When will the new coach be hired?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Mon 4/30 - Wed 5/2
8%
Thurs 5/3 - Sun 5/6
23%
Mon 5/7 - Wed 5/9
15%
Thurs 5/10 - Sun 5/13
8%
Mon 5/14 - Wed 5/16
8%
Thurs 5/17 - Sun 5/20
No votes
Mon 5/21 or later
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: When will the new coach be hired?

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:04 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:When UDM finally ends up working out a deal with the eventual selectee in late spring/early summer, it will be negotiating from a weakened position. The coach will know how desperate we are to fill the job, how many candidates turned the opportunity down, etc. The University might end up paying a lot more to hire say, Stan Heath or Ernie Ziegler, than we would have if we had a normal two-week process that was competed in March or early April.

Thats why Jermaine Jackson Sr. will be the "interim" coach for the 2018-2019 season. There is a reason JJJr. or Ballantyne have not announced that their transferring via twitter.

Maybe it’s because they have no options of schools to transfer to...?
Titans03
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:When UDM finally ends up working out a deal with the eventual selectee in late spring/early summer, it will be negotiating from a weakened position. The coach will know how desperate we are to fill the job, how many candidates turned the opportunity down, etc. The University might end up paying a lot more to hire say, Stan Heath or Ernie Ziegler, than we would have if we had a normal two-week process that was competed in March or early April.

Thats why Jermaine Jackson Sr. will be the "interim" coach for the 2018-2019 season. There is a reason JJJr. or Ballantyne have not announced that their transferring via twitter.

Nope
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm

There is zero chance JJSr is any type of coach for UDM this year. The “legal issues” are enough reason to justify his not being anywhere close to the school. He surely hasn't been recruiting for the team - I wonder why?

In regards to JJJr and Ballantyne, there are no other options for them to go and get a free ride to college. Who wants players who couldn't even help one of the worst teams in D1 last year? They have to stay if they want a scholarship.
Titans96
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 pm

titanmike wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:

Nope

Honestly, without getting Bronk or Davis, at this point we probably are better letting JJ be interim coach for next year. It is better to do that, than say hired failed re-treads in Heath or Ziegler to 5 year deals.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 pm

It appears that perhaps for reasons some people understandably wouldn’t want to discuss on a message board, JJ is possibly not on the list of candidates still under consideration. Given how long this process has stretched out, one would think that if this was in fact a viable hiring option, it would have already occurred.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Tacitus - Those who don't read history (including Economic history) are doomed to repeat it.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Tacitus - Those who don't read history (including Economic history) are doomed to repeat it.

Like the last three decades of history of free trade NAFTA BS that decimated the Michigan auto industry?

I bet that Trump renegotiates (or, better yet, withdraws from) NAFTA before Vowels hires a coach.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 pm

I am sorry Tacitus, but your comment does not deserve a reply on this forum. Take to a different forum. At least on this forum everyone agrees that we need a new coach. That is a fact, not someone's altered reality.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Jim Phillips, VP for Athletics & Recreation for Northwestern University, was named Athletic Director of the year by the Sports Business Journal today.

How in the world was our man Vowels not honored with that award????
Titans96
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
StJoeUofD wrote:Tacitus - Those who don't read history (including Economic history) are doomed to repeat it.

Like the last three decades of history of free trade NAFTA BS that decimated the Michigan auto industry?

I bet that Trump renegotiates (or, better yet, withdraws from) NAFTA before Vowels hires a coach.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:41 am

Hey! We made CBS Sports for our incompetence!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... r-a-coach/
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:14 pm

cjmcgow35 wrote:Hey! We made CBS Sports for our incompetence!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... r-a-coach/

Vowels does have a goal to increase our media presence.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Good to know , we have one thing going for us.

"Chicago State- It was time. Dildy won only 55 games in eight seasons. Chicago State is struggling -- to say the least -- to field a program suitable for Division I competition. Two coaches told CBS Sports earlier this year that this is school is viewed as being in the worst position in college basketball. "
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu May 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Today on the Karsch and Anderson Show (97.1 The Ticket) it was reported that Orlando is targeting Tom Izzo as its next coach. Perhaps Kelvin Sampson will be staying put at Houston and maybe, just maybe we are still in the running for Mike Davis. Also, Vowels was the commissioner of the same conference that Texas Southern is a member. We shouldn't disregard those connections. I'm surmising there is a strong bond not only among its member schools but with its current and former players, coaches and all who have ever been associated with the conference. I am not discounting that connection.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu May 24, 2018 1:55 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:Today on the Karsch and Anderson Show (97.1 The Ticket) it was reported that Orlando is targeting Tom Izzo as its next coach. Perhaps Kelvin Sampson will be staying put at Houston and maybe, just maybe we are still in the running for Mike Davis. Also, Vowels was the commissioner of the same conference that Texas Southern is a member. We shouldn't disregard those connections. I'm surmising there is a strong bond not only among its member schools but with its current and former players, coaches and all who have ever been associated with the conference. I am not discounting that connection.

Whatever plays out, I'm hoping Mike Davis becomes a UDM Titan. :)
titandave
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:28 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:Today on the Karsch and Anderson Show (97.1 The Ticket) it was reported that Orlando is targeting Tom Izzo as its next coach. Perhaps Kelvin Sampson will be staying put at Houston and maybe, just maybe we are still in the running for Mike Davis. Also, Vowels was the commissioner of the same conference that Texas Southern is a member. We shouldn't disregard those connections. I'm surmising there is a strong bond not only among its member schools but with its current and former players, coaches and all who have ever been associated with the conference. I am not discounting that connection.

Rumors are that Izzo's job might be on the line. MSU does not view domestic violence and rape thru the same pink glasses as the MSU extension up the road. It sounds like some of Izzo's players have gotten out of some pretty bad situations. The number of offenses thrown at me today was 16. So Izzo might be getting out while the getting is good. the Orlando job is probably a 2-3 yr. job for someone who is getting out of coaching. As far as Davis, I hope that TVOR is right. I am wondering what relationship a commissioner would have with a coach. I would think that the commissioners office would deal directly with the Athletic Director and would not come into contact with the member schools coaches.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 pm

UP, by a relationship I mean they have a common bond. Both men have roots in the SWAC. The conference's schools are historically black universities and colleges. I believe (of course I may be wrong) that an instant bond exists among people who have any kind of a connection to those schools and/or conference. I witnessed something like this in regards to the small town my Dad came from. If you came from Emmett you were family, whether you are related by blood or not. I believe if Davis ends up as UD's coach the start of it will be the shared connection Vowels and Davis have by their association with the SWAC.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 24, 2018 11:05 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:UP, by a relationship I mean they have a common bond. Both men have roots in the SWAC. The conference's schools are historically black universities and colleges. I believe (of course I may be wrong) that an instant bond exists among people who have any kind of a connection to those schools and/or conference. I witnessed something like this in regards to the small town my Dad came from. If you came from Emmett you were family, whether you are related by blood or not. I believe if Davis ends up as UD's coach the start of it will be the shared connection Vowels and Davis have by their association with the SWAC.

I sure hope you are right!
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Bernie Smilovitz (Channel 4) on the 11:00 PM News just reported that according to The Lansing Journal, Tom Izzo is staying at MSU. Too bad.
Titan Jim
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball