When will the new coach be hired?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Mon 4/30 - Wed 5/2
8%
Thurs 5/3 - Sun 5/6
23%
Mon 5/7 - Wed 5/9
15%
Thurs 5/10 - Sun 5/13
8%
Mon 5/14 - Wed 5/16
8%
Thurs 5/17 - Sun 5/20
No votes
Mon 5/21 or later
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: When will the new coach be hired?

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm

TitanONeill wrote:
77-85Titan wrote:If you took a step back and looked at the past two years as a non-Titan fan what would your reaction be? Pretend it was Western, Eastern, Butler, Loyola or Marquette, which includes public and private schools. A school that claims to be putting D-! Athletics in the forefront and produces those kinds of results along with the inability to run a proper process would be looked on as a total mess and treated as such. It would be a laughing stock and not taken seriously by the press, the fans, and potential recruits. Can you imagine a star athlete thinking about coming to the school and having competing coaches trash the school? How easy would it be to get new recruits for the foreseeable future? This is the state of our school. What are the alternatives? Keep attending games? Keep donating? For some, this is not a problem, but for most it is. For better or worse, one of the board's jobs is to continue to raise the school's public perception and for many schools, that is done with sports. If any other school was doing what U-D is doing, I would wonder if it was a purposeful sabotage to drop sports. In my opinion, the board needs to answer publicly as to what is going on and what will be done about it, all the way up to removing the AD and others who are involved with the disgraceful hiring process.

Spot on. This is why we all should irate. Where is our local press? Why doesn't anyone besides this board care? The pitch forks and fires would be banging on any other school.

My theory: this will go on. JJ will get ultimately get gig due to timeline issues as the reason given. Vowels will ask for our forgiveness he will say that he tried and that ultimately in order for us to move forward JJ will be coach. We will be horrible next year. Board of trustees will fire Garibaldi and Vowels at the end of the season after a severe donation and attendance drought.

By the way, until there is any further communication by the AD let's all just keep spreading rumors...at least it gets us a lil publicity.

Where’s the local press? Tony Paul has reported that the school won’t return any of the Detroit News’ calls. Can’t blame him for not writing more frequently about this process when they won’t even give him the time of day.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Our fears result from the fact that the school or AD have not stated the general objectives of this hiring process. This should have been done at the outset by written press release so that we could place the lack of a new coach in proper perspective. All of us are justifiably concerned about the team for the 2018-19 season because there is no coach named, the NLI signing period ends Wednesday, and the school has only disclosed that it had not contacted Pitino as claimed in mid-April.

When you permit an information vacuum to exist, it is not surprising that the scenarios articulated above start to appear credible even if they are not true. In a prolonged search, the school should have been telling fans, alumni, and others its reasons for taking this long instead of making a quick hire like it did with Bacari in 2016. Once we know the final decision, the school needs to explain why it chose to employ a deliberate hiring process that risks losing the protection of an NLI for this recruiting class.

I choose to keep an open mind about the wisdom of the actual process and give the school a chance to explain its reasons. That said, the school should have warned its remaining fans about this possibility ahead of time. I would not call this decision "disgraceful." But I would call it "unwise." There is still a chance that we get an announcement tomorrow.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm

ptctitan wrote:Our fears result from the fact that the school or AD have not stated the general objectives of this hiring process. This should have been done at the outset by written press release so that we could place the lack of a new coach in proper perspective. All of us are justifiably concerned about the team for the 2018-19 season because there is no coach named, the NLI signing period ends Wednesday, and the school has only disclosed that it had not contacted Pitino as claimed in mid-April.

When you permit an information vacuum to exist, it is not surprising that the scenarios articulated above start to appear credible even if they are not true. In a prolonged search, the school should have been telling fans, alumni, and others its reasons for taking this long instead of making a quick hire like it did with Bacari in 2016. Once we know the final decision, the school needs to explain why it chose to employ a deliberate hiring process that risks losing the protection of an NLI for this recruiting class.

I choose to keep an open mind about the wisdom of the actual process and give the school a chance to explain its reasons. That said, the school should have warned its remaining fans about this possibility ahead of time. I would not call this decision "disgraceful." But I would call it "unwise." There is still a chance that we get an announcement tomorrow.

PCTitan you are the eternal optimist, which is great. :D
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

FFS. It's May 15th. Nothing from the university, athletics, or Vowels?! Not even a token tweet about how they are conducting the search and trying to get it right and that they hope people understand?! They call this division 1 athletics? This is a damn joke.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue May 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:FFS. It's May 15th. Nothing from the university, athletics, or Vowels?! Not even a token tweet about how they are conducting the search and trying to get it right and that they hope people understand?! They call this division 1 athletics? This is a damn joke.

They don't want to put out anything because it would be further embarrassment. Wait until we start hearing who turned down the job. There must be many of them. And everyone will know that the guy who takes it was probably our 18th choice. Those 800 fans in attendance last year will be down to 400 next year.

Nice work Vowels! You took a moderately successful program and threw in the toilet. :roll:
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm really trying to wrap my arms around this and what it means. WHY. WHY has this taken so long. WHY haven't names we know and expect been discussed. I just don't get this. WHY would a. Ouch making 100k turn down this job. I hope we get answers someday
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Notsosmart wrote:I'm really trying to wrap my arms around this and what it means. WHY. WHY has this taken so long. WHY haven't names we know and expect been discussed. I just don't get this. WHY would a. Ouch making 100k turn down this job. I hope we get answers someday

Even if a candidate can double his salary, someone with marketable skills might be scared off taking a job in what could be viewed as a dysfunctional work environment. Might be better to wait for a better opportunity.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Will OJ find the real killers before UD names its new men's BB head coach?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Of course, the university has never officially said that it is even conducting a search for a new men's head BB coach.

On April 24 (21 days ago) the university said two things: 1) it did not contact Pitino; and, 2) it would be reviewing candidates in the near future. In the March 26 announcement of Bacari's firing, the university never said that it would conduct a search to find a new coach.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm

ptctitan wrote:Of course, the university has never officially said that it is even conducting a search for a new men's head BB coach.

On April 24 (21 days ago) the university said two things: 1) it did not contact Pitino; and, 2) it would be reviewing candidates in the near future. In the March 26 announcement of Bacari's firing, the university never said that it would conduct a search to find a new coach.

In that April statement, did it say what it would be reviewing candidates for? Maybe it is reviewing candidates for security personnel, or groundskeepers, of faculty, or receptionists, or ... . And what exactly is the "near future" for an order that has existed for nearly 500 years?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:34 pm

The only remotely interesting thing we have had as a fan base the past two months was the hilarious Pitino prank pulled by The Mole.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 15, 2018 6:58 pm

University statement of April 24.

"As erroneously reported by The Detroit News, University of Detroit Mercy has NOT contacted Rick Pitino about the University’s men’s head basketball position. The University will be reviewing candidates in the near future."

It does not say candidates for what. More importantly, nowhere has the university ever said that it has been actively searching to hire a replacement for Bacari.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am

Very quiet on the board here. It is starting to resemble Calihan Hall.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 am

udballer wrote:Very quiet on the board here. It is starting to resemble Calihan Hall.

At this point, I just don't care very much anymore. Congrats Vowels.
Titans03
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 am

Titans03 wrote:
udballer wrote:Very quiet on the board here. It is starting to resemble Calihan Hall.

And that's the shame of all of this. Titan hoops brings us joy, happiness, camaraderie, something to watch/do in the cold winter months.

And this process -- thanks to Vowels, thanks to everyone down at LIvernois & 6 -- has just decimated our interest, our hopes. They've successfully snatched away something that was positive in our lives. That's what makes me most angry.

It did NOT have to unfold this way, yet here we are with about a dozen people left who are now resigned and sorta, almost kinda give a crp.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 16, 2018 11:54 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:
Titans03 wrote:

And that's the shame of all of this. Titan hoops brings us joy, happiness, camaraderie, something to watch/do in the cold winter months.

And this process -- thanks to Vowels, thanks to everyone down at LIvernois & 6 -- has just decimated our interest, our hopes. They've successfully snatched away something that was positive in our lives. That's what makes me most angry.

It did NOT have to unfold this way, yet here we are with about a dozen people left who are now resigned and sorta, almost kinda give a crp.

We can not forget how this was handled and regardless of the out come there are more than one or two people at Liv. & 6 that need to go.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm

The search, which obviously was contemplated during the season, is now in its official 9th week. Since hardly anyone else is searching at this point, it's not like we are talking to guys with multiple offers. While others don't think it is disgraceful, I do. It took way too long to even get started, there has been no mention of the process or even any progress. A search committee was formed way too late (did it even need to be formed?), and here we are today left holding the bag. All of our recruits have done a 180 and existing players are leaving in droves. Has a team ever started the season without a coach? Do we even have enough players to form a team? Do we have five left? If not disgraceful, can we come up with other terms to describe this mess we are in? I'll be interested to see the responses.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Wed May 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Put me in the I don't care anymore category. If they don't, why should I? No communication, no respect, etc. But they will take our money though, right? I understand as fans, we are squat. But this is a dwindling fan base that is the main source of financials. Bottom line...u don't piss off your customers. And that's what they did. Onto some serious damage control at this point.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm

If I copied the email that I received from Vowels, it would send all of you over the edge. Maybe I'll just shoot it over to Tony Paul??? In a nutshell, he told me to go f%@* myself...Nice professionalism.

The guy is an embarrassment to the working man. What a debacle!
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:If I copied the email that I received from Vowels, it would send all of you over the edge. Maybe I'll just shoot it over to Tony Paul??? In a nutshell, he told me to go f%@* myself...Nice professionalism.

The guy is an embarrassment to the working man. What a debacle!

Vowels actually replied to your email?!
Titans03
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball