Tom's Tavern owner dies

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Tom's Tavern owner dies

Postby uofdfan1983 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 am

I never went there with Reggie or anyone but here's the sad news, https://www.freep.com/story/news/column ... 710609002/
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Re: Tom's Tavern owner dies

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 am

The first time I ever met Reggie it was at Tom's Tavern. I hadn't gone to the UDM game that night, but he had and he showed up wearing Titan Red and of course was unmistakable. I went up to him and we chatted for a few minutes about the Titans, the type of friendly banter you can have at Tom's and with Titan fans.

As a UD Jesuit grad I've often found occasion to have a few Strohs at Tom's. I hope some one is able to take the operation over from Ron and get it reopened. It's such a unique place and community.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:07 am

I was fortunate or unfortunate to tend bar a couple of times at Tom's when Tom Lucas decided he had to leave in his old Ford Falcon to bet a horse at DRC. Spent a lot of evenings there when I was Ice Chairman, next door, at the old Detroit Skating Club. Has always been a special place. I was on my way to a UD game and met a buddy there. He left his car at the bank next door. When we met we noticed Tom had a fire and the back part of his building was burnt but he was still in the kitchen. By the time the game was over we came back to find the building had been rebuilt and had some of Tom's famous Chili.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:50 am

my all time favorite dive. what a wonderful place.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:11 pm

titanmac wrote:my all time favorite dive. what a wonderful place.

+1 Shared quite a few drinks there with Mac and Reg and others.

RIP to Ron.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 am

Loved Tom's. The beer helped me offset the vertigo I experienced from walking on the "level" floors. Or maybe it was the floor that helped me offset the buzz from the beer. Was the quintessential dive bar before dive bars became trendy.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 am

Sad, hidden gem. Went a few time after Titans games. Great atmosphere, music was good too!
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 am

some family members anticipate its reopening according to an article in crains?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball