Roster 2018-2019

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Roster 2018-2019

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:02 pm

I like the roster, all things considered. Question will be, as noted, can Davis coach these guys up? Second question will be, can Davis coach his son to make the players around him better? Ray Sr. did a decent job on that front, but certainly not perfect. There were times Jr. should have passed and instead shot. Times he was kept in the game to play a 37th minute when he was clearly gassed. I think Ray Sr. was able to convince guys to play with his son partly because he was a top 100 and McDs All-America. Antoine is good, but not that good, and not a true PG like Ray. Different situations but similar enough that we will all be watching and comparing. The good news is, Antoine doesn’t come in with nearly the pressure/expectations that Ray Jr. did.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I like the roster, all things considered. Question will be, as noted, can Davis coach these guys up? Second question will be, can Davis coach his son to make the players around him better? Ray Sr. did a decent job on that front, but certainly not perfect. There were times Jr. should have passed and instead shot. Times he was kept in the game to play a 37th minute when he was clearly gassed. I think Ray Sr. was able to convince guys to play with his son partly because he was a top 100 and McDs All-America. Antoine is good, but not that good, and not a true PG like Ray. Different situations but similar enough that we will all be watching and comparing. The good news is, Antoine doesn’t come in with nearly the pressure/expectations that Ray Jr. did.

Players might enjoy playing with Antoine better than Ray. Antoine looks like he can shoot and pass the ball and maybe drive to his left. I always thought it funny that Ray was a PG but couldn't coach a PG. There was really bad favoritism when Ray was here and also last year. I am hoping it doesn't exist this year.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:10 pm

DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:It will be interesting how Gerald, Cole and Josh do with the new coach, if there is improvement and if Josh is utilized to his full potential on that wing.

I hoping that Darrell Riley, Jr. and Antoine Davis are as good as advertised ... this will enable Josh the opportunity to focus his full attention on SG or Wing. I'm thinking we'll also see Jacob Holland get playing time as a Wing.
titandave
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 am

In your original post, 77-85, if the two players you were talking about were JJJ and Jack, then yes, there was some question about getting them, BUT, if we got one, then we were getting both, since they appear to be in lockstep even now, having left the program. If, instead, the two players were Chatman and JJJ, the circumstances were different. Chatman was already sitting out in BA's first year and his Dad was already on the coaching staff, so there was not any uncertainty about him, just JJJ. Mostly, I agree with the rest of your post. Davis has more credibility and deeper connections in the sport than BA. Likely, he knew of at least some of these 8 or 9 new players. A few were lightly recruited or unrecruited but worth a shot and we'll see what happens. It seems clear that Jacob Holland falls into the former category and Mike feels he can provide scoring, based upon his results at New Mexico State and the last school he attended.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:24 am

dennycrane wrote:It seems clear that Jacob Holland falls into the former category and Mike feels he can provide scoring, based upon his results at New Mexico State and the last school he attended.

Before you get too excited about Jacob Holland, he didn't play for New Mexico State, he played for New Mexico Highlands (kind of like UM Dearborn). He was very consistent in scoring 14-16 point per game last season, but it was against schools like Regis and Colorado School of Mines and Johnson & Wales. UDM is his fourth college team (Otero JC, a red-shirt year at Fresno State, and a year at NMHU).

That said, I expect that Davis brought him in for his maturity, to bring some experience to a team with so many freshmen and so many new faces. I expect him to be a good influence on the team, not the guy lighting up the scoreboard every night.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:18 pm

NC Titan wrote:Before you get too excited about Jacob Holland, he didn't play for New Mexico State, he played for New Mexico Highlands (kind of like UM Dearborn). He was very consistent in scoring 14-16 point per game last season, but it was against schools like Regis and Colorado School of Mines and Johnson & Wales. UDM is his fourth college team (Otero JC, a red-shirt year at Fresno State, and a year at NMHU). That said, I expect that Davis brought him in for his maturity, to bring some experience to a team with so many freshmen and so many new faces. I expect him to be a good influence on the team, not the guy lighting up the scoreboard every night.

It's interesting that Jacob Holland is immediately eligible; last season he attended New Mexico Highlands which is a Division II school. Several years ago, I re-call a specific situation where a player transferred from DII --> DI and he had to sit out for a year. Evidentially that's no longer the case.

2014-15 Otero Junior College
2015-16 Otero Junior College
2016-17 Fresno State (RS)
2017-18 New Mexico Highlands
titandave
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Seems funny that there are 2-4 tall strangers walking around Calihan and no one asks them who they are and what they are doing there?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:45 pm

titandave wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Before you get too excited about Jacob Holland, he didn't play for New Mexico State, he played for New Mexico Highlands (kind of like UM Dearborn). He was very consistent in scoring 14-16 point per game last season, but it was against schools like Regis and Colorado School of Mines and Johnson & Wales. UDM is his fourth college team (Otero JC, a red-shirt year at Fresno State, and a year at NMHU). That said, I expect that Davis brought him in for his maturity, to bring some experience to a team with so many freshmen and so many new faces. I expect him to be a good influence on the team, not the guy lighting up the scoreboard every night.

It's interesting that Jacob Holland is immediately eligible; last season he attended New Mexico Highlands which is a Division II school. Several years ago, I re-call a specific situation where a player transferred from DII --> DI and he had to sit out for a year. Evidentially that's no longer the case.

Jacob Holland is a Grad Transfer!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:45 pm

titandave wrote:

I believe he already completed a four-year bachelor’s degree, hence NCAA rules provide for immediate eligibility.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Holland has D2 experience - we should call Wayne State and tell them the series is back on.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:12 pm

On the point about New Mexico St., NCT, it's true I didn't verify that. Someone had said New Mexico was on Holland's resume and I knew it wasn't the famed Lobo program. The Aggies of New Mexico State was an incorrect assumption. I think as an experienced player, Holland may score some and along with young Davis and McFolley could be the three principal options outside. Like so much about this coming year, we'll have to wait and see how it works out.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:36 pm

dennycrane wrote:On the point about New Mexico St., NCT, it's true I didn't verify that. Someone had said New Mexico was on Holland's resume and I knew it wasn't the famed Lobo program. The Aggies of New Mexico State was an incorrect assumption. I think as an experienced player, Holland may score some and along with young Davis and McFolley could be the three principal options outside. Like so much about this coming year, we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

Like I said, with a lot of guards on the roster I expect his value will be maturity, to teach the youngsters how to behave, to be some glue on the team. And as the year goes on I think Holland's time will diminish in favor of Davis/Knight/Moore as Coach builds for 2019-20. Just my thoughts. Maybe an assistant coach role in the future.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 am

It's funny how we all (including me) sometimes form opinions about recruits from what we read even though we have never seen the person play in a real game.

It's more important how these guys play together than how individually talented they are as long as each individual has enough talent to compete in D-1. Last year, we had a team full of good individuals. Only a few tried playing as a team.

With the NCAA having just granted some eligibility waivers to injured players from last year who also transferred, there is some hope that Curry could also get a waiver and be eligible this year. He would add some depth and muscle to the front line along with a 3-point shot.

Wonder if former Titan Dwayne Kelley is helping us get some of these players with ties to Pensacola.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:30 pm

ptctitan wrote:With the NCAA having just granted some eligibility waivers to injured players from last year who also transferred, there is some hope that Curry could also get a waiver and be eligible this year. He would add some depth and muscle to the front line along with a 3-point shot.

If Harrison Curry is eligible this season, I won't be surprised to see him in the starting line up at PF with Blackshear at Center.
titandave
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Maybe we keep JJJ and JB? Pretty much every university not already in session starts classes in the next few days.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Maybe we keep JJJ and JB? Pretty much every university not already in session starts classes in the next few days.

I'm hoping not. First we do not need them and second it is not good to have people wasting scholarships who do not want to be here or be a part of the team. They asked for permission to leave and I wish them well. They need to go. We need players who want to be here and want Davis as a coach.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:56 pm

I agree, but these are 19 year old kids. Young people can make bad decisions, especially when adults with egos or personal interests get involved. Also, they announced their leaving long before Davis was named coach. It’s certainly possible that JJ has cooled down by now and is looking at this purely as what is best for JJJ and JB. And it’s possible JJJ and JB realized they can’t find a school with 2 open scholarships that is interested. Add to that JJJ still has UDM all over his twitter. And that most schools start classes in 36 hours.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I agree, but these are 19 year old kids. Young people can make bad decisions, especially when adults with egos or personal interests get involved. Also, they announced their leaving long before Davis was named coach. It’s certainly possible that JJ has cooled down by now and is looking at this purely as what is best for JJJ and JB. And it’s possible JJJ and JB realized they can’t find a school with 2 open scholarships that is interested. Add to that JJJ still has UDM all over his twitter. And that most schools start classes in 36 hours.

Not good for the team to have guys around who do not want to be there and how much of a problem will they be if the do not start. I was a fan of JJJ and pulled hard for him but he and Jack shouldn't be tying up scholarships and rotting a team. If they felt they were better of leaving then they should leave. They more likely than not will be a cancer on the team. Not a good idea to have them around.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Good points. Maybe they put themselves on the market and saw limited options and now really DO want to be in the team though. I’m not even saying I really want them on the team. As a fan, I’d welcome them back. Really I’m just saying the entire thing is strange because most college students are moving in this weekend and JJJ and JB haven’t announced a new school. And I can’t think of why a MAC school or equivalent would wait to have them announce once school starts. It’s not like it’s LeBron and Bosch taking their talents to South Beach.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe there isn’t a team that wants them? Pretty sure Davis wants nothing to do with them. Even though they are 18-19 years old, they still are adults and are responsible for their decisions, even if their parents don’t provide proper guidance.

Best wishes for those two, but not with the Titans.
Titans96
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball