Antoine Davis

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Antoine Davis

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Antoine becomes the first true freshman to sweep both awards in the same week.

Isaiah Brock of Oakland did it; but he was about 24 years old when he did so after having served an enlisted tour in the Army.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Titans03 wrote:Rashad Philips posted some highlights of Antoine on Twitter and said he was the “best scorer in the country”. He also agreed with someone in the comments that Antoine should be a “One and Done” player.

Nooooooo :cry: . I love watching this guy play
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:14 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
Titans03 wrote:Rashad Philips posted some highlights of Antoine on Twitter and said he was the “best scorer in the country”. He also agreed with someone in the comments that Antoine should be a “One and Done” player.

Nooooooo :cry: . I love watching this guy play

Antoine is too frail to be a one and done, I can see him leaving no sooner than the end of his Jr. season.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm

At the end of tonight's coaches show, Coach Davis made a point to compliment the Titan fans saying they are the best that he's ever encountered.

He made a point of noting that Antoine does read "the board" and likes the fact that the posters are so positive about our Titans.

I would say that it's been such a long time for us to be positive about something. But I have a feeling about Coach Davis that even better things are coming over the next few years. When we adjusted our zone to start the 2nd half of the Loyola game and then blew them out while #0 went off for 42 points ... I have a feeling that historians of our program will look back at that moment as the turning point.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:01 pm

I have to pinch myself to not get overly excited because I did that once and Vitale quit and I did it again and Perry for whatever reason lost his touch. But it feels so good again to have a coach like this who has a stellar reputation and can get this program back to the national prominence it once had.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 pm

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ium=social

Sports Illustrated article about Antoine.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/12/12/detroit-mercy-titans-antoine-davis-father-mike-coach?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=si-ncaabb&utm_medium=social

Sports Illustrated article about Antoine.

Nice! Thanks for posting.
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:40 pm

https://detroittitans.com/news/2018/12/ ... -time.aspx

Fourth time as HL freshman of the week.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:59 pm

I love the fact that he’s challenging Steph Curry’s freshman 3 point record!
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:34 pm

I hope this translates into attendance.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:47 pm

NC Titan wrote:I hope this translates into attendance.

With us and OU off to good starts, hopefully the game on the 19th will be well attended. If our students/fans show up and we can get the win, it could be the medicine we need to really boost attendance moving forward.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:43 pm

+1 I was thinking the same thing.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm hoping beyond the Oakland games. I live near Davidson and the Curry phenomenon was quite palpable here, not just for the local rivalry game (UNC-Charlotte) but for all the games -- especially league games and the opportunity for the Wildcats to play in the NCAA tournament. I hope that the excitement of AD and a winning team brings out students and neighbors and basketball fans in Detroit.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:21 pm

I didn’t mean just high attendance for the OU games, I meant if we happen to win that game on the 19th with a huge crowd (partly to OU fan attendance), I could see a lot of UDM students coming back for the following games.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:08 pm

Agreeing with you that we agree, Tacitus. :D
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:50 am

we may well be off to a good start in the conference but i wouldnt call records of 5-9 and 6-9 a good start? just a reflection of how pedestrian the conference has become...
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:11 am

titanmac wrote:we may well be off to a good start in the conference but i wouldn't call records of 5-9 and 6-9 a good start? just a reflection of how pedestrian the conference has become...

The whole focus of Coach Davis is the conference because the HL is a single bid league. To him, a good non-conference record means little to nothing if his team does not peak for the conference and win the single bid to the NCAA tournament. That said, we do see better results this season. We have 5 wins over D-1 teams vs 2 at this time last season, just 1 at this time in 2016-17, and 4 at this time in 2015-16. We are allowing fewer points per game. Things are better so far. The end of the HL season in two months will tell us if things are good.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 am

ptc. so what? the coach's focus doesn't mean the conference is improving. just means that he was not born yesterday. we all already knew that.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:21 am

ptctitan wrote:
titanmac wrote:we may well be off to a good start in the conference but i wouldn't call records of 5-9 and 6-9 a good start? just a reflection of how pedestrian the conference has become...

The whole focus of Coach Davis is the conference because the HL is a single bid league. To him, a good non-conference record means little to nothing if his team does not peak for the conference and win the single bid to the NCAA tournament. That said, we do see better results this season. We have 5 wins over D-1 teams vs 2 at this time last season, just 1 at this time in 2016-17, and 4 at this time in 2015-16. We are allowing fewer points per game. Things are better so far. The end of the HL season in two months will tell us if things are good.

Well, in 2015-16 we had 7 D1 wins after 14 games, and were 9-5 overall after 14 games. I think the number of games played is a bit more realistic measurement than the date.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

titanmac wrote:ptc. so what? the coach's focus doesn't mean the conference is improving. just means that he was not born yesterday. we all already knew that.

then I misunderstood the point of your post since you emphasized the overall records.

Commissioner - just trying to take stock of where we are on New Year's Day 2019 compared to the prior 3 years. Yes, at this time in 2016, chances looked good for our Titans - even better after we started the HL 3-0 winning the first 3 games of a 5 game home stretch to start the conference. That 2015-16 season is also a lesson in how the team's fortunes can change abruptly. This season's team has a lot to prove. Results this season are far from guaranteed.
ptctitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball