When will the new coach be hired?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Mon 4/30 - Wed 5/2
8%
Thurs 5/3 - Sun 5/6
23%
Mon 5/7 - Wed 5/9
15%
Thurs 5/10 - Sun 5/13
8%
Mon 5/14 - Wed 5/16
8%
Thurs 5/17 - Sun 5/20
No votes
Mon 5/21 or later
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: When will the new coach be hired?

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue May 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Everything that possibly can be said without more facts has already been said. It would be more exciting watching a relief pitcher warm up.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Does anyone have ANYTHING? Like anything that will lead me to believe anyone does anything at Calihan in regards to the coaching search? This is disgusting. Hire a damn coach. ANYONE at this point.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 pm

I saw that Romeo Weems from New Haven chose DePaul today. If Vowels had a clue he would have chosen Mann, Stevens or Donnelly by now and the Titans would have had a chance at landing him. Now he is off to Chicago. I have no idea why Vowels is screwing around and taking the program further into the dumpster. We will clearly be one of the 5 worst teams in D1 this year. With Mann, Stevens or Donnelly the program would advance quickly and we would have high quality and high caliber leaders. Plus program integrity would be elevated to levels not seen in a long time at UDM. Also, the player recruitment would be at levels not seen at 6 & Livernois for years. God knows we need some high quality leaders at UDM because the current Vowels organization has to be one of the worst in the country.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:06 pm

Titans96 wrote:I saw that Romeo Weems from New Haven chose DePaul today. If Vowels had a clue he would have chosen Mann, Stevens or Donnelly by now and the Titans would have had a chance at landing him. Now he is off to Chicago. I have no idea why Vowels is screwing around and taking the program further into the dumpster. We will clearly be one of the 5 worst teams in D1 this year. With Mann, Stevens or Donnelly the program would advance quickly and we would have high quality and high caliber leaders. Plus program integrity would be elevated to levels not seen in a long time at UDM. Also, the player recruitment would be at levels not seen at 6 & Livernois for years. God knows we need some high quality leaders at UDM because the current Vowels organization has to be one of the worst in the country.

Vowels could’ve hired Gregg Popivoch... Weems ain’t coming to UDM.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 am

So did Mike Davis fall through? Or will we never hear about that either?
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 am

Titans03 wrote:So did Mike Davis fall through? Or will we never hear about that either?

I’m guessing Davis candidacy is in the delicate end stages of a longer-than-expected negotiation, or (starting to believe this is more likely) things fizzled out yesterday and it’s on to approaching the next guy on the list.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 am

I really hope that it is the former and not the latter. I really like Miles Davis, I mean Mike Davis. :-)
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 am

Titan Jim wrote:I really hope that it is the former and not the latter. I really like Miles Davis, I mean Mike Davis. :-)

I have always liked Miles Davis music.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

Can we put our program on hiatus for a year to save the embarrassment and money? Use the money from this year's budget to get the right coach in; recruit some players; right the ship; hype the program's return; get a new AD; paint the locker rooms; reduce the "price" to get in the TC room, change the name of the Club from Titan Athletic Club back to Titan Club; put some recliners courtside with waiter service (Sponsored by Tilted Kilt, Twin Peaks and/or Hooters); schedule the fly dogs and Professor Titan. Just asking for a friend.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:Can we put our program on hiatus for a year to save the embarrassment and money? Use the money from this year's budget to get the right coach in; recruit some players; right the ship; hype the program's return; get a new AD; paint the locker rooms; reduce the "price" to get in the TC room, change the name of the Club from Titan Athletic Club back to Titan Club; put some recliners courtside with waiter service (Sponsored by Tilted Kilt, Twin Peaks and/or Hooters); schedule the fly dogs and Professor Titan. Just asking for a friend.

Why can't we do the above items and still have a season? We can not sit out a year and expect to achieve a positive result. I am trying to grasp how running a university is any different than running a corporation. The president is the CEO and the Athletic director is a Vice president or General Manager of the Athletic Division. This individual should have a closing techniques and be an exceptional organizer and negotiator. I would be curious to see the job description for the Athletic Director at U of D.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am

There are rumors on the U of Houston board that Sampson might be in negotiations with the Orlando Magic for their coaching position. I wonder how that will affect their 4 signees.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:There are rumors on the U of Houston board that Sampson might be in negotiations with the Orlando Magic for their coaching position. I wonder how that will affect their 4 signees.

Houston will probably hire Mike Davis. :roll:
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:There are rumors on the U of Houston board that Sampson might be in negotiations with the Orlando Magic for their coaching position. I wonder how that will affect their 4 signees.

Houston will probably hire Mike Davis. :roll:

Bingo
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 pm

My guess is that the Houston AD has already proactively reached out to Davis and provided an assessment of the situation. That way if the Cougar position becomes vacant, both parties are prepared to move quickly.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:My guess is that the Houston AD has already proactively reached out to Davis and provided an assessment of the situation. That way if the Cougar position becomes vacant, both parties are prepared to move quickly.

Proactively preparing for a future opening that is an unheard of concept, especially to Mr. Robert Vowels.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed May 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:My guess is that the Houston AD has already proactively reached out to Davis and provided an assessment of the situation. That way if the Cougar position becomes vacant, both parties are prepared to move quickly.

I'm wondering if the possibility of becoming the head coach at the University of Houston resulted in Mike Davis rejecting the offer from UDM.
titandave
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm

titandave wrote:

I'm wondering if the possibility of becoming the head coach at the University of Houston resulted in Mike Davis rejecting the offer from UDM.

Could be. The Houston job pays in the neighborhood of $1,000,000 and they actually have people show up for their home games and everything. Davis’ son already signed with UH, the Davis family already lives in the Houston area, etc., all that factors into the decision making process as well. He might decide it’s well worth the risk to reject the UDM offer and hope the UH job materializes. You can see why it is not wise to move grudgingly slow on filling a coaching position, stuff can happen that upsets the apple cart.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:24 pm

The "show up for their home games and everything." reminded me of this:
https://youtu.be/5n6gwNTpD-E
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 pm

When UDM finally ends up working out a deal with the eventual selectee in late spring/early summer, it will be negotiating from a weakened position. The coach will know how desperate we are to fill the job, how many candidates turned the opportunity down, etc. The University might end up paying a lot more to hire say, Stan Heath or Ernie Ziegler, than we would have if we had a normal two-week process that was competed in March or early April.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:When UDM finally ends up working out a deal with the eventual selectee in late spring/early summer, it will be negotiating from a weakened position. The coach will know how desperate we are to fill the job, how many candidates turned the opportunity down, etc. The University might end up paying a lot more to hire say, Stan Heath or Ernie Ziegler, than we would have if we had a normal two-week process that was competed in March or early April.

Thats why Jermaine Jackson Sr. will be the "interim" coach for the 2018-2019 season. There is a reason JJJr. or Ballantyne have not announced that their transferring via twitter.
R.B.J1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball