Bronkema, Part II

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Bronkema, Part II

Postby Titan Jim » Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 pm

From Coaching Changes...

Welp! Detroit Mercy thought they had their guy Andy Bronkema.......rumor has it that he turned it down (I was suprised he was considering it) Vowels has to be looking like this...... he can't miss anymore....... got to talk to people he knows will take the job. SMH #circus

If true, this is really disappointing. :-(
Last edited by Titan Jim on Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Fri May 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Lets just hire Pitino and get it over with, no matter what Vowels does people are going to be unhappy, but maybe if he makes a big enough splash with Pitino and fills Calihan he keeps his job. Then it will truly be a circus, maybe a fun one!
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I was actually excited about Bronkema. I guess I should have known better. We have a complete imbecile for an AD.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I would love to know the reasons Bronk gave for turning the job down. He probably makes around $85,000 as the head coach at Ferris, I am sure Vowels was going to at least double that amount. Did Vowels attempt to force JJsr on Bronk? I think Vowels wants to coach the team himself.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby NC Titan » Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I would love to know the reasons Bronk gave for turning the job down. He probably makes around $85,000 as the head coach at Ferris, I am sure Vowels was going to at least double that amount. Did Vowels attempt to force JJsr on Bronk? I think Vowels wants to coach the team himself.


JJ Sr is not part of the package for any new coach.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:36 pm

NC Titan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:I would love to know the reasons Bronk gave for turning the job down. He probably makes around $85,000 as the head coach at Ferris, I am sure Vowels was going to at least double that amount. Did Vowels attempt to force JJsr on Bronk? I think Vowels wants to coach the team himself.


JJ Sr is not part of the package for any new coach.


Thats great.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Steve Bell Tweeted this morning: “U-D played itself of a good coach and good man. Sad, sad, sad. Leave the 1980s politics out. So much for the new Detroit.”

Not sure I get the total gist of the message, but it sounds like Bronkema is not coming and the matter may have been poorly handled by the University.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby udballer » Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 pm

If this is actually true, it's inexcusable. WTF is going on down at 6 & Livernois?
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Titans03 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 pm

I believe Steve Bell is using Coaching Changes as his source. Because he tweeted out about “an in-state guy becoming UD’s next head coach” a few days ago only after Coaching Changes said so.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Titans03 wrote:I believe Steve Bell is using Coaching Changes as his source. Because he tweeted out about “an in-state guy becoming UD’s next head coach” a few days ago only after Coaching Changes said so.

But what exactly are “1980s politics” and what was meant by “so much for the new Detroit” and how does all that relate with the decision making process in filling the coaching position?
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Titans03 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Good question. Whoever said late last night that Bronkema will be introduced Monday, is this just a rumor, or can you confirm it to be true?
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Titans03 wrote:Good question. Whoever said late last night that Bronkema will be introduced Monday, is this just a rumor, or can you confirm it to be true?

One would think that if Bronkema was a signed/sealed done-deal with a press conference in the works for Monday, there would be no need for the University to hold back releasing news on that development. That is why I tend to give more creditably to recent reports that things fell horribly apart at the last minute and Bronk is not leaving Ferris. I imagine the Titan think-tank is currently scrambling to figure out what to do next.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby The-Dude » Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 pm

There is/was a conference call planned for Monday, this was a confirmed. If something fell apart last minute, then it would have to be some crazy contractual loophole.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby The-Dude » Sat May 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Could it also be Vowels insisting that JJ remain on staff...
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Titan Jim » Sat May 12, 2018 3:20 pm

The-Dude wrote:There is/was a conference call planned for Monday, this was a confirmed.


Conference call to finalize a deal and/or a telephone press conference to make an announcement? Confirmed by whom?
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Titan Jim » Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm

If there is a breakdown, I wonder if it can be fixed.

Over the years, I have had to fix many job placements that went bad at the last minute. The most frequent breakdown was the spouse and/or family not wanting to relocate. No one would speak up until after the deal was supposedly done.

With that said, Steve Bell seems to imply that he has inside information that UDM made a strategic error in how they handled the process. Maybe, the school overestimated the value of their hand? That could still be fixable, unless someone at UDM took a cheap shot in the process.
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Steve Bell Tweeted this morning: “U-D played itself of a good coach and good man. Sad, sad, sad. Leave the 1980s politics out. So much for the new Detroit.”

Not sure I get the total gist of the message, but it sounds like Bronkema is not coming and the matter may have been poorly handled by the University.


Not sure what Bell is trying to say, most of the people from Detroit politics of the 1980's are in their graves...except UofD alumn L.Brooks Patterson. Detroit has a Caucasian mayor for the first time in 40 years it's a very different city. Vowels and Giribaldi are not native Detroiters and I don't see either of them being the kind of people that would play that game. I think something happened during the salary negotiation, my best guess is that Vowels low balled Bronkema with an insulting salary offer and Bronkema told him to take a hike.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Titans96 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Think “Cronyism”.

The City of Detroit is advancing, yet UDM with Vowels is acting like we are back in the Coleman Young era. There isn't a quality coaching prospect in the country that is going to let Vowels tell him/her how to coach and who to hire.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby cedar1973 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 pm

The way I see it is that Vowels has only one choice and that is to make JJ Sr. as coach because no coach is going to keep JJ Sr.
If they do this UD will fall faster and hit bottom harder. It is time to get rid of Vowels and hire and AD or Coach/AD.
cedar1973
Senior
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Bronkema, Part II

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun May 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Politics? You darn right it’s politics. Do you guys understand the school is undergoing a tuition restructure? The tuition starting next semester is dropping from 42k to 26k. IMO, this is playing a factor in a lot of the decision making up there. I mean really, its not that often you see such a strategy.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests