When will the new coach be hired?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Mon 4/30 - Wed 5/2
8%
Thurs 5/3 - Sun 5/6
23%
Mon 5/7 - Wed 5/9
15%
Thurs 5/10 - Sun 5/13
8%
Mon 5/14 - Wed 5/16
8%
Thurs 5/17 - Sun 5/20
No votes
Mon 5/21 or later
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: When will the new coach be hired?

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:40 pm

DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:
bctitans1987 wrote:No press conference this week, or ever. The 'interim' coach, JJ, will remain. Book it. I have said this before and I stand by it.

UDM is the worst run organization (outside of the U.S. Government) in the world. Mediocrity reigns supreme.

OK Greg Kampe, you have no idea what is going on with this University and talking out of your rear end especially since you said that you stopped caring and supporting years ago. I agree with Rogobob, better communication is needed from Athletics, otherwise this happens to its fan base, the crazy people start running the asylum. I believe I have read elsewhere on several occasions that you stopped caring and supporting this program, why even post on here, why put down the school if you don't care anymore, ego boost (might need to see shrink bro)? I have been reading this board since before Ray was coach and decided to recently join this group but honestly some of you have so much hate. If you don't like Vowels address it with Garibaldi, if you don't like Garibaldi address it with the Board of Trustees, but stop making S*** up. Someone on here recently talked about going to D3 or D2, I have personally expressed my concerns about Athletics to several board members and the President and have been assured we are committed to being a competitive D1 program. I recently pledged a substantial amount for the lights project for Titan Field and was shown several other projects that are coming down the pipeline for facilities for athletics. So if you guys care about the school and don't like the AD contact the President, if you don't like them both, contact the board of trustees, if needed I will put up their phone numbers and emails on here but don't make crap up that will hurt long term plans to improve things for our program or for other teams which are competitive, from potentially recruiting student athletes. Before some jerk comes on this board to say that no one reads this board, you would be surprised how many student-athletes actually read this, I have had several interactions over the last 2 years with Men's basketball players on our team that said they read some of this. This blog comes up as one of the top searches when you google University of Detroit Mercy so please if you support the school think about what you say. We had a solid season with Lax both men's and women's and men's tennis and I intend to support those student athletes, not Garibaldi or Vowels but the students, also pledging a flat amount that if any of our teams make it to their conf championship they get a financial reward, if they win a conf championship they get another amount to create incentive for other programs to be competitive. I agree our athletic programs overall have become mediocre and change is needed, but sometimes I feel like we might have some of the worst supporters on here that find any reason not to support the student athletes, I have made my opinion clear to the President what it would it take for me to give more money to Athletics, more competitive teams, if that means better coaches than so be it, if it means a different AD then so be it. I was told no matter who the AD is we need lights for our field, it would save 250k a year in costs of bussing and renting facilities after dark for our students to practice, better experience for our student body overall, so I said I will do this because it helps the students out and this will make us more competitive in 6 of our sports, it allows us to have night games and recruit better student athletes.

When do you think the new coach will be hired and who will it be?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 am

Pretty soon Rogo will need to start measuring the recruiting window in hours instead of days. I never thought I'd be this embarrassed of my alma mater's athletic program. Even compared to March, this is just inconceivable rock bottom. I was hoping they'd start the week with a bang and announce a press conference by 9:30am. I was hoping things are not as bad as they seem, but it's apparent that we are in the same company as Chicago State. We are a marginally better version of Chicago State I suppose.

At this point I can only conclude that Vowels is either intentionally trying to destroy the program, or he is the most incompetent administrator in the history of American higher education. I think it's the latter but I'm less sure every day.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 am

I was wrong I picked the period ending 5-13 thinking that waiting that long would be a terrible decision.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am

JJ = Head Coach
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am

There are currently just 60 hours and change left in the period to sign recruits to LOIs. Perhaps a new coach will be Detroit Mercifully announced tomorrow and then he can pull an all-nighter to get a new class of Titans signed up on Wednesday. Does anyone know how the NCAA-imposed deadline is impacted by time zones? Was thinking that if we target recruits on the left coast or maybe even Hawaii, it would give the incoming coach a few extra hours to work with.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am

The numerous cascading coaching changes that take place at the end of each basketball season coupled with the need to retain current roster and add recruits in a constricted timeframe requires colleges to move very quickly when faced with a MBB coaching vacancy. Although a committee approach may be the way to go in certain hiring situations, it’s almost always totally inappropriate when filling a critical D-1 head coaching job. An AD should be prepared to move quickly and have a large amount of discretion to independently evaluate and make decisions on candidates. You either trust your AD on this or you don’t; if you don’t, time to get a new AD. That’s why I was taken aback when I first heard that UDM was assembling a committee to consider applicants for the HC position. Thought it was a bad approach then and my worst fears about how it would all play out have been realized.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 pm

At this point I am starting to think JJ might actually be the next coach. That would play well into the conspiracy theories about Vowels wanting JJ to be coach the entire time. The reasons I am hesitant about that happening are rumors I have heard from very reputable people about things regarding JJ. I won't post them here, as I can't confirm any of them (I'm not some clown like Tony Paul that just posts anything I read on the internet).

But, at this point, JJ might be the only candidate that could assume the role and find enough live bodies to complete a roster/book a schedule before 4th of July comes.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:At this point I am starting to think JJ might actually be the next coach. That would play well into the conspiracy theories about Vowels wanting JJ to be coach the entire time. The reasons I am hesitant about that happening are rumors I have heard from very reputable people about things regarding JJ. I won't post them here, as I can't confirm any of them (I'm not some clown like Tony Paul that just posts anything I read on the internet).

But, at this point, JJ might be the only candidate that could assume the role and find enough live bodies to complete a roster/book a schedule before 4th of July comes.

Waiting on some info, could be partially accurate.
titanmike
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm

It was confirmed last week that JJ Jr. would return. Now it’s all making sense.

Is it too early for a fire JJ thread?
The-Dude
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:The numerous cascading coaching changes that take place at the end of each basketball season coupled with the need to retain current roster and add recruits in a constricted timeframe requires colleges to move very quickly when faced with a MBB coaching vacancy. Although a committee approach may be the way to go in certain hiring situations, it’s almost always totally inappropriate when filling a critical D-1 head coaching job. An AD should be prepared to move quickly and have a large amount of discretion to independently evaluate and make decisions on candidates. You either trust your AD on this or you don’t; if you don’t, time to get a new AD. That’s why I was taken aback when I first heard that UDM was assembling a committee to consider applicants for the HC position. Thought it was a bad approach then and my worst fears about how it would all play out have been realized.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:57 pm

At this point I’m fine with JJ as coach. Better than Ziegler and I’d be confident he’d at least get a team together for next year. After Bronkema, my second choice is Lindsey Hunter, but he doesn’t appear to be in the mix anymore. Messing things up with Bronkema might be the worst thing Vowels has done.
Titans03
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Titans03 wrote:At this point I’m fine with JJ as coach. Better than Ziegler and I’d be confident he’d at least get a team together for next year. After Bronkema, my second choice is Lindsey Hunter, but he doesn’t appear to be in the mix anymore. Messing things up with Bronkema might be the worst thing Vowels has done.

This could be the funniest thing I have read all day, stay tuned.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm sure I could look this up, but I have all of you.

Does the signing period really matter for high school seniors? If they don't sign by the end of the signing period they can still come here. Chris Hayes didn't come until just before school started and he turned out to be a pretty good player. I'm sure all the really good players are gone, but maybe we can get a guy who is waiting and hoping on an offer from a big school that never comes, and his next 6 fall back schools offered all their scholarships to others.

And its not too early to start the Fire JJ thread. Would they hire JJ an interim for a year since they screwed up this process so bad? Mickey would probably step into the role if need be. This is depressing to type, that director of b-ball operations would be elevated to head coach because we can't even hire someone else (no offense to Mickey, who would probably do a better job than BA or JJ).
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 14, 2018 2:17 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:I'm sure I could look this up, but I have all of you.

Does the signing period really matter for high school seniors? If they don't sign by the end of the signing period they can still come here. Chris Hayes didn't come until just before school started and he turned out to be a pretty good player. I'm sure all the really good players are gone, but maybe we can get a guy who is waiting and hoping on an offer from a big school that never comes, and his next 6 fall back schools offered all their scholarships to others.

You don't need a signed national letter of intent (NLI) in order to recruit a scholarship player. A signed NLI prohibits another coach from recruiting any player who has signed an NLI with your team. In 2012, Ray got Anton Wilson one month after the NLI signing period had expired. Same with Paris Bass. But he lost Shaq McKissic to Arizona State. So, we can still "sign" players for our 2018-19 roster, but we would have no protection against another school recruiting them out from under us if they committed after the NLI period expires tomorrow.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm

TitanKev83 wrote:I agree with bctitans 1987 that Jermaine ultimately will be the head coach. Here's my theory. He could not be "handed the job" without a search process etc. The justification ends up being: 1/ he's the best fit--young and hungry with high school head coaching and college level assistant experience 2/ the continuity for keeping what's left of the team intact as well as recruiting. 3/He will not be paid Bacari level money--thus saving the university some money while still trying to keep the program competitive. 4/There's also the fact that team was 4-3 while he filled in for Bacari. I am not connected enough to know of the infighting amongst Bacari's staff and whether JJ was an instigator or not, nor his role--real or rumored-- in SMD. That said, I am willing to give him a chance.

The team played well for him, he's had a hand in the recruitment of much of the roster and he brings NBA contacts (Kevin Durant and Willie to name two) that could help with future recruiting and more importantly, fundraising. If he's NOT the coach, why would he stay? He would have been passed over for the job twice. And, realistically, what outside coach would agree with him being the number one assistant as a condition of hire? I don't think many would, even some young buck itching for that first D-1 break. To me, that would create the same dynamic that apparently existed between him and Bacari. Obviously, we'll see what happens. Final thoughts. I wonder if PW has been consulted on the new coach. I imagine he'd go to bat for one of his guys. I do think President G and Vowels want a competitive program. I cannot imagine there hasn't been conversation associated with what Loyola did in the tournament and its PR, fundraising and student recruitment value that a tournament run like LU had can have on the university. I think for that reason alone, there's reason to believe that the administration wants its signature sports program to be successful.

I think your theory might end up being the correct one.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
TitanKev83 wrote:I agree with bctitans 1987 that Jermaine ultimately will be the head coach. Here's my theory. He could not be "handed the job" without a search process etc. The justification ends up being: 1/ he's the best fit--young and hungry with high school head coaching and college level assistant experience 2/ the continuity for keeping what's left of the team intact as well as recruiting. 3/He will not be paid Bacari level money--thus saving the university some money while still trying to keep the program competitive. 4/There's also the fact that team was 4-3 while he filled in for Bacari. I am not connected enough to know of the infighting amongst Bacari's staff and whether JJ was an instigator or not, nor his role--real or rumored-- in SMD. That said, I am willing to give him a chance.

The team played well for him, he's had a hand in the recruitment of much of the roster and he brings NBA contacts (Kevin Durant and Willie to name two) that could help with future recruiting and more importantly, fundraising. If he's NOT the coach, why would he stay? He would have been passed over for the job twice. And, realistically, what outside coach would agree with him being the number one assistant as a condition of hire? I don't think many would, even some young buck itching for that first D-1 break. To me, that would create the same dynamic that apparently existed between him and Bacari. Obviously, we'll see what happens. Final thoughts. I wonder if PW has been consulted on the new coach. I imagine he'd go to bat for one of his guys. I do think President G and Vowels want a competitive program. I cannot imagine there hasn't been conversation associated with what Loyola did in the tournament and its PR, fundraising and student recruitment value that a tournament run like LU had can have on the university. I think for that reason alone, there's reason to believe that the administration wants its signature sports program to be successful.

I think your theory might end up being the correct one.

I would find this scenario to be extremely disturbing.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Mon May 14, 2018 6:08 pm

If you took a step back and looked at the past two years as a non-Titan fan what would your reaction be? Pretend it was Western, Eastern, Butler, Loyola or Marquette, which includes public and private schools. A school that claims to be putting D-! Athletics in the forefront and produces those kinds of results along with the inability to run a proper process would be looked on as a total mess and treated as such. It would be a laughing stock and not taken seriously by the press, the fans, and potential recruits. Can you imagine a star athlete thinking about coming to the school and having competing coaches trash the school? How easy would it be to get new recruits for the foreseeable future? This is the state of our school. What are the alternatives? Keep attending games? Keep donating? For some, this is not a problem, but for most it is. For better or worse, one of the board's jobs is to continue to raise the school's public perception and for many schools, that is done with sports. If any other school was doing what U-D is doing, I would wonder if it was a purposeful sabotage to drop sports. In my opinion, the board needs to answer publicly as to what is going on and what will be done about it, all the way up to removing the AD and others who are involved with the disgraceful hiring process.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 pm

And, by the way, it looks like my prediction of any time after 5-21 is going to be correct.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Mon May 14, 2018 8:05 pm

77-85Titan wrote:If you took a step back and looked at the past two years as a non-Titan fan what would your reaction be? Pretend it was Western, Eastern, Butler, Loyola or Marquette, which includes public and private schools. A school that claims to be putting D-! Athletics in the forefront and produces those kinds of results along with the inability to run a proper process would be looked on as a total mess and treated as such. It would be a laughing stock and not taken seriously by the press, the fans, and potential recruits. Can you imagine a star athlete thinking about coming to the school and having competing coaches trash the school? How easy would it be to get new recruits for the foreseeable future? This is the state of our school. What are the alternatives? Keep attending games? Keep donating? For some, this is not a problem, but for most it is. For better or worse, one of the board's jobs is to continue to raise the school's public perception and for many schools, that is done with sports. If any other school was doing what U-D is doing, I would wonder if it was a purposeful sabotage to drop sports. In my opinion, the board needs to answer publicly as to what is going on and what will be done about it, all the way up to removing the AD and others who are involved with the disgraceful hiring process.

Spot on. This is why we all should irate. Where is our local press? Why doesn't anyone besides this board care? The pitch forks and fires would be banging on any other school.

My theory: this will go on. JJ will get ultimately get gig due to timeline issues as the reason given. Vowels will ask for our forgiveness he will say that he tried and that ultimately in order for us to move forward JJ will be coach. We will be horrible next year. Board of trustees will fire Garibaldi and Vowels at the end of the season after a severe donation and attendance drought.

By the way, until there is any further communication by the AD let's all just keep spreading rumors...at least it gets us a lil publicity.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:05 pm

The always reliable Coaching Changes site Tweets: “Detroit situation heating up.” I’m getting excited!
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball