When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Tues 5/29 - Sun 6/3
0
No votes
Mon 6/4 - Sun 6/10
3
21%
Mon 6/11 - Sun 6/17
3
21%
Mon 6/18 - Sun 6/24
0
No votes
Mon 6/25 - Sun 7/1
0
No votes
Mon 7/2 or later
6
43%
We will not hire a coach for this season
2
14%
 
Total votes : 14

When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby HSScout1 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am

Because we have exceeded all reasonable expectations from the last poll, let's try part 2.

You know the drill - Pick one from the range of dates (I've widened them to week long periods this time). I'll start with this upcoming Tuesday since it doesn't sound like anything is imminent. The deadline to vote is Monday. We'll make the official date as the day of the press conference/press release, whatever is earlier (if they're different).
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 am

HSScout1 wrote:Because we have exceeded all reasonable expectations from the last poll, let's try part 2.

You know the drill - Pick one from the range of dates (I've widened them to week long periods this time). I'll start with this upcoming Tuesday since it doesn't sound like anything is imminent. The deadline to vote is Monday. We'll make the official date as the day of the press conference/press release, whatever is earlier (if they're different).


As another poster stated, maybe they are waiting for the new fiscal year, therefore I am voting for the new coach to be hired on July 2.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Because we have exceeded all reasonable expectations from the last poll, let's try part 2.

You know the drill - Pick one from the range of dates (I've widened them to week long periods this time). I'll start with this upcoming Tuesday since it doesn't sound like anything is imminent. The deadline to vote is Monday. We'll make the official date as the day of the press conference/press release, whatever is earlier (if they're different).


As another poster stated, maybe they are waiting for the new fiscal year, therefore I am voting for the new coach to be hired on July 2.

It is my understanding that the position has already been offered to and rejected by more than one candidate. I can’t believe this effort has been put on ice for what you say would be three months merely to save a chunk of change. Organizational ineptitude rather than frugality is the much more plausible explanation for the overly extended process.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2842
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Because we have exceeded all reasonable expectations from the last poll, let's try part 2.

You know the drill - Pick one from the range of dates (I've widened them to week long periods this time). I'll start with this upcoming Tuesday since it doesn't sound like anything is imminent. The deadline to vote is Monday. We'll make the official date as the day of the press conference/press release, whatever is earlier (if they're different).


As another poster stated, maybe they are waiting for the new fiscal year, therefore I am voting for the new coach to be hired on July 2.

It is my understanding that the position has already been offered to and rejected by more than one candidate. I can’t believe this effort has been put on ice for what you say would be three months merely to save a chunk of change. Organizational ineptitude rather than frugality is the much more plausible explanation for the overly extended process.


Rogo, would you mind compiling and posting a list of the candidates that have rejected a position coaching basketball that pays over $400,000 a year?
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Titans03 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:39 pm

If Vowels is taking this ling because he wants to land a big fish, I'm somewhat okay with that. After saying that, if you're going to take this long because you want a big fish, you better catch the big fish. Taking this long simply to end up with JJ or Ziegler is completely unacceptable.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Titans03 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:40 pm

*I realize JJ is no longer an option
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm

RBJ1, just because a job pays, say $400K, doesn’t means it’s a no-brainer to accept. For a top assistant at a major D1 program that might mean just a marginal pay increase, and everyday the Detroit Mercy job is looking more and more like a set-up for failure. Someday, when this long drawn out process is over, info will leak out with some names of the guys who declined the offer. But to list them now will not serve a useful purpose. I think it’s a relatively short list if that makes you feel better.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2842
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri May 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Titans03 wrote:*I realize JJ is no longer an option


I think Ernie is a lot more unacceptable than JJ. If we hire Ziegler after all of this, think about the pattern. We get rid of Ray to hire BA whose claim to fame is he is a flashy dresser then we get rid of BA, pay him to not coach here and hire another guy who looks like the only thing he can do is dress nicely. So in my opinion we fire a guy to hire another guy who we fire to hire another guy, and the only thing we accomplish is spend more money than necessary, lose two recruiting classes, kick our fan base and get some mud in the eye and maybe get a guy who can not dress as well as the guy he is replacing. Looks to me like the only one benefiting is Men's Warehouse. But we are not talking to Pitino who said he would like to coach at a Catholic University and we have some on here who are supportive of who is driving this bus.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby NC Titan » Fri May 25, 2018 2:13 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:… Pitino who said he would like to coach at a Catholic University ....


That's for easy access to a priest and a confessional.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm

UP gets it. Every post right on the money. Must be something in the water up there.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:RBJ1, just because a job pays, say $400K, doesn’t means it’s a no-brainer to accept. For a top assistant at a major D1 program that might mean just a marginal pay increase, and everyday the Detroit Mercy job is looking more and more like a set-up for failure. Someday, when this long drawn out process is over, info will leak out with some names of the guys who declined the offer. But to list them now will not serve a useful purpose. I think it’s a relatively short list if that makes you feel better.


Rogo, I admit that I am titan bias, but it is difficult for me to believe that Bronkema would turn us down. He recruits the metro Detroit area pretty well, he had a couple of recruits going to Ferris that could've helped us immediately. The talent in the PSL and the metro area isn't quite what it used to be, but there is still plenty of talent in the area. He could've been successful at UofD. If Bronkema turn the job down in hopes of landing something better he must not have a lot of confidence in his abilities as a basketball coach. The only other coach whose rejection of us would hurt my feelings would be Mike Davis.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:03 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:RBJ1, just because a job pays, say $400K, doesn’t means it’s a no-brainer to accept. For a top assistant at a major D1 program that might mean just a marginal pay increase, and everyday the Detroit Mercy job is looking more and more like a set-up for failure. Someday, when this long drawn out process is over, info will leak out with some names of the guys who declined the offer. But to list them now will not serve a useful purpose. I think it’s a relatively short list if that makes you feel better.


Rogo, I admit that I am titan bias, but it is difficult for me to believe that Bronkema would turn us down. He recruits the metro Detroit area pretty well, he had a couple of recruits going to Ferris that could've helped us immediately. The talent in the PSL and the metro area isn't quite what it used to be, but there is still plenty of talent in the area. He could've been successful at UofD. If Bronkema turn the job down in hopes of landing something better he must not have a lot of confidence in his abilities as a basketball coach. The only other coach whose rejection of us would hurt my feelings would be Mike Davis.

Well one of the following things surely happened: Either 1) Bronkema turned down the offer for whatever reasons, or 2) UDM decided not to offer, convinced it was better to extend an already excessively long process because there are better qualified candidates still in the applicant pool ready and interested in taking the job. Guess we’ll just have to see how things play out.

Also IMO, Bronkema rejecting a UDM offer because he thinks a better one might be coming in the next year or two from a less disfunctional program would seem to me a reflection of confidence, not the lack of this characteristic as you suggest. And from where I'm sitting, turning down an offer does not seem like an altogether irrational decision.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2842
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Titans03 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 pm

The first reason is what took place.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Bronkema was not offered the job.
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm

What would be more disturbing to hear, that someone turned down the opportunity to be the Detroit Mercy coach, or that in a process that is now in its third month the University hasn’t seem fit to offer the position to a single candidate?
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2842
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 pm

I am assuming that having an interim coach is the same as not hiring a coach.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Titans96 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 pm

I do not think members of this board understand how many prospective coaching candidates don’t want the job. They don't want anything to do with Vowels. The entire coaching community knows what a joke he is and they know how he forced JJSr on Ray and BA. For sure, any serious candidate has zero interest in working for a guy like Vowels.

I am pretty sure Mann, Stephens, Bronkema and Donnelly all took that approach and said “no way if Vowels is my boss”.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Titans96 wrote:I do not think members of this board understand how many prospective coaching candidates don’t want the job. They don't want anything to do with Vowels. The entire coaching community knows what a joke he is and they know how he forced JJSr on Ray and BA. For sure, any serious candidate has zero interest in working for a guy like Vowels.

I am pretty sure Mann, Stephens, Bronkema and Donnelly all took that approach and said “no way if Vowels is my boss”.


i would be very disappointed if we even interviewed Mann,Stephens or Donnelly.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm

NC Titan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:… Pitino who said he would like to coach at a Catholic University ....


That's for easy access to a priest and a confessional.


He would be the best thing to happen to us in the last 10 yrs. and might be our only way out.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby Titans96 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
Titans96 wrote:I do not think members of this board understand how many prospective coaching candidates don’t want the job. They don't want anything to do with Vowels. The entire coaching community knows what a joke he is and they know how he forced JJSr on Ray and BA. For sure, any serious candidate has zero interest in working for a guy like Vowels.

I am pretty sure Mann, Stephens, Bronkema and Donnelly all took that approach and said “no way if Vowels is my boss”.


i would be very disappointed if we even interviewed Mann,Stephens or Donnelly.

I am not sure the Titans have had many, if any, interviews. I am pretty sure these guys were asked to come in and turned down the request.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests