Oh great, first it’s BA now it’s D-II

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Oh great, first it’s BA now it’s D-II

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat May 12, 2018 9:41 am

SMH, why was RayMac fired again?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Re: Oh great, first it’s BA now it’s D-II

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 am

What does this even mean? Ray was fired because he did not have a good winning percentage as coach and could not beat our rivals, same reason BA was fired and I would hope any coach that doesn't do his job. What the heck does now its D-II mean? Are you referencing the old Eminem rapper group? I don't think he is being considered bro!
Last edited by DetroitBASKETBALL on Sat May 12, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 am

His last three years= 7th, 6th, 6th place finishes

and his final 6th place team included:

Brundridge, Wilson, Jenkins, Grant, Williams, Bass, and Hogan

He was a sub .500 coach at U of D
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 am

There were as many reasons to fire Ray as there to fire BA. Some of them should never be posted on this board because they were done behind the scenes are were not pretty. For the 1,000 time: returning to .500 is just a step in the right direction. If our goal is not to be another Loyola (a team we routinely dismantled, even in our down years) and make the Final Four, then there is no point to this exercise. We need the right coach at the right time. Let's just pray Vowels has him in place this weekend.

And for the 2,000 time, we are NOT going D II. That is just a stupid analysis/prognosis being made by (understandably) frustrated but uninformed posters. There is no credence to this possibility and no reason to continue to write about it. It ain't happenin' in the near future, I can tell you that.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:32 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:There were as many reasons to fire Ray as there to fire BA. Some of them should never be posted on this board because they were done behind the scenes are were not pretty. For the 1,000 time: returning to .500 is just a step in the right direction. If our goal is not to be another Loyola (a team we routinely dismantled, even in our down years) and make the Final Four, then there is no point to this exercise. We need the right coach at the right time. Let's just pray Vowels has him in place this weekend.

And for the 2,000 time, we are NOT going D II. That is just a stupid analysis/prognosis being made by (understandably) frustrated but uninformed posters. There is no credence to this possibility and no reason to continue to write about it. It ain't happenin' in the near future, I can tell you that.

I interpreted the stated topic as a complaint that we might hire a coach from the D-2 ranks, not that we’re going D-2. Not a lot of context to go on. I know there are pros/cons of hiring someone from a D-2 school, just as there are with selecting a D-1 assistant who has only limited-scope experience running a whole program.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat May 12, 2018 11:43 am

Tom, your strong retort reminds me of the quote, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Hamlet ---- along with some political assurances I have seen in the news. Remember Charles Dickens once wrote "never say never".
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Sat May 12, 2018 12:11 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Tom, your strong retort reminds me of the quote, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Hamlet ---- along with some political assurances I have seen in the news. Remember Charles Dickens once wrote "never say never".

Its the chicken or the egg, people don't want to support the program because it is not doing well, maybe its not doing well because there is not enough support. No plans to go D-2 but people keep bringing it up and bringing it up and bringing it up and school struggles to get support because of garbage rumors like that and we end up fulfilling our own garbage prophecy. Hopefully Robert hires someone that brings the program up and we have success
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat May 12, 2018 4:14 pm

MotownTitan wrote:His last three years= 7th, 6th, 6th place finishes

and his final 6th place team included:

Brundridge, Wilson, Jenkins, Grant, Williams, Bass, and Hogan

He was a sub .500 coach at U of D

Let me get this straight, you're telling me you anticipate D-II being the savior of the program?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Please just stop.
Titans03
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Some people here are their own worst enemies. Hoopster - you are reacting to a tweet from someone who claimed that the word on the street (WOTS) said Bronkema, a tweet from the same source that claimed that Andre LaFleur was on campus only to have LaFleur post a photo of himself working at UNLV, and a Twitter account that claimed erroneously that Patrick Beilein was a shoo-in for the Siena job and that the search was just a cover for the baked-in hire of Beilein. And then someone on this board who claimed that a press conference was set for Monday only to say that it might be a conference call. There's a huge difference between the two as it pertains to official announcements.

If a D-II head coach is announced officially, then have at it. Until then, remember the sources and their possible agendas.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat May 12, 2018 7:15 pm

IMO, this hire would exhibit having a D-II mentality. We need to think more progressive than that. RayMac for all the presumed deficiencies, certainly provided us with a national and entertaining product.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball