Roster 2018-2019

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Roster 2018-2019

Postby NC Titan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:43 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I am hoping we sign a player with some size and physicality, we need a rebounder/bruiser type to complete the roster

Agreed. The most recent name, Willy Isiani, is 6-foot-9 and listed as a PF but also listed at 200 pounds. Although one site describes him as a "big body."
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I am hoping we sign a player with some size and physicality, we need a rebounder/bruiser type to complete the roster

I am thinking that Willy Isani is the rebounder bruiser for next year, hopefully Gerald is healthy and up to the challenge as an upper classman!
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:35 pm

european ballers aren’t known for their physicality.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:23 pm

titanmac wrote:european ballers aren’t known for their physicality.

Georgia is half in Asia, half in Europe. Hopefully Willy is from the Asian part.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

It appears that Harrison Curry fits this description. Hopefully, he'll be available for the 2018-19 season.
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 am

Willy Isiani's weight varies. It depends upon how much khinkali and khachapuri he is eating before each weigh-in.

If Isiani is on the team, will Calihan Hall refreshment stands begin to sell those Georgian foods along with hot dogs and nachos? Instead of pizza in the Titan Club room, free khinkali and khachapuras with your beer.

BTW, the proper way to eat khinkali, kind of like a periogi, but stuffed with meat, is suck all of the juices out of the dumpling before you bite into the solid filling.

And we need to be anti-fragile about this - when we spill the juice all over our Titan shirts on our first few attempts.

Bucharest Grill has nothing like these. ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am

Any word on eboigbodin?
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Any word on eboigbodin?

Supposedly going to Northeastern but he changes his mind a lot. Reasons for leaving Illinois were really quite vague he stated he was happy there and liked the coaches but it sounded like he wanted to get nearer to friends and familiar people so he moved out East. Sure looks like the piece we need to complete our puzzle. Too bad we are the University of Detroit Mercy I know Greg is familiar with the University of Detroit name and Calihan.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:14 am

LMAO - ya think?
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 am

Was hoping to get him or Trayvon Reed from TxSU. I never was able to figure out Reed’s remaining eligibility. Maybe we can get him next year as a grad transfer.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 am

Boe Nguidjol is in the house.

6'9" Middlebrooks Academy, Los Angeles

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/boe-nguidjol

https://twitter.com/Boekning8?lang=en
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 am

Known Returnees
Josh McFolley - G
Cole Long - F
Gerald Blackshear, Jr. - F/C

New Recruits
Antoine Davis - G (Freshman)
TraQuan Knight - G (Jr. - JUCO)
Jacob Holland - G (Grad Transfer - Sr.)
Jared Rosser - F (Freshman)
Marques Moore - F (Freshman)
Harrison Curry - F/C (Jr. - Transfer from 4-yr school may not eligible this season)
Darrell Riley - PG (Jr. JUCO transfer)
Willy Isiani - F (Freshman, 21 yrs old from nation of Georgia)
Boe Nguidjol - F (Freshman)

If Davis is not on scholarship, we could bring in up to 2 more scholarship players for this season.

Eichler's status still not official one way or the other.
Last edited by ptctitan on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am

Freshmen orientation all this week, classes start next week, so quite possible this may be the roster going into the MBB season.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:49 pm

The obvious huge difference from last year to this year is the sudden recruiting success. I'm not making a judgement on the quality as yet, but last year was an endless merry go round about only two players. Would we get them? Who are we competing against for them? How good will they be? That all happened despite the obvious connection we had with those two players. This new regime must have some sort of magic dust that they are sprinkling on these recruits. How else do you explain bringing in 9 guys of various backgrounds in only 2 months who had no previous relationship with the school? It's another indication that there was something fundamentally wrong with the previous regime and that the new one has much deeper relationships and strategies. Looking forward to hearing more about how they all mesh together and beginning to feel optimistic about the near-term future.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 am

77-85Titan wrote:The obvious huge difference from last year to this year is the sudden recruiting success. I'm not making a judgement on the quality as yet, but last year was an endless merry go round about only two players. Would we get them? Who are we competing against for them? How good will they be? That all happened despite the obvious connection we had with those two players. This new regime must have some sort of magic dust that they are sprinkling on these recruits. How else do you explain bringing in 9 guys of various backgrounds in only 2 months who had no previous relationship with the school? It's another indication that there was something fundamentally wrong with the previous regime and that the new one has much deeper relationships and strategies. Looking forward to hearing more about how they all mesh together and beginning to feel optimistic about the near-term future.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Davis has it.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:08 pm

ptctitan wrote:
New Recruits
Antoine Davis - G (Freshman)
TraQuan Knight - G (Jr. - JUCO)
Jacob Holland - G (Grad Transfer - Sr.)
Jared Rosser - F (Freshman)
Marques Moore - F (Freshman)
Harrison Curry - F/C (Jr. - Transfer from 4-yr school may not eligible this season)
Darrell Riley - PG (Jr. JUCO transfer)
Willy Isiani - F (Freshman, 21 yrs old from nation of Georgia)
Boe Nguidjol - F (Freshman)

I believe we'll see immediate and strong contribution from at least 5 of the new recruits ..... Antoine Davis, TraQuan Knight, Jacob Holland, Darrell Riley, and Harrison Curry (assumes he's eligible for 2018-19 season).
titandave
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 pm

It will be interesting how Gerald, Cole and Josh do with the new coach, if there is improvement and if Josh is utilized to his full potential on that wing.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:35 pm

77-85Titan wrote:This new regime must have some sort of magic dust that they are sprinkling on these recruits. How else do you explain bringing in 9 guys of various backgrounds in only 2 months who had no previous relationship with the school? It's another indication that there was something fundamentally wrong with the previous regime and that the new one has much deeper relationships and strategies.

Not stick up for BA at all, but I would bet Davis and his staff already had a connection with most of these recruits before he got here. Moving to UofD is a slight move up from Texas Southern so it wouldn't be that hard of a sell. BA was recruiting players for the Big 10. Those guys were not going to be interested in coming to UofD just because BA was coming. I am not saying Davis won't be a recruiter and hasn't done a fine job so far, but it may not be fair to compare him with BA yet.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:24 pm

In their first two months on the job, BA and his staff retained the prior commitments of Corey Allen and Isaiah Jones made to Ray McCallum. In addition, they signed Dre Black, Kam Chatman, Cole Long, and Malik Eichler. That was six new players. After the 2016-17 season, BA and his staff recruited Roschon Prince, Tariiq Jones, JJJr, and Jack Ballantyne. Last November, BA signed Adrian Nelson and Corey Hightower. JJ was BA's recruiting coordinator.

Coach Davis and his staff should be commended for finding 9 or more new players with such a late start to their recruiting process. Like 77-85, I'm very interested to see how this season's Titans develop as a team under the coaching of Davis and his staff. I'm trusting that the many seasons of D-1 game experience by Coach Davis and his staff will produce a better product on the floor than the ones fielded for the past 2 seasons. But November and December could be very inconsistent and somewhat frustrating until our roster gets used to playing together under D-1 game conditions. I believe that the genuine intensity, maturity, and experience of our head coach will translate into a better record than the past two seasons. It would also help this year if Curry obtains a waiver to play this season rather than wait until the 2019-20 season. But I'm assuming that he will not get that waiver from the NCAA. Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to the future; and, not backwards at our recent failures.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:00 pm

The team roster right now has five guards, five forwards and a guard/forward. Two of the forwards are big enough to play center, but one is oft-injured (Blackshear) and one is a red-shirt transfer.

The class breakdown is: one graduate student, two seniors, three juniors, one sophomore (walk-on) and four freshmen.
NC Titan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball