When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Tues 5/29 - Sun 6/3
No votes
Mon 6/4 - Sun 6/10
21%
Mon 6/11 - Sun 6/17
21%
Mon 6/18 - Sun 6/24
No votes
Mon 6/25 - Sun 7/1
No votes
Mon 7/2 or later
43%
We will not hire a coach for this season
14%

Total votes : 14

Re: When will the new coach be hired - Part 2

Postby udballer » Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 pm

Titans96 wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:
Titans96 wrote:I do not think members of this board understand how many prospective coaching candidates don’t want the job. They don't want anything to do with Vowels. The entire coaching community knows what a joke he is and they know how he forced JJSr on Ray and BA. For sure, any serious candidate has zero interest in working for a guy like Vowels.

I am pretty sure Mann, Stephens, Bronkema and Donnelly all took that approach and said “no way if Vowels is my boss”.

i would be very disappointed if we even interviewed Mann,Stephens or Donnelly.

I am not sure the Titans have had many, if any, interviews. I am pretty sure these guys were asked to come in and turned down the request.

But 96, you should be pretty happy with Vowels if he actually asked all 3 of the guys that you've been lobbying for to come in for an interview.

On the flip side, I want either Mike Thomas or Lou Dawkins. Doesn't sound like Vowels took my advice the same way he took yours.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Sorry, nothing to be happy about with Vowels. He has been successful at destroying Titans basketball since his arrival. Zero for anyone to be excited about.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm

At this point in the calendar, virtually all the shuffling of college hoops coaching personnel that is going to take place has already happened. Our job has been vacant for months, and anyone remotely interested in being coach at UDM has had ample time to contact the school to throw their hat in the ring. There has been more than sufficient time to interview, evaluate and vet basically qualified applicants to determine the best fit to take the reins of the Titan program. No excuses whatsoever for letting this thing drag on past Memorial Day. By stalling on this, UDM is:

- Increasing risk of losing current players through defection;
- Severely truncating the time available to recruit prospects from the shrinking pool of marginal players available for coming season;
- Laying a shaky foundation for 2019 recruiting;
- Frustrating and alienating what remains of a shrinking fan base;
- Chasing away longtime donors and choking financial contributions to the athletic program;
- Complicating scheduling for the fast-approaching season;
- Creating a poor image for the MBB program in local and even national media outlets, as well as with the general public;
- Adding difficulty to the eventual selectee’s task of putting together a new staff over the summer.

Time to hire a new coach!
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Sat May 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Amen Rogobob
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun May 27, 2018 5:49 am

Agree rogobob. It is a failed process.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:44 am

Tony Paul of the Detroit News Tweets this morning: “It's been more than two months since Detroit Mercy fired Bacari Alexander, and it still doesn't have a new head men's basketball coach. There was at least one handshake agreement, with a deal so far down the road that candidate told his old (current) school. Then things blew up.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:23 am

Does anyone even know if Vowels is still the AD? Maybe his is gone as well...?

They have managed to piss-off every single alum that loves the Titans and frankly, that's a feat in and of itself! :lol:
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Last year the University sponsored a UDM coaches-led basketball camp that took place June 19-21. Currently the school’s website says “Camp Dates & Times for 2018: To Be Determined.” In our coach-less state, I wouldn’t expect there to be one this summer, another missed opportunity to build relationships with top high school talent and maybe even generate a few bucks.

A couple days before Bacari got canned, advertising went out about the 2018 camp with his image and name prominently displayed. That’s one of the reasons I believe that the original plan was to allow BA to coach the 2018-19 season. Then it appears something abruptly happened to convince the school that it was necessary to change course resulting in the late-March firing.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 pm

:shock:

How come I have the feeling there are going to be scandalous stories about UDM basketball in the Free Press in the future?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Tacitus651 wrote::shock:

How come I have the feeling there are going to be scandalous stories about UDM basketball in the Free Press in the future?

Is that because Tony Paul writes for the News? :?:

This entire season has a soap opera feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANgFADltvw
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Last year the University sponsored a UDM coaches-led basketball camp that took place June 19-21. Currently the school’s website says “Camp Dates & Times for 2018: To Be Determined.” In our coach-less state, I wouldn’t expect there to be one this summer, another missed opportunity to build relationships with top high school talent and maybe even generate a few bucks.

A couple days before Bacari got canned, advertising went out about the 2018 camp with his image and name prominently displayed. That’s one of the reasons I believe that the original plan was to allow BA to coach the 2018-19 season. Then it appears something abruptly happened to convince the school that it was necessary to change course resulting in the late-March firing.

+1, I agree that the initial plan was for Bacari Alexander to coach the team in 2018-2019, however he didn't need to have a replacement on deck, but he should've had someone in mind. The late Don Canham who was the AD at UofM for 20 years stated that he always kept a list of potential replacements for all of his coaches in his rolodex. Vowels really screwed this up.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 pm

And I believe until perhaps as late as the last couple of months, JJ was considered at least a possible replacement for BA if needed, but that option fell apart somewhat abruptly too.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 pm

ptc, I say the Free Press because they only seem to write about UDM when there's a scandal that will get clicks. They loved reporting the Keri story. When we made the tourney in 2012 I felt the lack of coverage was insulting. At least Detroit News covers us, although the blatant OU bias and constant subtle jabs at us by Paul hardly makes it worth it.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu May 31, 2018 7:34 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Last year the University sponsored a UDM coaches-led basketball camp that took place June 19-21. Currently the school’s website says “Camp Dates & Times for 2018: To Be Determined.”

On a related note, it looks like the Special Needs Camp was scheduled for June 28. I only know that because I clicked on the .pdf on this page: http://www.detroittitans.com/documents/ ... s_Camp.pdf Maybe it is still going. Who knows? Its not on the master schedule (but that may only contains games).

The men's team and coaches always helped out at this event, and the campers loved it. I suppose if we have any players left they can help, along with the women's team who is always there.

The current administration has not supported this event like previous administrations, which is too bad because it could have grown into an even greater event. I'm pretty sure the numbers and publicity have declined with Robert in charge. It was a great way to get new fans while providing these mostly young people a camp like no other.

Vowels also dropped the ball on the DeBusschere Scholarship Dinner (which could have been huge), but that's another story.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 am

There has been a lot of inattention to detail since Vowels took over as AD. For example, the people tasked with running the Athletic Department website left a lot of outdated material on it for years. They left up an outdated donor list on the Cal Club/Titan Club part of the site for over 3 years. For many, that website constitutes the first impression of the department.

Only recently was that part of the website updated.

If you are going to publicize the DeBusschere dinners as a perk for joining a certain CAL Club level, then you better have the dinners. When you don't, it's a bad decision.

The entire coaching search process displays a bunker mentality.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 am

ptctitan wrote:There has been a lot of inattention to detail since Vowels took over as AD. For example, the people tasked with running the Athletic Department website left a lot of outdated material on it for years. They left up an outdated donor list on the Cal Club/Titan Club part of the site for over 3 years. For many, that website constitutes the first impression of the department.

Only recently was that part of the website updated.

If you are going to publicize the DeBusschere dinners as a perk for joining a certain CAL Club level, then you better have the dinners. When you don't, it's a bad decision.

The entire coaching search process displays a bunker mentality.

I wonder how Cliff broadcasts games in heaven.

https://www.detroittitans.com/staff.aspx
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:03 am

In an attempt to cosmically jettison the DetroitTitanHoops.com message board from its current cynical downer funk, thought I’d share a link to a wonderful video of “June is bustin' out all over” from the film adaptation of Roger & Hammerstein’s “Carousal”:

https://youtu.be/0I-790dGx-o

I think Oscar Hammerstein’s lyric (transcribed below) perfectly captures the wondrous anticipation that accompanies June’s arrival — who knows, this very well could be the month Detroit Mercy finally hires a coach!

March went out like a lion
Awakin' up the water in the bay;
Then April cried and stepped aside,
And along came pretty little May!
May was full of promises
But she didn't keep 'em quickly enough for some
And the crowd of doubtin' Thomases
Was predictin' that the summer'd never come

But it's comin' by dawn,
We can feel it come,
You can feel it in your heart
You can see it in the ground

You can see it in the trees
You can smell it in the breeze

Look around! Look around! Look around!

June is bustin' out all over
All over the meadow and the hill!
Buds're bustin' outa bushes
And the rompin' river pushes
Ev'ry little wheel that wheels beside the mill!

The feelin' is gettin' so intense,
That the young Virginia creepers
Hev been huggin' the bejeepers
Outa all the mornin' glories on the fence!
Because it's June...

June, June, June
Just because it's June, June, June!

Fresh and alive and gay and young
June is a love song, sweetly song

June is bustin' out all over!
The saplin's are bustin' out with sap!
Love hes found my brother, Junior,
And my sister's even loonier!
And my Ma is gettin' kittenish with Pap!
June in bustin' out all over

To ladies and men are payin' court.
Lotsa ships are kept at anchor
Jest because the captains hanker
Fer the comfort they ken only get in port!

Because it's June... June, June, June

June makes the bay look bright and new
Sails gleamin' bright on sunlit blue

(EXPLICIT LYRICS ADVISORY: per PETA, the next stanza contains language that may be considered offensive to lady fishes.)

The ocean is full of Jacks and Jills,
With the little tail a-swishing'
Ev'ry lady fish is wishin'
That a male would come
And grab 'er by the gills!

June is bustin' out all over!
The sheep aren't sleepin' anymore!
All the rams that chase ewe-sheep
All determined there'll be new sheep
and the ewe-sheep aren't even keepin' score!

On acounta it's June! June, June, June
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:16 am

Ahh, how wonderful it is to wake up to this Rogo!! Rodgers and Hammerstein were genius. Their musical theatre writing partnership has been called the greatest of the 20th century. Rogers composing and Hammerstein writing the lyrics to this funkielecious score...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am

The university will announce the new coach at Stonehenge during the celebration of the summer solstice on June 21. However, the year of this announcement remains uncertain.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:57 am

Looks like the correct answer will be Mon 6/11 - Sun 6/17.

Only 2 people voted for this option and believe it or not, I was one of them!
HSScout1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball