When will the new coach be hired?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Mon 4/30 - Wed 5/2
8%
Thurs 5/3 - Sun 5/6
23%
Mon 5/7 - Wed 5/9
15%
Thurs 5/10 - Sun 5/13
8%
Mon 5/14 - Wed 5/16
8%
Thurs 5/17 - Sun 5/20
No votes
Mon 5/21 or later
38%

Total votes : 13

When will the new coach be hired?

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Pick one from the range of dates. I'll start with this upcoming Monday since it doesn't sound like it's imminent. The deadline to vote is Monday. We'll make the official date as the day of the press conference/press release, whatever is earlier (if they're different), and not the day that Titan Mike finally lets us know what he's known all along :D
HSScout1
Senior

Re: When will the new coach be hired?

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 pm

I voted the first choice. The Mole's prank has brought the parties together and a contract will soon be agreed upon :lol:
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I voted the first choice. The Mole's prank has brought the parties together and a contract will soon be agreed upon :lol:

I hope you are right. I picked the period that ends 5-13 because I have a bad feeling that the imposters making the hiring decision do not feel the Men's BB program is as important to the University as we do. The LOI's have to be in by 5-16 so they probably feel that giving a guy 3-5 days to move his family, hire a staff,recruit and get the LOI's in, is plenty of time. I feel they are making this assumption based on their feeling that everyone has about the same work ethic and passion as they do. I do have a couple of questions. If Vowels did go to the Final Four and spent some of the Athletic Departments funds. Did he take his spouse and what did he do?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 am

The longer this drags on it appears to me the the announcement and hiring is driven by cost/ budget constraints. The assistants contracts normally expire June 30. My guess is they will have an overlap of Head Coach expense in this years budget and are dragging the process out. I would not be surprised that next years schedule will include a high number of buy in games to provide additional funds for the budget.
1975SHjoe
Freshman

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:41 am

At this point, if its an obvious choice like Zeigler, the Ferris guy, a Wayne St. guy, Stephens, Waters, etc my head will explode. It better be someone f'ing brilliant.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:43 am

1975SHjoe wrote:The longer this drags on it appears to me the the announcement and hiring is driven by cost/ budget constraints. The assistants contracts normally expire June 30. My guess is they will have an overlap of Head Coach expense in this years budget and are dragging the process out. I would not be surprised that next years schedule will include a high number of buy in games to provide additional funds for the budget.

If the accountants are controlling this then were are done.That is probably one major reason it has been so difficult to turn our decline around. I feel you can not cut to a profit only delay your demise. I have always felt you need to sell and become more efficient to stop a declining trend. If we did go to Indianapolis I would love to see the expenses and who went. I wonder if Lacrone received a free meal or a couple rounds of golf while we were there and why we would even go in the first place knowing we were not going to even start to make a decision until 3-4 wks. later.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:At this point, if its an obvious choice like Zeigler, the Ferris guy, a Wayne St. guy, Stephens, Waters, etc my head will explode. It better be someone f'ing brilliant.

Of the 5 you mentioned, I am hearing Ziegler and Bronkema in mix.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Bronkema would be pretty exciting. Ziegler, not so much.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Titan Jim wrote:Bronkema would be pretty exciting. Ziegler, not so much.

A successful DII coach doesn't knock my socks off, but my head will explode since he was one the first names mentioned, like, 16 years ago and it took this long to close the deal.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
Titan Jim wrote:Bronkema would be pretty exciting. Ziegler, not so much.

A successful DII coach doesn't knock my socks off, but my head will explode since he was one the first names mentioned, like, 16 years ago and it took this long to close the deal.

I don’t think that Bronkema is necessarily a slam dunk, but at least he knows how to win, recruit (I think) and develop his players. There is also a buzz about him. I am willing to live with the potential downsides.

WRT timing, I do know that Ferris didn’t have their official national championship celebration until very recently. Also, one of their assistants is leaving for a HC position. Maybe, it was just too soon for Bronkema to leave.
Last edited by Titan Jim on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I heard yesterday that the University is using a hiring committee approach to fill this position. Generally that’s not a bad idea and of course not unusual, but often (when time is of the essence) a MBB head coach selection decision is left to the AD in consultation with a limited number of key advisors. Taking time to select members for the committee, coordinate schedules, etc., can bog down the process.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm

They should have selected at least one member of this board to serve on the committee. I'm outraged.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:18 pm

1975SHjoe wrote:The longer this drags on it appears to me the the announcement and hiring is driven by cost/ budget constraints. The assistants contracts normally expire June 30. My guess is they will have an overlap of Head Coach expense in this years budget and are dragging the process out. I would not be surprised that next years schedule will include a high number of buy in games to provide additional funds for the budget.

I was thinking the same thing. All the more reason why I thought Bacari Alexander would get a 3rd year. Whats the difference between Bacari Alexander going 8-24 in 2018-2019 and Kevin Ollie,Ziegler or Bronkenma going 8-24 during the 2018-2019 season?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:15 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I was thinking the same thing. All the more reason why I thought Bacari Alexander would get a 3rd year. Whats the difference between Bacari Alexander going 8-24 in 2018-2019 and Kevin Ollie, Ziegler or Bronkenma going 8-24 during the 2018-2019 season?

The difference would be in 2019-20.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Is it possible to add a date to vote for that starts in July? It's unbelievable how long this is taking. They had to have an idea in February that there would be a new coaching search. How is it possible that we are in May and still have no end in sight? At this point, we will have a team with more walk-ons than recruits. It is reasonable to assume that any current player out there without a team has baggage and it is possible that a new hire would be looking at recruits who fit more with Oakland and Kampe than not. I do not have any insight on what our AD does, but it does not reflect well on our school to be in this position. At age 60, I can still hit an occasional three. Maybe I should move back to Detroit and re-enroll since I have not used up any of my eligibility.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Sorry, 77-85. You have five or six years from taking your first class to use up your four years of eligibility.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:08 pm

It seems as if Garabaldi and Vowels do not care if the MBB program has success and they might feel that a winning program is not a plus for the university. When I get my next letter from the University asking for assistance I am going to write back and tell the sender to mail it to Garibaldi.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Only 14 days left after today for D1 schools to sign a letter of intent with MBB recruits.

Heard a rumor that someone will be on campus for an interview tomorrow, so the University could still be multiple days away from announcing a new head coach.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Jermaine will be named the head coach once his 'issues' get cleared-up. Bank on it.

Why would he be hanging around this long? Well, besides the fact that no one wants to hire him...

I know why his kid hasn't transferred: Because he's a D3 player and no one wants him.
bctitans1987
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball