler was a BA recruit probably thru Wagner at UM as Eichler and Wagner played together in Europe. Eichler was never used properly. I thought that maybe that was something in coaching that BA would bring to the table but it was obvious that Smith was much better at working with the bigs. Coaching can help or hinder confidence. BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Tony Paul if the Detroit News tweeted that the University confirmed that Josh McFolley will transfer.
Rogobob77
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball