Detroit News story summing up current state of affairs

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Detroit News story summing up current state of affairs

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:17 pm

UDM loses another star as coaching search drags

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/3371486 ... ssion=true

TONY PAUL | THE DETROIT NEWS
5:15 pm EDT April 10, 2018

As Detroit Mercy continues its hush-hush search for a new men’s basketball coach, the roster is deteriorating at a rapid pace.

Junior guard Josh McFolley, a former Detroit Western star and the third-leading scorer on the team last season, has decided to transfer for his final season, an athletic-department official confirmed Tuesday.

This comes after last month’s revelation that guard Corey Allen, of Ypsilanti, will be transferring for his final two years of eligibility.

Combined with departing seniors Jaleel Hogan, DeShawndre Black and Isaiah Jones, and graduate transfer Roschon Prince, that’s six of last year’s 17 players who won’t be back next season. And that doesn’t include the hotly anticipated looming decisions from the likes of freshman guard Jermaine Jackson Jr. and redshirt junior Kameron Chatman, who both have fathers on the Bacari Alexander’s holdover staff.

If Jackson doesn’t get the full-time job and isn’t retained, it’s unclear how that will affect the futures of Jackson and Chatman, the latter whose decision is multi-layered, as he also has declared for the NBA Draft, but doesn’t plan to hire an agent.

Jackson is believed to still be the interim coach, though he hasn’t spoken publicly since he was named to the post when Alexander was fired last month after two eight-win seasons on the job. Asked if Jackson remains the interim coach, a university spokesman sent an email to The News, saying, “Per university official protocol, Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues.”

Detroit Mercy athletic director Robert Vowels hasn’t returned repeated calls and texts for comment on the coaching search, and an inquiry to university president Antoine M. Garibaldi was referred to Vowels.

Jackson Sr. was the runner-up for the head-coaching job when Alexander got it in April 2015, but was appointed to the staff by Vowels. Jackson Sr. served as interim coach during Alexander’s seven-game suspension late in 2017.

Chatman (17.8 points), Allen (14.4), McFolley (11.1), Jackson Jr. (10.5), Prince (9.2), Hogan (8.1) and Black (4.6) were the seven leading scorers for the Titans last season.

Allen took an official visit last weekend to Georgia State, where former Detroit Mercy coach Ray McCallum Sr. is on staff. Eastern Michigan also could be in the mix for him. It’s still unclear where McFolley is leaning. Both would have to sit out a year, a tough sell for McFolley, with just one year of eligibility remaining.

Meanwhile, the longer Detroit Mercy waits to hire a coach, the tougher it gets for the next guy. The recruiting dead period lasts until Thursday, then reopens from Friday through April 18. But after that, it’s a quiet period into early July, with the exception of some brief evaluation-only stretches.

There’s a theory in college-basketball circles that while Alexander was seen as the safe choice two years ago — a popular Michigan assistant coming back to his alma mater — Vowels is casting a much wider net this time around, starting with inquiries at the Final Four earlier this month in San Antonio.

Among some of the high-profile names believed to either a) be interested in the job, or b) have been contacted by Vowels, including former Detroit Pistons “Bad Boy” Rick Mahorn, former Piston and NBA coach Lindsey Hunter, and former Central Michigan coaches Jay Smith and Ernie Zeigler, both of whom also had stints as assistant coaches at Detroit Mercy. Former Butler and Iowa coach Todd Lickliter is believed to also be on the radar, as is longtime Saginaw High coach and current Cleveland State assistant Lou Dawkins.

Drew Valentine, a former Oakland star and a hot up-and-coming assistant coach with Final Four participant Loyola-Chicago, is not in the mix.

While Detroit Mercy isn’t anywhere close to the “sexiest” job out there, it’s still Division I, still pays decent — Alexander drew about $450,000 a year — and is the only Division I school in the City of Detroit, a basketball hotbed where an inspired and tireless recruiter could make some serious inroads.

But the facilities are outdated, and rival Oakland has taken a leg up on recruiting and success for the past several seasons.

tpaul@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/tonypaul1984
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Detroit News story summing up current state of affairs

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Tony Paul-Kampe couldnt resist mentioning Oakland in his "article". He mentions nothing new, I dont think Paul-Kampe has any contacts at all in college basketball.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Like a lot of times, I start reading his articles and I think I'm grateful that he at least covers the Titans. Because, frankly, no other reporter in the entire country gives a $#*! about us. But then, as always, he manages to weave in some "OU is better than UDM" sentence.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Like a lot of times, I start reading his articles and I think I'm grateful that he at least covers the Titans. Because, frankly, no other reporter in the entire country gives a $#*! about us. But then, as always, he manages to weave in some "OU is better than UDM" sentence.

I was thinking the same thing, any publicity is good publicity, but he's taking the OU thing too far.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Tony Paul-Kampe couldnt resist mentioning Oakland in his "article". He mentions nothing new, I dont think Paul-Kampe has any contacts at all in college basketball.

Fun fact: Paul Kampe was a sports reporter for the Oakland Press and covered OU for a few years. And he’s no relation to Greg.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Also, this Adidas stuff is a hot mess. Now Kansas in the spotlight. If they vacate their win against us from 2012, Vowels better claim that W.

At least we can all go to sleep tonight knowing there's NO possible way we were involved in this mess. We pay retail for our Adidas gear and clearly receive no extra payments.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:20 am

There is an error in Tony Paul's article. Bacari got the HC job in April 2016 - not 2015.

The article just reports gossip that he has read on Twitter, but without attribution to a source. Unprofessional. Sloppy. Mr. Paul can be pro-Oakland without kicking us when we are down. I'll remember this when the Detroit News goes bankrupt.

I now just want Vowels to get this hire so right that we can shove TP's BS right back up his ___________.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 am

If you guys want him to report better information, maybe you demand your school actually talk when someone is trying to get information. Your school refuses to give anyone information but then you guys get mad he’s reporting rumors. Then if nobody covers you at all, you’re mad that there’s an Oakland bias in number of articles. You can’t have it both ways. Stop hiding behind being a private school, pick up a phone when he calls, and put out some positive information to be reported.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:21 am

Jay Smith? I love Jay Smith, but it would seem almost incestuous. Although going back to the days of Ray would be a improvement. There's a whole big world out there with lots of people wanting and able to be a DI head coach. He better be looking everywhere.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:28 am

Oudrummer wrote:If you guys want him to report better information, maybe you demand your school actually talk when someone is trying to get information. Your school refuses to give anyone information but then you guys get mad he’s reporting rumors. Then if nobody covers you at all, you’re mad that there’s an Oakland bias in number of articles. You can’t have it both ways. Stop hiding behind being a private school, pick up a phone when he calls, and put out some positive information to be reported.

The reporter can be pro-Oakland without kicking us when we are down. He did not have to conclude his report with a comment about how Oakland has done better recently and imply that it has better facilities. That's a pro-Kampe recruiting spiel right before the signing date. That goes beyond what an honest reporter should do - especially when he reported Bacari's date of hire inaccurately.

The reporter ought to be professional enough to recognize that in the midst of an interview process, the school does not want to comment publicly upon anything - especially rumors going around on Twitter. Or stuff he gleans from this board. For example, he has a source at your school that gave him a copy of the internal school memo announcing the identities of the search committee formed to find a replacement for Konya. Your school did not officially give him that memo or disclose to him the existence of a committee or the identities of the people on the committee. If he wants better cooperation from UDM, then he should stop the pro-Oakland spin in his reporting.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 am

I’m suggesting a pro OU spin in his reporting has come from a rapport built with OU and the people there who supply him with information to report. Reporting these things is his job. Don’t we all like those that make our jobs easier?
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am

Oudrummer wrote:I’m suggesting a pro OU spin in his reporting has come from a rapport built with OU and the people there who supply him with information to report. Reporting these things is his job. Don’t we all like those that make our jobs easier?

He should then confine his pro-OU spin to articles about OU and eliminate it from his reporting about us.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 am

As far as Tony Paul is concerned as well as the rest of the media, we can't control what they write, however, we can control what we do. So U of D should forget what he and others write and focus on building a good basketball program, then good publicity will follow. Also, U of D shouldn't berate what the reporters say about us. The school has to woo the press. The AD, SID, etc should invite Tony Paul and other writers to campus for interviews and have beer and sandwiches for them. Keep them happy. We should be press-friendly. Ignore negative stuff and focus on the positive. Dick Vitale and Sparky Anderson set good examples on how to get along with the sports writers and tv people.
Last edited by TitanVoiceofReason on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:56 pm

I honestly don't see what Tony has done wrong, but perhaps I'm not as sensitive about this sort of thing as others around here. He consistently writes about the non-UM/MSU colleges in the state which is a good thing.

What is our narrative and what should he be saying? It's all flowers and sunshine at 6 / Livernois? If he did that he'd get ragged for not being realistic.

The truth may hurt -- our baby is ugly -- and it's always a bummer and stings that much more to have other people say our baby is ugly, whether its a reporter, or a fan of another team. Oakland is relevant to the discussions because they are a peer institution in the Horizon / mid-major world (Although not a peer in that they've outpaced us for the last few years -- overall and head to head). It is what it is. If we don't like, we have to win. Or, as others have pointed out we need to improve our press interactions. This whole story could be "UDM is set to remake its basketball program and rise from the ashes". That narrative isn't out there. There is NO narrative out there so we are at the mercy of others to create it. Otherwise, heckuva job Vowels!
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:I honestly don't see what Tony has done wrong, but perhaps I'm not as sensitive about this sort of thing as others around here. He consistently writes about the non-UM/MSU colleges in the state which is a good thing.

What is our narrative and what should he be saying? It's all flowers and sunshine at 6 / Livernois? If he did that he'd get ragged for not being realistic.

The truth may hurt -- our baby is ugly -- and it's always a bummer and stings that much more to have other people say our baby is ugly, whether its a reporter, or a fan of another team. Oakland is relevant to the discussions because they are a peer institution in the Horizon / mid-major world (Although not a peer in that they've outpaced us for the last few years -- overall and head to head). It is what it is. If we don't like, we have to win. Or, as others have pointed out we need to improve our press interactions. This whole story could be "UDM is set to remake its basketball program and rise from the ashes". That narrative isn't out there. There is NO narrative out there so we are at the mercy of others to create it. Otherwise, heckuva job Vowels!

Good, fair post
HSScout1
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:I honestly don't see what Tony has done wrong, but perhaps I'm not as sensitive about this sort of thing as others around here. He consistently writes about the non-UM/MSU colleges in the state which is a good thing.

Exactly...It seems pretty obvious the athletic department is basically ignoring the one guy that actually covers the state mid-major teams and I don't think the Oakland coverage is over the top. Whether or not you want to admit it, Oakland is our rival and we're always going to be compared to them. Part of it may be that people are still pissed that Oakland is in the league and has dominated us in most areas (Holy crap, I just looked at the Metro Series, 19-1!?!?!). Lets be honest, our basketball team is a dumpster fire at the moment and there isn't a whole lot of good things to say about us, especially when they make his job harder.
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm

What the article got wrong was the year in which we hired Bacari.

Excuse me, the school is not ignoring the reporter. The article does state that "an Athletic Department official" confirmed that Josh McFolley is transferring.

I do not expect the AD or the President to tell any reporter anything about the state of the current hiring process until there is real news. Why should the AD waste his time talking to any media person and answer questions about who has applied and who he is considering for the position? The department's website still lists Jermaine Jackson as the Interim Head coach. That ought to be enough for now.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm

He does not consistently right about it, in fact I don't think it was his beat until recently. He was baseball writer, he probably gets some coin for writing these fluff pieces. Do we need to improve our press interactions? Yes, but we have needed that for years.
titanmike
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm

titanmike wrote:

He does not consistently right about it, in fact I don't think it was his beat until recently. He was baseball writer, he probably gets some coin for writing these fluff pieces. Do we need to improve our press interactions? Yes, but we have needed that for years.

Maybe we should think about hiring a new sports information director...oh I forgot, we still need a new mens basketball coach. Can Vowels multitask? Is that too much to ask for a guy being paid well into the 6 figures? :cry: :oops:
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

R.B.J1 wrote:Maybe we should think about hiring a new sports information director...oh I forgot, we still need a new mens basketball coach. Can Vowels multitask? Is that too much to ask for a guy being paid well into the 6 figures? :cry: :oops:

Can he single task? When I was on the Titan Club Board it took forever to get an answer from him on anything, and, I think, it took him 5 years to come up with his 5 year plan.

We haven't had an SID for a while. They have many people doing what the they call Director of Communications, each have several sports to "communicate." I'm sure PJ and the bunch do a fine job. Or at least I think they do. They seem to be more internal communications that the role of the SID. But times have changed with social media, no real local news, live streaming, etc.

The one good thing about Bacari was that he was more open about stuff than everyone else down there.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball