Tony Barbee-Kentucky Assistant

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Tony Barbee-Kentucky Assistant

Postby titanmike » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:13 pm

someone else to look at that I am hearing might be under consideration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Barbee
titanmike
Senior

Re: Tony Barbee-Kentucky Assistant

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:58 pm

titanmike wrote:someone else to look at that I am hearing might be under consideration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Barbee

Interesting name - thanks for the info.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting this, Mike. Not sure how I'd feel about this without more digging. Doesn't seem like someone that would be too tough to get and warrant such a late hire.

...from Wiki
Despite showing promise at the end of his first season, Barbee never had a winning season at Auburn. His best record came in the 2011–12 season when Auburn finished 15–16. Auburn then lost 16 of 17 SEC games during a stretch of the 2012–13 season under Barbee, and had yet another losing season in 2013–14.

The Barbee era at Auburn was fraught with off the court issues. Following the 2011–12 season, Auburn point guard Varez Ward was arrested on charges of point shaving.[11] This case was later dismissed when Ward went into a pre-trial diversion program and with full cooperation with the FBI, neither Auburn nor Ward were found guilty of any wrongdoing.[12] Of the 21 players that Barbee signed while at Auburn, only 9 remained on his roster in his 4th season due to player dismissals and transfers.[13]

Barbee was fired on March 12, 2014, minutes after losing in the first round of the SEC Tournament to South Carolina 74–56.[14] He finished with a cumulative record of 49–75 (.395), the lowest winning percentage of any Auburn head coach with more than a two-season tenure.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Another uninspiring candidate, in my opinion.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Seriously. I'm going to tell my son to aspire to be the AD at Dtrt Mrc. Not matter how much you screw up, you can't be fired!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 am

Barbee is supposed to be a very good X's and O's coach.

This would be very much like Cleveland St.'s hire of Felton. Barbee turned around UTEP, but failed big time in the SEC. Felton had turned around Western KY, but then failed big time in the SEC at GA - fired mid-season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am

We have a saying in my business (Human Resources Assessment and Executive Search)...When your hopes and dreams turn to desperation (to make someone fit), it’s time to cut bait and move on. Not to say that he could not work out for us, Barbee is too much of a risk for my comfort level.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 am

ptctitan wrote:Barbee is supposed to be a very good X's and O's coach.

This would be very much like Cleveland St.'s hire of Felton. Barbee turned around UTEP, but failed big time in the SEC. Felton had turned around Western KY, but then failed big time in the SEC at GA - fired mid-season.

I think we have had a few good X's and O's coaches thru here in the last 10 years. I felt Jay Smith was good at teaching and running a game. I felt he did a nice job with a lot of our bigs but Ray wanted to control the games. I watched BA usually consult with the his coaches before he addressed the team. I think Mickey Barrett and JJ understand the game. I think hiring a committee to help hire the coach is a cop out. We either have an AD or we don't. If he can not do his job or needs outside help then he is the wrong guy for the chair or is trying to CHA. Does anyone know who the people are that make up this committee? Are they even basketball people? Do they take time to attend games? Are they some of the other coaches who have been on the U of D staff and have had success? I am wondering what Garibaldi and Vowels know about coaching or for that mater the U of D itself.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:44 am

Titan Jim wrote:We have a saying in my business (Human Resources Assessment and Executive Search)...When your hopes and dreams turn to desperation (to make someone fit), it’s time to cut bait and move on. Not to say that he could not work out for us, Barbee is too much of a risk for my comfort level.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:10 am

UP, you've been on fire lately. You just asked all the right questions. I'll answer your last one: Nothing at all.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 am

If we hire an assistant, it better come from a top notch defensive system. Kentucky is not a standout defensive program.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Titan Jim wrote:We have a saying in my business (Human Resources Assessment and Executive Search)...When your hopes and dreams turn to desperation (to make someone fit), it’s time to cut bait and move on. Not to say that he could not work out for us, Barbee is too much of a risk for my comfort level.

Of course, hiring decisions must also consider who has actually applied for the job.

Barbee's W-L record at Auburn was 49-75 .395.

Before his hire at UD, Ray McCallum's W-L record at Houston was 44-73 .376.

Ernie Zeigler's W-L record at Central Michigan was 75-111 .403.

The difference between Barbee and Zeigler is that Barbee won at UTEP where he was 85-62 .612. Zeigler did not win in his first try as a D-1 head coach.

Bronkema, who was also mentioned by Titanmike as possibly being under consideration, has a good D-II record. But that does not necessarily translate into immediate success in D-1. The Youngstown State coach came from Fairmont State, another D-II powerhouse program. He coached the Penguins to 8-24 this past season. It took Scott Nagy 4 years to turn a strong D-II So Dak State program into a winning D-1 program. NKU replaced their D-II coach with John Brannen, an assistant from Alabama after the D-II coach could not turn the program into a D-1 winner in 4 years, the first 3 years in the Atlantic Sun and his 4th year in the HL.

Most likely, there is no low risk or risk-free candidate who seeks the Titan's HC position. Barbee can be judged only in relation to the others who are under consideration. He has pluses and minuses. They all do.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:50 pm

I can’t imagine why a committee was formed to help hire the coach? The only reason I can imagine why this committee was created is because there are some legal issues ongoing regarding personnel. I am guessing that Vowels, JJSr or Chatman Sr (or some and possibly all) are threatening or already started legal proceedings against the school.

Vowels isn’t acting and doing his job, that is clear.

JJSr is not doing any recruiting and not fulfilling any Head Coach duties, even though he is the Interim Head Coach.

Chatman is doing the same thing he did all last year...nothing.

The Board knows that they need to hire a coach, yet they can’t follow the standard practices due to legal matters.

This is just a guess on my part, but so much going on (or not going on) in the Athletic Department and Basketball Program tends to make everyone wonder what is going on and the inactions and lack of communication leads me to think legal matters are driving the bus.
Titans96
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Seriously. I'm going to tell my son to aspire to be the AD at Dtrt Mrc. Not matter how much you screw up, you can't be fired!

Short anser: Ask Keri.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Titans96 wrote:I can’t imagine why a committee was formed to help hire the coach? The only reason I can imagine why this committee was created is because there are some legal issues ongoing regarding personnel. I am guessing that Vowels, JJSr or Chatman Sr (or some and possibly all) are threatening or already started legal proceedings against the school.

JJSr is not doing any recruiting and not fulfilling any Head Coach duties, even though he is the Interim Head Coach.

The Board knows that they need to hire a coach, yet they can’t follow the standard practices due to legal matters.

This is just a guess on my part, but so much going on (or not going on) in the Athletic Department and Basketball Program tends to make everyone wonder what is going on and the inactions and lack of communication leads me to think legal matters are driving the bus.

A committee approach was also used when BA was selected.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:05 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:I think hiring a committee to help hire the coach is a cop out.

Which is it? Vowels can't be trusted to hire a new coach? Or Vowels is a schmo because he gets assistance in hiring a new coach? He's a total know-nothing without the judgment to hire a new coach? Or how dare he get input from others on who to hire?

You can't have it both ways.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:08 pm

ptctitan wrote:

Of course, hiring decisions must also consider who has actually applied for the job.

Exactly! It is futile to argue the merits of one candidate over another. We do not even know whom the actual candidates are.

My point is that the UDM job can easily be marketed as a very attractive position to the proper candidate. Under-performing programs are much more attractive to potential candidates, than well-tuned programs. We do not need to settle for "C" candidates. Win games, fill the seats and UDM could move up to a much better conference. For example, there is a big whole over Michigan in the Big East Conference map and we are a Catholic school. If UDM does not want to commit the resources to make a move up in conferences in the future, the coach can show how he turned UDM around, if/when he decides that he has outgrown UDM.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Titans96 wrote:I can’t imagine why a committee was formed to help hire the coach? The only reason I can imagine why this committee was created is because there are some legal issues ongoing regarding personnel. I am guessing that Vowels, JJSr or Chatman Sr (or some and possibly all) are threatening or already started legal proceedings against the school.

I am pretty sure that all of the assistant coaches are on one year contracts that will expire on July 1st. I don't know what grounds Chatman and Jackson would sue on, failure to allow there sons to play basketball at UofD in the future? I never liked the side deal BA cut with Canaan Chatman and I'm glad it's over with.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:

I am pretty sure that all of the assistant coaches are on one year contracts that will expire on July 1st. I don't know what grounds Chatman and Jackson would sue on, failure to allow there sons to play basketball at UofD in the future? I never liked the side deal BA cut with Canaan Chatman and I'm glad it's over with.

The stakes are higher this time around. They probably want to disperse the responsibility if it does not work out this time. But again, that is just a guess. Personally, I have never liked committee hiring.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:41 pm

If it wouldn't be so unprecedented (and detrimental to the few scholarship players we still have), I'd say not field a MBB team in 2018-2019. That's how pathetic this situation has become.
Tacitus651
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball