I May Be Crazy But...

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

I May Be Crazy But...

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:30 pm

If all TSU had to do was to meet our offer to Mike Davis from 3 days ago to keep him, what is taking so long?

The AD would have to discuss with the school president and decide if he is worth $300,000 or not.

I am now feeling more optimistic than pessimistic.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Re: I May Be Crazy But...

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 pm

So, they are going to raise money to meet Davis’ $300,00 salary this year? What about in subsequent years? Are they going to “Go Fund Me” every year going forward? Yes, it is flattering to be loved and wanted. However, if I were Mike Davis, I would be very leery of a plan like that.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 pm

One of the media reports mentioned that some TSU Regents were looking to try to come up with a plan to match the Titans’ offer. It is a public university, some of this is much more complicated than it would be at a private institution like UDM. Some Regents might think it’s a good idea to up Davis’ salary, but who knows if that is consensus view of the entire group. There are potential related consequences, e.g., are they going to have to incease assistant coaches salaries for MBB, the WBB coaches’ compensation, coaches for other sports, etc. Their scheduling philosophy (all road games for non-conference portion) suggests perhaps TSU is tight-fisted with funds for athletics. Their AD’s initial reaction to say goodbye and thanks seems to indicate that they were not interested in getting into a bidding war for Davis’ services.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm

It may not be necessary to match our offer. Family may like Houston or be against moving. So a counteroffer could be on the table even if not equal to our offer. Leverage is certainly not on our side.

I
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Interesting, I’m going through this now with a large company. They are offering, with bonuses and such but I’m sure I’m going to have to negotiate the base.

Gotta love that UDM grad degree. Very marketable indeed.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:04 pm

I am still optimist because all TSU had to do was offer more money.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball