12 Important Coaching Hires Since Last Season

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

12 Important Coaching Hires Since Last Season

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 pm

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-07-10/12-college-basketball-coaching-hires-you-may-have-missed

#8. Mike Davis, Detroit Titans (Note how well the branding is working at the NCAA)

Career head coaching record: 352-241 (.594)

Previous stops: Texas Southern (2012-18), UAB (2006-12), Indiana (2000-06)

Why it's significant: Mike Davis – yes, the Mike Davis that replaced Bob Knight and took Indiana to the 2002 national championship game, and more recently took Texas Southern to its fourth NCAA tournament in five years despite opening its season with 13 consecutive road games – is on the move again. After taking Texas Southern to heights it hadn't reached as a program, even with the challenges of playing in a one-bid league, Davis makes the jump to the Horizon League to lead a Detroit program that, like Texas Southern, has had limited success prior to Davis's arrival.

Detroit hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2012 and it's heard its called on Selection Sunday only once this millennium, so if Davis is able to replicate the conference titles and automatic bids his team earned at his last coaching stop, his tenure with the Titans will be considered a success.
ptctitan
Senior

Re: 12 Important Coaching Hires Since Last Season

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm

This article gives us independent confirmation that we hired a strong candidate. This is our best coaching hire since Perry Watson.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:32 pm

I would say that comment is as far from reasonable as possible. Although I am optimistic about Coach Davis, let's not crown him yet. We should at least have a long enough memory to remember the gushing prognostications by some of the pundits on this board when BA was announced as coach and not denigrate the accomplishments of Coach McCallum until Coach Davis surpasses them.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:19 am

I did not denigrate McCallum. I am basing my opinion on the following:

Mike Davis career record: 352-241/ .594 W/L Pct; 9 NCAA appearances; 5 NIT appearances; 4 years no post season tournament - 14 post season appearances in 18 yrs.
Ray McCallum career record: 170-149 / .533 W/L Pct; 2 NCAA appearances; 2 NIT appearances; 7 years no post season tournament - 4 post season appearances in 11 yrs.

I did not include McCallum's record at UD because I am comparing their records at the time of their hiring at UD. McCallum was no slouch but Davis is better. FWIW, at the time of his hiring BA was my 3rd choice.

Also, at the time we hired McCallum he was an assistant coach at Indiana, 4 years removed from his last HC job at Houston. My concern, at the time was he may be another retread similar to Rollie Massimino. In all my years UD always hired an assistant coach to fill a vacancy. Getting Davis to leave TX Southern was a pleasant surprise.

Perry Watson is at the top of my list because even though he was an assistant at Michigan and not a HC, he was and still is a Detroit PSL coaching legend.

I could go prior to Watson, but at this time I won't, perhaps, another day.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 am

I will agree that your comments are as reasonable as looking at pictures of two plates of food, one you have eaten and the other you have not. One may look better and even have better reviews, but until you put the food in your mouth, claiming that one is better than the other is a gamble, at best.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:09 am

StJoeUofD - TVOR is not comparing McCallum's performance here vs Davis without any record here. He's comparing McCallum at the time of his hire in 2008 versus Davis at the time of his hire in 2018. He specifically excluded McCallum's performance as coach here for that reason.

I agree with TVOR that on paper Davis is a better hire than Ray at the time the two hires were made. Davis has done well at every place he has coached. Ray did not perform well at Houston. Both coaches worked in Conference USA. From 2000-04, Ray's conference record at Houston was 24-40. Davis' C-USA conference record at UAB was 62-34 from 2006-12. This does not mean that Ray was a bad hire here at the time he was hired. On paper, Davis is better. And that's the only basis to judge the hires at the time they are made.

After the fact, whether any hire turns out to be a good one depends upon the team's performance under each coach. Ray's record here was 117-132, within it was a 66-72 record in the HL containing 3 winning HL seasons out of 8. Davis will be measured against those statistics as well as stats from prior Titan head coaches like Perry Watson. I hope that Davis' career record here turns out much better than Ray's and even better than Perry's.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:46 pm

ptctitan wrote:StJoeUofD - TVOR is not comparing McCallum's performance here vs Davis without any record here. He's comparing McCallum at the time of his hire in 2008 versus Davis at the time of his hire in 2018. He specifically excluded McCallum's performance as coach here for that reason.

I agree with TVOR that on paper Davis is a better hire than Ray at the time the two hires were made. Davis has done well at every place he has coached. Ray did not perform well at Houston. Both coaches worked in Conference USA. From 2000-04, Ray's conference record at Houston was 24-40. Davis' C-USA conference record at UAB was 62-34 from 2006-12. This does not mean that Ray was a bad hire here at the time he was hired. On paper, Davis is better. And that's the only basis to judge the hires at the time they are made.

After the fact, whether any hire turns out to be a good one depends upon the team's performance under each coach. Ray's record here was 117-132, within it was a 66-72 record in the HL containing 3 winning HL seasons out of 8. Davis will be measured against those statistics as well as stats from prior Titan head coaches like Perry Watson. I hope that Davis' career record here turns out much better than Ray's and even better than Perry's.

Ray's record at Detroit was 130-132. Some might also consider it misleading to say he had 3 winning HL seasons out of 8. That's true, but might imply 5 losing seasons--in fact, he had just 3 losing seasons in the league, and 2 .500 seasons. With those caveats, I pretty much agree with the rest of your post.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Ray's record at Detroit was 130-132.

Apparently, the Wikipedia entry for Ray only counts his D-1 wins. He was 130-132 in all games that counted. Thanks for pointing that fact out.

At the time of Ray's hire, in 11 seasons, he had posted 7 winning conference seasons, one .500 conference season, and 3 losing conference seasons. 63.6% of his conference seasons had winning records.

In 18 seasons, Davis has posted 14 winning conference records, one. 500 conference record, and 3 losing conference records. 77.7% of his conference seasons have resulted in winning records.

Ray was a good hire. Davis is even a better hire - subject to how our Titans perform over the coming years of his coaching tenure.
Last edited by ptctitan on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

It looks like I misunderstood the perspective of Reason. For that I apologize.

My perspective is that you should never call a hire a good one or a bad one until you have some results to measure. In my mind this hire is just a hire - not a good one or a bad one -- just one awaiting a validation with a measurable result.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball