Mike Davis new coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Mike Davis new coach

Postby cedar1973 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 am

If Mike Davis is the new coach who is on the team Tony Paul said
"Corey Allen and Josh McFolley to transfers, Kam Chatman to the NBA, and Roschon Prince, Jaleel Hogan, DeShawndre Black and Isaiah Jones to eligibility exhaustion. "
Who's left?
cedar1973
Senior

Re: Mike Davis new coach

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 am

I hope Josh stays. I think he will. Davis is a very respected basketball name. Josh should finish his senior year and graduate. Unless he somehow racked up enough credits to graduate by end of summer, transferring is an awful decision.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:44 am

cedar1973 wrote:If Mike Davis is the new coach who is on the team Tony Paul said
"Corey Allen and Josh McFolley to transfers, Kam Chatman to the NBA, and Roschon Prince, Jaleel Hogan, DeShawndre Black and Isaiah Jones to eligibility exhaustion. "
Who's left?

Josh McFolley has not transferred as of yet. I am not sure of Jones eligibility being exhausted.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 am

No, Who's on first!

Seriously, if we can get Antoine Davis and a couple of good JUCOs, along with the few remaining players from last year's team, we could start to show some promise by the end of next season. That's what a good coach could do. It sure is too bad that we lost Corey. :-(
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 am

Welcome to the Titans coach, please know that many of the vocal smartass individuals on here do not represent the Titans as a whole if you happen to pull up this board! There are many honorable Titan fans and supporters that are excited to have you here and start a new chapter in Titan lore!
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 am

titanmike wrote:
cedar1973 wrote:If Mike Davis is the new coach who is on the team Tony Paul said
Who's left?

Josh McFolley has not transferred as of yet. I am not sure of Jones eligibility being exhausted.

Yep, Jones did not exhaust eligibility, but his knee was exhausted big time. He has his degree in hand and hope he does well in all his future endeavors.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
titanmike wrote:
Who's left?

Yep, Jones did not exhaust eligibility, but his knee was exhausted big time. He has his degree in hand and hope he does well in all his future endeavors.

True Dat
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:45 am

Titan Jim wrote:No, Who's on first!

Seriously, if we can get Antoine Davis and a couple of good JUCOs, along with the few remaining players from last year's team, we could start to show some promise by the end of next season. That's what a good coach could do. It sure is too bad that we lost Corey. :-(

I mourn the loss of the incoming freshmen; that class had the potential to be pretty good.

I wonder if they didn't necessarily sign LOIs and might reconsider now that we have a coach. After all, Hightower signed with Presbyterian, which is quite a few rungs below UDM. Nelson went to NKU, if I recall correctly, so I doubt they would let him change back to UDM.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 am

NC Titan wrote:
Titan Jim wrote:No, Who's on first!

I mourn the loss of the incoming freshmen; that class had the potential to be pretty good.

I wonder if they didn't necessarily sign LOIs and might reconsider now that we have a coach. After all, Hightower signed with Presbyterian, which is quite a few rungs below UDM. Nelson went to NKU, if I recall correctly, so I doubt they would let him change back to UDM.

I don't know about either, but I think we would be hard pressed to get Nelson back. He liked Bacari, and prior to his Det Commitment he was practically going to NKU.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am

I think Nelson signed a new binding LOI with NKU; Hightower committed to Presbyterian after the signing period so he’s still theoretically somewhat of a free agent.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 am

Let Davis get his own players. If he wants to try and salvage a Bacari commit, then fine. If not, that's fine, too. I trust Davis for knowing what to do in situations like this one since he's had to deal with similar situations at previous stops.

Mid-Major Madness has this article today.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/6/17433568/mike-davis-leaves-texas-southern-to-become-detroit-mercys-head-coach-indiana-uab

"Detroit’s chaotic search for Bacari Alexander’s replacement spanned over two months, and for it to result in a hire of Davis’s caliber is somewhat surprising."

"He’s found success at every stop, posting a career record of 352-241. He’s taken nine teams to the NCAA Tournament, and has made it at least once at each of his previous programs. It’s a good hire by Detroit Mercy, albeit a surprising one."
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Texas Southern University just Tweeted a graphic listing all of Mike Davis’ accomplishments at the school and thanking him for his years there. Classy.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

ptctitan wrote:Let Davis get his own players. If he wants to try and salvage a Bacari commit, then fine. If not, that's fine, too. I trust Davis for knowing what to do in situations like this one since he's had to deal with similar situations at previous stops.

Totally agree .... Davis is now running the show. Of course I'm hoping he can convince McFolley to finish his college career at UDM. Assuming Tariiq Jones has addressed his academic issues, our new coach may consider giving Tariiq an opportunity for a 'fresh start'. In addition, I won't be surprised if Mike Jones takes a close look at BJ Simmons and Jesse Barnes as additions to the squad.
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Per Verbal Commits, JoJo Anderson has reopened his commitment from Texas Southern. 6-3 PG
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm

right you are ptc. i think one of bacari’s big mistakes was not cleaning house when he got here. let to a rift between the new guys and the old guys. poorly managed perhaps but there nonetheless. new coach new team new day!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 pm

titanmike wrote:Per Verbal Commits, JoJo Anderson has reopened his commitment from Texas Southern. 6-3 PG

In the 2017-18 season, JoJo Anderson completed his sophomore year at Northern Arizona University. In high school; he was a three-year team captain and four-year letterman, McDonald’s All-American Game nominee, earned all-district and all-state honors, and helped his team to back-to-back state championships. Also competed in track & field, was a member of his school’s 4x100-meter relay team that competed at the state championships.
titandave
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:55 pm

titanmac wrote:right you are ptc. i think one of bacari’s big mistakes was not cleaning house when he got here. let to a rift between the new guys and the old guys. poorly managed perhaps but there nonetheless. new coach new team new day!

One of the major mistakes Bacari Alexander made was the deal he made with the Chatmans. Kam seemed like a nice young man, but he did whatever he wanted to do on the court with zero repercussions. That's how you destroy team chemistry and lose the respect of your players.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm

titandave wrote:
titanmike wrote:Per Verbal Commits, JoJo Anderson has reopened his commitment from Texas Southern. 6-3 PG

In the 2017-18 season, JoJo Anderson completed his sophomore year at Northern Arizona University. In high school; he was a three-year team captain and four-year letterman, McDonald’s All-American Game nominee, earned all-district and all-state honors, and helped his team to back-to-back state championships. Also competed in track & field, was a member of his school’s 4x100-meter relay team that competed at the state championships.

Is this correct: Anderson played two years at NAU, declared that he was transferring and committed to TxSU. He'll have to sit for a red-shirt year. Question: When a player transfer does he sign the equivalent of a LOI?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Let the bidding begin.
A source familiar with Davis' thinking told the Free Press media reports of him taking the job were premature. Texas Southern's board of regents are in the process of trying to keep Davis on campus with a better financial package, the source said.

The source also said Davis will likely leave the program and take the job at UDM if he doesn't receive the compensation he's looking for. If TSU comes up with the money he's likely to stay.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2018 ... 677493002/

Do I hear $300,000? $300? $300? "Here" $350? $350? "YUP!" Can I get $400? $400?
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball