Bronkema

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Bronkema

Postby titanmike » Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 am

Heard he is supposed to be on campus today, no hire imminent.
titanmike
Senior

Re: Bronkema

Postby ptctitan » Thu May 03, 2018 10:05 am

Will you be there to help keep his beard dry? ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am

ptctitan wrote:Will you be there to help keep his beard dry? ;)

He actually shaved the beard

Andy Bronkema's signature beard is GONE after #D2MBB Champion @FerrisAthletics fundraised over $10,000 for muscular dystrophy

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/987701335750598657
HSScout1
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 am

Welcome to the D Bronk!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 am

HSScout1 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Will you be there to help keep his beard dry? ;)

He actually shaved the beard

Andy Bronkema's signature beard is GONE after #D2MBB Champion @FerrisAthletics fundraised over $10,000 for muscular dystrophy

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/987701335750598657

Ha! Then, I don't want him! ;) :D

He'll grow it back like Matt Patricia.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Thu May 03, 2018 10:31 am

titanmike wrote: no hire imminent.

Pretty much sums up the last 40 days...
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am

Bronkema would be exciting!
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu May 03, 2018 11:50 am

Titan Jim wrote:Bronkema would be exciting!

Maybe for you but not me. I'm not in on Bronkema. I think we need a guy who can be head coach and AD. If Bronkema gets the job I will support him but I do not think he is the solution for Liv. & 6. If he is the best that Vowels can get and it took 4 weeks longer than it should have to get this guy, then it is worse than I originally thought.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 am

I read an article about Bronkema that stated he got the head coaching gig at Ferris State after two others turned it down. I wonder if lightning is about to strike twice for Bronkema? The only knocks I have against Bronkema is that he had zero experience at the D1 level and his age. I would prefer a coach who is at least 45 but not older than 60.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 am

I agree with UP. It starts at the top and there needs to be a system in place. As long as AD Vowels is around, we won’t have that.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:

I think we need a guy who can be head coach and AD.

That is not very realistic. It is not likely to happen, especially at this time.

Also, let's be clear. I am not 100% sold on Bronkema. I think that it will be a real adjustment for him. There are no guarantees. However, compared to some of he other candidates mentioned on this board, I am more willing to give him a shot.

Finally, we really don't know whom the real candidates are. As I recall, Ray McCallum was not on anyone's radar. Everyone here seemed to think that Brad Soderberg was going to be our coach.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Titan Jim wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

That is not very realistic. It is not likely to happen, especially at this time.

Also, let's be clear. I am not 100% sold on Bronkema. I think that it will be a real adjustment for him. There are no guarantees. However, compared to some of he other candidates mentioned on this board, I would be more willing to give him a shot.

Hiring the right candidate should involve interviews, reference checks and watching game videos.

Finally, we really don't know whom the real candidates are. As I recall, Ray McCallum was not on anyone's radar. Everyone here seemed to think that Brad Soderberg was going to be our coach.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Titan Jim wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Also, let's be clear. I am not 100% sold on Bronkema. I think that it will be a real adjustment for him. There are no guarantees. However, compared to some of he other candidates mentioned on this board, I am more willing to give him a shot.

Bronk wouldn't be my first choice, but I believe he could get us to at least .500. If I am remembering correctly the job was offered to Brad Soderberg first and Barry Hinson second. They both turned us down. Ray McCallum was our third choice, and if Coreante Deberry (Cincinnati ) and Lorenzo Bonam (Utah) could've gotten admitted to UofD we arent looking for a coach in April if 2016. I think Alexander's decision to make a package deal with the Chatmans was one of the first major mistakes of his coaching tenure. It felt dirty and it wrecked team chemistry, I don't think Kam was talented enough to get his dad a D1 coaching gig. Alexander tried to be slick and it backfired.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Thu May 03, 2018 2:02 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:

Maybe for you but not me. I'm not in on Bronkema. I think we need a guy who can be head coach and AD. If Bronkema gets the job I will support him but I do not think he is the solution for Liv. & 6. If he is the best that Vowels can get and it took 4 weeks longer than it should have to get this guy, then it is worse than I originally thought.

A head coach AND AD?????? :roll:

I'm guessing you want us to drop down to DII, or lower.

Both jobs currently have more than enough problems at UofD.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 pm

R.B.J1 wrote: Bronk wouldn't be my first choice, but I believe he could get us to at least .500. If I am remembering correctly the job was offered to Brad Soderberg first and Barry Hinson second. They both turned us down. Ray McCallum was our third choice, and if Coreante Deberry (Cincinnati ) and Lorenzo Bonam (Utah) could've gotten admitted to UofD we arent looking for a coach in April if 2016. I think Alexander's decision to make a package deal with the Chatmans was one of the first major mistakes of his coaching tenure. It felt dirty and it wrecked team chemistry, I don't think Kam was talented enough to get his dad a D1 coaching gig. Alexander tried to be slick and it backfired.

Ray had more than enough talent on his teams his last three years to finish 7th, 6th, and 6th in the Horizon.

Also, Vowels screwed up the whole BA thing by forcing him to keep JJ on staff. The day my boss doesn't let me pick my staff, is the day I make him/her fire me. The fact that JJ is not considered as coach tells me that Vowels finally learned from his mistake (but too late).
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 03, 2018 2:35 pm

MotownTitan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Vowels screwed up the whole BA thing by forcing him to keep JJ on staff.

I have heard this cited here many times over the past couple years. Do we really know that it is true?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:02 pm

You gotta be careful what you read on internet message boards.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:You gotta be careful what you read on internet message boards.

Point well taken.

Can anyone corroborate that not everything posted on internet message boards is true? :D
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:22 pm

Titan Jim wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:You gotta be careful what you read on internet message boards.

Point well taken.

Can anyone corroborate that not everything posted on internet message boards is true? :D

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:”The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

That makes sense. Must be why Abraham Lincoln went on to co-found snopes.com.
Titan Jim
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball