Would the Mike Davis scheduling philosophy work at UDM?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would the Mike Davis scheduling philosophy work at UDM?

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:50 pm

As posted on another thread: https://m.herosports.com/college-basket ... edule-ahah

Question is, would this work at UDM? I actually like the way Davis thinks. It's smart and outside the box with interest given to the financial health of the athletic program. It's almost a Moneyball type of gangster scheduling philosophy. And the truth is, we could use smart thinking and good financial moves right now. That said, I can think of reasons it might be problematic at UDM.

1. Fans and season ticket holders might not like it. We have a shrinking (but still loyal) fan base. I'm not sure people would accept ZERO non-conference home games, even if justified with the bottom line.

2. It could be considered very unfair to our student athletes. Players like to travel, and showing recruits you travel is generally a selling point. But, there can be too much of a good thing. Travel wears people down, even college kids. More importantly, however, intense travel can make academics much more difficult. We've had enough academic problems the past few years as it is. No offense to Texas Southern, but it's not exactly Harvard. Graduation rate under 20%. Average ACT score in the teens. I can see how a college athlete can juggle 100% road games and remain eligible at Texas Southern in the fall semester. Just look at the Texas Southern schedules the past few seasons. It competes with George Clooney's character in Up in the Air. I think that would be MUCH more difficult at UDM. I'm intrigued by the Davis scheduling model, but I have to conclude it's antithetical to what the university stands for. Maybe there's some watered down version that could work for us.
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Would the Mike Davis scheduling philosophy work at UDM?

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 pm

How many non-con home games should we expect moving forward?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 am

What if we cut out the D2 schools out of our non con schedule and add D1 plus increase a couple more p5 road games. I think that would help both with RPI and revenue?
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:37 am

We will have at least 2 Non Con games and look for games against EMU, and Ohio.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am

We had a strong non-con schedule last season. Average non-con opponent RPI was 126. BTW, Oakland's was 156.

Last season's main problem was the average RPI of our HL opponents, 237.

We need to step up and dominate the HL.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:23 am

titanmike wrote:We will have at least 2 Non Con games and look for games against EMU, and Ohio.

Combining above info from Titan Mike with previously reported opponents, that suggests ten non-conference games already in place for Davis’ inaugural campaign:

H Bowling Green/Hampton/Loyola (Md), Nov. 19 (Legends Classic)
H Bowling Green/Hampton/Loyola (Md), Nov. 20 (Legends Classic)
A California/Temple/St. John's/VCU (Legends Classic)
A Xavier, Dec. 21
A Western Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Ohio
H D2 opponent
H D2 opponent
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am

I personally really like the Davis coaching approach at TSU -- a big part of that is Davis 'getting it' from a money standpoint and realizing the more he can bring in the more he can reinvest into the program. That is hugely important for a midmajor team and could put us on a path to out pace our peers. Could being the operative word.

Having NO home games til HL season in January probably isn't a great idea, but I'm all for raising some money and having the kids travel some.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:36 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
titanmike wrote:We will have at least 2 Non Con games and look for games against EMU, and Ohio.

Combining above info from Titan Mike with previously reported opponents, that suggests ten non-conference games already in place for Davis’ inaugural campaign:

H Bowling Green/Hampton/Loyola (Md), Nov. 19 (Legends Classic)
H Bowling Green/Hampton/Loyola (Md), Nov. 20 (Legends Classic)
A Xavier, Dec. 21
A Western Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Ohio
H D2 opponent
H D2 opponent

I am also hearing Akron, Kent, and ...Loyola
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:57 am

If all the above materializes, that sure would be a road trip friendly schedule.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 pm

In this interview on an Indianapolis radio show, Davis says that he does not want to schedule any non-conference home games because the HL is a one bid league. I may play a couple of home games just to give the season ticket holders 10-11 home games.

https://soundcloud.com/sports1430/new-detroit-mercy-basketball-coach-mike-davis
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Is the Wayne State game going to continue? Or are we just going to use selective amnesia and pretend the series never existed?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 pm

I get his philosophy and like it...theoretically. But no home games other than HL opponents is a lot of time to wait for a home game and D-2 doesn't count to me. Perhaps a middle ground could be found: Fewer home dates in the non-con but keep a few games that have possible rivalry implications: EMU, Toledo, even Bowling Green. Then use the other dates to travel to attractive locales with interesting teams if it can be arranged. Look, the program is in disarray and outside the box thinking is needed to restore some level of interest. FWIW, I love the hire and give AD Vowels props. I haven't posted in a while because there seemed nothing new to say or add that wouldn't be complaining or would serve no purpose except to do my small part to trash a program I still love and want to succeed. This is a good start in the right direction.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Legends Classic schedule comfirmed:

St. John’s, Temple, VCU, and California will host two games on their home courts in addition to playing a pair of games at Barclays Center. They are joined in the Legends Classic by Detroit Mercy, Bowling Green, Hampton, and Loyola Maryland. These four teams will play two road games and meet in the Subregional Rounds at Detroit Mercy on Nov. 19-20. In the Subregional Round semifinals, Bowling Green will play Hampton while the host Titans take on Loyola Maryland.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 pm

So we play Temple and St. John’s at their home courts? Not Barclays, correct?
Titans03
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Titans03 wrote:So we play Temple and St. John’s at their home courts? Not Barclays, correct?

November 9 Detroit at Temple

November 15 Detroit at California

November 19 Home vs Loyola Maryland

November 20 vs Home vs Bowling Green/Hampton
HSScout1
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball