Mike Davis

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Mike Davis

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:54 am

From Tony Paul 5 min ago:

As of Tuesday, Mike Davis was telling peers that he had *not* yet accepted the Detroit Mercy job. Within the last couple days, Detroit Mercy has talked to interim coach Jermaine Jackson Sr., even discussing assistant-coach names.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:09 am

Commissioner wrote:It's a double secret probation hiring!

Over?! Was it over when we hired Rick Pitino? Its not over until we decide it is.
ptctitan wrote:Vowels did not deny that Davis told his AD that he was leaving to take our job. He said that there is no agreement yet for a new coach. That means no signed contract. It would be foolish to announce Davis as the new coach before he signs the contract.

Commissioner - there may be good reasons for both parties not to place Davis on our payroll before the new fiscal year. That does not preclude us from announcing his hire once the contract is signed.

Davis could certainly sign a contract effective July 1, and we could announce the signing now.
Tacitus651 wrote:From Tony Paul 5 min ago:

As of Tuesday, Mike Davis was telling peers that he had *not* yet accepted the Detroit Mercy job. Within the last couple days, Detroit Mercy has talked to interim coach Jermaine Jackson Sr., even discussing assistant-coach names.

If JJ comes back there will be some that will rejoice because they remember JJ's glory days. Then there will be more who will hate it because they will remember the more recent past and this whole process. On a positive note, JJ would be an improvement from BA.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am

The ONE thing I am sure of is that this coming season we will have a head coach with a son on the roster.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:38 am

I’m not buying if. Why would Davis leave TxSU to not accept our job?
Titans03
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:55 am

This was not TSU's announcement to make, everyone chill out, we will know soon enough who the coach is, if not a good candidate, then lets all meet up at next Board of Trustees Meeting.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:04 pm

ptctitan wrote:
Titans03 wrote:I still don’t get the July thing...? But this could be why Bowels denied the Davis reports so hard. He has to wait until July to announce it. But why?

The university's new fiscal year starts July 1 or 2.

Vowels did not deny that Davis told his AD that he was leaving to take our job. He said that there is no agreement yet for a new coach. That means no signed contract. It would be foolish to announce Davis as the new coach before he signs the contract.

Commissioner - there may be good reasons for both parties not to place Davis on our payroll before the new fiscal year. That does not preclude us from announcing his hire once the contract is signed.

If it is signed, then it is official before July, and there would be no reason not to announce it: "Effective July 1, Mike Davis will take over as head coach of the Detroit Titans."

I can think of no reason whatsoever not to make the announcement if he's signed, and I can think of no reason whatsoever why it should take until July to get a signed deal.

Further, it seems to me it would be worth it for the Titans to pay Davis his salary for the last 3 weeks of June just so he can get started in good faith in hiring, scheduling, recruiting, etc. That's probably no more than $35K tops, probably under $30K.
Last edited by Commissioner on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 pm

DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:This was not TSU's announcement to make, everyone chill out, we will know soon enough who the coach is, if not a good candidate, then lets all meet up at next Board of Trustees Meeting.

+1

Seriously guys - the board is becoming unreadable. Anytime someone looks or breathes the wrong way, paranoia sets it. You have been told by posters who are "in the know" that the hiring will take place and there will be some delay prior to it happening. I understand the frustration - I'm ready move on - but I'll at least let the process play itself out. As in life, some questions are going to remain unanswered and you will never know why, so stop asking. In the meantime, enjoy summer, go for a walk, play with the kids, catch a movie, or just get some work done because spending all day on a message board can't help work productivity. If all else fails, get some meds and relax....
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Commissioner wrote:
If it is signed, then it is official before July, and there would be no reason not to announce it: "Effective July 1, Mike Davis will take over as head coach of the Detroit Titans."

I can think of no reason whatsoever not to make the announcement if he's signed, and I can think of no reason whatsoever why it should take until July to get a signed deal.

Further, it seems to me it would be worth it for the Titans to pay Davis his salary for the last 3 weeks of June just so he can get started in good faith in hiring, scheduling, recruiting, etc. That's probably no more than $35K tops.

How about a "go fund me" page, or soliciting a new sponsor/advertiser for the season and put the money toward paying this, or and extra "pay game" this season? Just a few wise a** ideas...
HSScout1
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:21 pm

For the over analyzers out there, Vowels wasn't in town until yesterday or today I believe. Whatever you want to make of that.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm

DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:For the over analyzers out there, Vowels wasn't in town until yesterday or today I believe. Whatever you want to make of that.

Vowels was attending Horizon League meetings and I believe returned Wednesday.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:35 pm

titanmike wrote:
DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:For the over analyzers out there, Vowels wasn't in town until yesterday or today I believe. Whatever you want to make of that.

Vowels was attending Horizon League meetings and I believe returned Wednesday.

Realize I’m veering off topic here, but things have been pretty quiet on the Horizon League front. I assume expansion is on a back burner, but conference officials and school representatives will need to make some decisions soon on “Motor City Madness” format. Maybe that is some of what got discussed at this week’s HL meeting.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm

There is a UDM board of trustees meeting next week. No idea if the Davis hiring has any reason to go thru that body for 'final approval' (I suspect no, but someone smarter and more connected could answer that).
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Absolutely not required.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

So, there is a guy on Twitter, who says that he is a Houston intern. He claims...

“I have a strong feeling that Mike Davis will not be the Head Coach at Detroit Mercy. I’m not sure if that means he’ll be at Texas Southern next season, stay tuned.”
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Another weekend approaching and still no coach. No communication. Nothing. At this point all I can do is follow the TxSU twitter handle and wait for them to say they've convinced Davis to stay there. And then Tony Paul will ask Vowels for a statement and he either won't respond or he will say Detroit Mercy has not hired a coach yet but they're starting to get serious about reviewing candidates in the coming weeks.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:46 pm

If UDM was unwise enough to wait until this past Monday or the next day to initiate a background check, perhaps the delay is simply the University waiting for that to be completed. When you run a criminal check on a common name like “Mike Davis” it can sometimes take longer because of multiple false hits that need to be sorted through.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Tony Paul:

Good chance Detroit Mercy announces its next head coach sometime next week, perhaps early in the week.

And good chance it's Mike Davis.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Tony Paul
@TonyPaul1984
·
1m
It'll be done soon. I am nearly 100-percent confident it'll be Davis.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 pm

He follows that up saying he is nearly 100-percent confident it’ll be Davis.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

So let’s assume that Mike Davis eventually ends up being our head coach (knock on wood). Not to keep bringing this up, but for the life of me I can’t undertsand why Antoine would commit to Texas Southern just 4 days before it came out his dad was likely to take the UDM job. He might as well just have stayed a free agent at that point right?
Titans03
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball