U-D Held Hostage

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: U-D Held Hostage

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

In honor of Day 64 the coaching search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PlCXLZHbuA
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Coaching Changes just tweeted this (note the rebrand fail):

University of Detroit still doesn't have a coach........ this is bad for Div II or III but for Div I heads definitely need to roll on this one...... AD clearly has no clue how to run an program..... we might be looking at an O-30 season from U of D!

I'm disappointed. They were tweeting last week that Davis was our guy. Seems they wouldn't make the tweet today if they thought he was still coming?
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 30, 2018 6:20 am

Day 65 since Bacari was fired. Day 89 since the season ended.

What is the university hiding?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am

Another day with JJ listed as the interim head coach. :cry: I'm sure there are plenty of excuses, but no good reason for this cluster-F.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 30, 2018 9:12 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:Another day with JJ listed as the interim head coach. :cry: I'm sure there are plenty of excuses, but no good reason for this cluster-F.

I think we need to keep understanding the ineptness of the people we have in charge at Liv. and 6 and their attitude that they can do do whatever they want and do not have to answer to anyone. I am just throwing this out there but is it possible that Vowels made a side deal with J.J. and now gone against J.J. is suing the U. on a note he has on a napkin? That might explain J.J. still being listed as the interim coach and us not being able to pull the trigger on a replacement. Never forget we have a couple of people running things who might think they can walk on water. Yet they are out in the middle of the lake and have already revealed that they can,t swim. So here we are hoping they can somehow survive and at the same time pull our boat across some of the very rough water that their flailing has created.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 am

FWIW, there are no actions pending in which JJ Sr is suing the University. That doesn't mean there isn't an active threat of a legal action, but there isn't one in Michigan or Federal court as of this post.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 am

FWIW #2 - the Orlando Magic are reportedly going to hire Steve Clifford as their head coach. Not Kelvin Sampson. If that means anything any more.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-hire-steve-clifford-0531-story.html
Last edited by ptctitan on Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 am

Steve Clifford was just officially named head coach of the Orlando Magic.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:00 am

Lawsuits typically take several months to play out, sometime years. Even if JJ has some sort of basis to sue the University (I doubt it), this fact wouldn’t have to hold up a completely separate process to recruit someone else to fill the position. I think the most likely explanation why the MBB coaching position hasn’t been filled in a reasonably timely manner is just plain ineptitude coupled with lack of proper sense of urgency.

FWIW, the Director of Marketing & Promotions position for Titan athletics was vacated four months ago and still hasn’t been filled. The Assistant Director of M&P has been vacant for significantly longer than that without a replacement hired. There is a disturbing pattern of administrative inefficiency evident and it is causing immense short-term (and likely long-term) damage to the University’s once-proud athletic program.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 30, 2018 10:03 am

Here's a video of Vowels rushing to call Davis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFADFSI7Z4Q
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:55 am

I don't think the school is hiding anything. There are rumors about JJ but they're still just rumors and, as Rogo said, they wouldn't delay RV from making a MBB head coach hire. Regarding the marketing positions, I think many higher ed jobs are pegged for July 1 start dates.

Back to the MBB failed search, INEPTITUDE is the perfect word. I suspect that RV had a preferred candidate (maybe Bronkema, but who knows) and that things unraveled. It doesn't seem RV has the judgment and confidence to now make a decision. And/or he does not have the resources to make the hire he wants. Just my opinion, but the ONLY realistic candidate that we could hire now and not look completely pathetic is Davis. He has great experience, thinks outside the box, and knows how to win with limited resources. His son seems good. Not Ray Jr. good, but a solid HL player for sure. And, with a roster that has just been decimated, we need a good player immediately.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 30, 2018 11:41 am

I did not ask the question because I think the school is hiding a scandal involving someone on the current coaching staff. The central university PR department has control of this process. It is not being controlled by the Athletic Department. One could speculate about a rift between Calihan and Fisher over the candidates. One could speculate that Fisher or their lawyers killed the rumored handshake deal with the candidate preferred by Vowels. Or has played budgetary games with Calihan over the replacement process. Or it could be the other way around with Vowels as the passive-aggressive here.

When I saw that the university's PR department (and not the SID) addressed the Pitino rumor, that raised my concerns about internal politics. This is why I have tempered my criticisms of Vowels personally.

But the process is a failure because the university's decision not to communicate anything about the search has permitted everyone else to write the narrative. It's like the deal killers (lawyers and accountants) are in charge. Yes, it may be ineptitude; but whose? The communication vacuum makes everyone's speculation reasonable. And since the university's PR department is in charge, the entire administration merits the blame until further facts are revealed.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Ok, I follow you now ptc. Honestly, I hope the university did put athletics in its place. I don't like that this has dragged on for months, but (and this is just my opinion) we have been paying the HC too much. If OU can pay Kampe 300K for a good program, I think it's reasonable for alumni (MBB fans or not) to question why we paid BA 450K for such a poor performance. Sure, some HL HCs make near 500K, but there are plenty that do not. I think Davis would be a huge win. If Tony Paul is correct in his latest tweets and UDM will pay Davis around 300K to do the job, it will please most of the fan base while also limiting bad press with alumni who are not crazy about the MBB expenditures relative to the value the program has been bringing the school. And, by all means, give Davis a generous bonus for NCAA tourney appearances. Money well spent.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm

CoachingChanges tweeted: “Heard a rumor that Vowels is our at Detroit to head to the SWAC to be a commissioner. Men’s basketball coach remains unfilled.” The post has since been deleted. It may have been a sarcastic tweet.
Titans03
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed May 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Titans03 wrote:CoachingChanges tweeted: “Heard a rumor that Vowels is our at Detroit to head to the SWAC to be a commissioner. Men’s basketball coach remains unfilled.” The post has since been deleted. It may have been a sarcastic tweet.

It wasn't
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Ok, I follow you now ptc. Honestly, I hope the university did put athletics in its place. I don't like that this has dragged on for months, but (and this is just my opinion) we have been paying the HC too much. If OU can pay Kampe 300K for a good program, I think it's reasonable for alumni (MBB fans or not) to question why we paid BA 450K for such a poor performance. Sure, some HL HCs make near 500K, but there are plenty that do not. I think Davis would be a huge win. If Tony Paul is correct in his latest tweets and UDM will pay Davis around 300K to do the job, it will please most of the fan base while also limiting bad press with alumni who are not crazy about the MBB expenditures relative to the value the program has been bringing the school. And, by all means, give Davis a generous bonus for NCAA tourney appearances. Money well spent.

That assumes that the $450K figure is accurate. I have been told that while it may represent the value of the total compensation package or the potential average annual comp over the length of Bacari's contract assuming certain milestones were met, the actual base salary was much lower than $450K.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:20 pm

titanmike wrote:
Titans03 wrote:CoachingChanges tweeted: “Heard a rumor that Vowels is our at Detroit to head to the SWAC to be a commissioner. Men’s basketball coach remains unfilled.” The post has since been deleted. It may have been a sarcastic tweet.

It wasn't

Wow
Titans03
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:20 pm

titanmike wrote:

It wasn't

SWAC Commissioner did resign last year and the position is still vacant. It's not crazy at all. Maybe there was a three team trade?

Vowels traded from Detroit Mercy to SWAC office
Davis traded from Texas Southern to Detroit Mercy
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

And maybe we send JJ and junior to TSU? IDK, let's just end this!!!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:24 pm

This would explain why the search is taking so long right?
Titans03
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball