Bronkema

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What do we really know?

Postby Titan Jim » Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 pm

I am seeing conflicting information regarding Bronkema and where the search stands at this point. Some are saying that Bronkema will be announced on Monday, others are claiming that UDM wanted him, but blew it. What is going on? Is there a press conference scheduled for Monday? Does anyone here have any concrete information, even if they cannot share the whole story?
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Titans03 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 pm

I would also like to know.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat May 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:At the major corporation I work for background checks are almost the final step in the process. Among other things, you need permission from the prospect before you can do the due diligence.

Without going into too much detail, there are is a legal rationale for keeping the background investigation separate from selection process (and for waiting to run a criminal check). You can (and should) do reference checks in advance of selection decision, but there are liability risks if you run a criminal check on someone at an earlier stage and they don’t get selected. There is a need to have different persons responsible for the hiring decision and suitabity determination. There are also privacy considerations involved (e.g., you wouldn’t want to have say ten people on a selection committee given access to sensitive information that might not have direct relationship to bonafide selection factors). I worked in HR field for 30+ years and familiar with the standard protocol.[/quote]

It's quite obvious that Vowels is not following standard protocol. If you are talking about Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which is subject to interpretation, I do understand you need consent, but that should be on the standard employment app.. I think Title VII states that it is a violation to make a decision solely on an applicant's arrest record. First of all if you did find something offensive why would you tell the applicant about it.
The info you collect is strictly between you and your investigative source. I guess I never hired or fired by committee. I always felt the the ability to make the right decision was a talent.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Titans03 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Bronkema is back to liking and retweeting things about Ferris State on his twitter account. This is officially a clown show. Might as well have just kept BA to be honest.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby TitanONeill » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 am

When you said clown show...I thought of how Drew and Mike used to play this : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzLHU6S4oic honestly...this is a clown show.
TitanONeill
Senior
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

Re: Bronkema

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 am

Bronkema retweeted a positive graphic about Ferris State football on the 11th. I'd hardly call that a signal or indication that he's *not* leaving the school. His latest tweet before that is from the 4th. If he wanted to send a clear signal that he's not leaving, he could have easily done so.

I think he would be a good hire. I hope that Coaching Changes just got bad information about the deal falling through. Anything short of a press conference by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest is a complete embarrassment to the program and the university. I'm not sure if this program could survive a pick that we clearly settled for (Zeigler comes to mind). Especially given the late start and inability to sign good recruits.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Titans03 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:04 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Bronkema retweeted a positive graphic about Ferris State football on the 11th. I'd hardly call that a signal or indication that he's *not* leaving the school. His latest tweet before that is from the 4th. If he wanted to send a clear signal that he's not leaving, he could have easily done so.

I think he would be a good hire. I hope that Coaching Changes just got bad information about the deal falling through. Anything short of a press conference by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest is a complete embarrassment to the program and the university. I'm not sure if this program could survive a pick that we clearly settled for (Zeigler comes to mind). Especially given the late start and inability to sign good recruits.

He also liked a tweet about one of his recruits signing day at his high school. It's over.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:If the job was offered and Bronkema didn't take it he made a huge career mistake. Maybe living in the Merto Area is to unlike McBain. He could have hired his brother out of Grand Rapids CC, probably tripled his and his brothers income at dear old Nepotisim U. My guess is Bronk wasn't offered.


I dont think Bronk was offered the job either, as was discussed on the other board, if Bronk had accepted the UofD job he would've quadrupled his salary. If he was able to get us to .500 within 3 years he would've set himself up nicely for a low level Big 10 or Big 12 job. I think he could've achieved that with his recruiting connections in the Detroit area. I think the complete lack of D1 experience as a coach and or player eliminated Bronkema from consideration. I guess he does have some D1 experience he gave us a good spanking in 2016.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Not that you should believe a random poster on the internet, but I can tell you Bronkema was offered the job, accepted it, and then turned it down a day or two later. That happened.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:25 pm

The reasoning behind the “fall out”, no clue. Your guess is as good as mine.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Titans03 wrote:The reasoning behind the “fall out”, no clue. Your guess is as good as mine.

Heard some things suggesting not really a falling out between parties or botched negotiation by UDM, more a case that Bronkema got cold feet at the last minute after hearing some things and sorting through variables. Don’t think the offer was for quadruple his current salary, but he would have got a nice bump. He probably became convinced that if he waits a year or two and continues success at Ferris, a better opportunity in a more stable situation will come along.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Ya that sounds about right. Personally I think that’s a bad decision. He had his opportunity to get his foot in the door in D1, and he passed. That opportunity may never come again.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Mon May 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Titans03 wrote:The reasoning behind the “fall out”, no clue. Your guess is as good as mine.

Heard some things suggesting not really a falling out between parties or botched negotiation by UDM, more a case that Bronkema got cold feet at the last minute after hearing some things and sorting through variables. Don’t think the offer was for quadruple his current salary, but he would have got a nice bump. He probably became convinced that if he waits a year or two and continues success at Ferris, a better opportunity in a more stable situation will come along.


The fact that this board is one of the top 5 searches for our school and there are 5 Fire Vowels threads probably did not help and the fact that people on here constantly bash the program and predict a move down to D-2, it would be ironic if we are the reason he was not hired.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am

Re: Bronkema

Postby TitanONeill » Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm

With all do respect, it also doesn't help that we have a communication barrier. I realize that the AD owes us nothing in reality, but being their main source of income is donors and alumni, to keep us in the dark is their own fault. Darkness is where rumors and negativity resides. They could've mitigated all the drama just by simply sending out an occasional tweet and not treating us like we are not worthy of knowing anything. Having said that I realize there are HR sensitivities, but again all we wanted was some confidence that a search was going on. Now we have all concocted our own theories as to what happened with bronk, why this is taking so long, etc.
TitanONeill
Senior
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

Re: Bronkema

Postby NC Titan » Mon May 21, 2018 7:10 pm

TitanONeill wrote:With all do respect, it also doesn't help that we have a communication barrier. I realize that the AD owes us nothing in reality, but being their main source of income is donors and alumni, to keep us in the dark is their own fault. Darkness is where rumors and negativity resides. They could've mitigated all the drama just by simply sending out an occasional tweet and not treating us like we are not worthy of knowing anything. Having said that I realize there are HR sensitivities, but again all we wanted was some confidence that a search was going on. Now we have all concocted our own theories as to what happened with bronk, why this is taking so long, etc.


I don't care about candidate who is not going to be our coach. If Davis is the new coach, then I don't care if I never read another word about Bronkema.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Bronkema

Postby The-Dude » Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 pm

FWIW, Bronk was offered and both parties had a verbal agreement. The agreement included an out after year 2. When the actual contract was presented, the out did not include a payout. Total aneature move, IMO.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Bronkema

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm

The-Dude wrote:FWIW, Bronk was offered and both parties had a verbal agreement. The agreement included an out after year 2. When the actual contract was presented, the out did not include a payout. Total aneature move, IMO.


https://youtu.be/cyLdtG7KZvw
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests