Possible Non con

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Possible Non con

Postby ptctitan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:45 am

ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am

Kent State at Calihan now confirmed.

https://kentstatesports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=190
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Article from The Detroit News:

“College notes: Old Horizon League foes highlight UDM's nonconference schedule”

https://detne.ws/2KpSl9n
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:37 pm

It's an interesting schedule because after December 5th, we play only two games until after Christmas when the HL season starts.

There are 10 days off between the Toledo and the Ohio games. Then, we travel to Xavier on Dec.21. Lots of time for the players to study ahead of exams and lots of time for the coaching staff to implement changes based upon how we played in the 4 weeks ending December 5. I wonder if this was the plan.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm

We be antifragile.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:28 pm

I'll be pleased if we win 6 non conference games .... win all 4 home games and get 2 victories on the road.

11/6 @ Western Michigan
11/9 @ Temple
11/12 @ Butler
11/15 @ California
11/19 Loyola -Maryland
11/20 TBD
11/24 @ Eastern Michigan
11/28 Kent State
12/1 @ Akron
12/4 @ Dayton
12/5 @ Toledo
12/15 Ohio
12/21 @ Xavier
titandave
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:58 pm

titandave wrote:I'll be pleased if we win 6 non conference games .... win all 4 home games and get 2 victories on the road.

11/6 @ Western Michigan
11/9 @ Temple
11/12 @ Butler
11/15 @ California
11/19 Loyola -Maryland
11/20 TBD
11/24 @ Eastern Michigan
11/28 Kent State
12/1 @ Akron
12/4 @ Dayton
12/5 @ Toledo
12/15 Ohio
12/21 @ Xavier

I will be thrilled if we win 1 of the road games and two of the home games. From what we have so far i think it will be tough to win 8 games. I think if we win 9 or more we should give Davis a contract extension and a bonus.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:45 pm

IDK the HL should be pretty awful again this year. I would be disappointed with anything under 12 wins.
Titans03
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Titans03 wrote:IDK the HL should be pretty awful again this year. I would be disappointed with anything under 12 wins.

I think you had better be ready to be disappointed. We won 8 games the last two years playing a weaker schedule. Off of last years team we lost our top 3 in minutes played and 5 of top six in minutes played. We lost 7 of our top 8 in scoring average, our top 6 in rebound average per game, top 4 in assists per game and top 3 in 3pt. FG%. So we have close to no experience coming back and an entire team that needs to learn to play together. Because of the late start the recruiting is more difficult and picked over. Other teams have been together most of the summer working out and learning to play together. Our guys are going to need a program to find out who their teammates are and you expect a 50% improvement. We need to give Davis and his new staff a chance. Lets not mire them in false expectations.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Davis placed these expectations on himself by saying he needs 2 months to turn around the program and his goal is to make the tourney THIS year. His words, not mine.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 pm

The fact that UP thinks a 12 win season is some monumental task shows the state of our program at the moment. 12 wins!!
Titans03
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Titans03 wrote:The fact that UP thinks a 12 win season is some monumental task shows the state of our program at the moment. 12 wins!!

The moment you are talking about didn't just happen it arrived over two years ago. Some people know when they get hit by a truck others never know. It's nice to see you didn't feel the pain when BA was hired. I am thinking Davis did not know the extent of the damage that has been inflicted here. It is nice to see the confidence he has in his ability, but I think he is still trying to find the restroom and his parking space.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 am

With Coach Davis at the helm, we have to change our mindset about our W-L record. As long as the HL remains a 1-bid league, do not expect any wins in the non-conference schedule; but expect to win the HL and the HL tournament. As tacitus and I have exchanged posts on the term, an antifragile team. One that grows stronger from each failure in the non-con. There appears to be no team in the 2018-19 HL that we cannot beat in Calihan. Last year's soap opera team almost beat NKU here; and, had a chance to take Wright State until Chatman was injured.

upbasketballfan - in fairness, we did play a reasonably tough non-conference schedule last year. The average season-ending RPI of our non-con opponents was 126. We played 6 teams in the top 100 and 3 in the top 50. The average RPI of our HL opponents was 237. Our failure to improve vs the HL made me accept Vowels' decision to move on from that staff. In his first year at UAB, under similar circumstances, Davis was 7-9 in C-USA. I have no expectations about our team yet because I don't know exactly who will comprise the roster and how well they will play together. While I dream of a moose-like worst-to-first 34-0 record, realism tells me otherwise.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:58 am

I would recommend Antifragile to anyone wanting a glimpse inside coach’s philosophy. I’ll confess I only got half way through. The author does tend to repeat himself quite a bit, and some of his application is rather silly; notably his chapter on weightlifting.

All that said, I do like the way Davis applies the philosophy to college basketball. I don’t expect many non-con wins, but I’d point out some success Davis had recently: Ws over Rice and LaSalle in 16-17, Ws over K-State and Michigan State (25) in 14-15.

I certainly don’t expect non-con wins this season with our roster issues, but if Antoine develops and we get a good core, I could see us having an upset or two in the coming seasons.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am

ptctitan wrote:With Coach Davis at the helm, we have to change our mindset about our W-L record. As long as the HL remains a 1-bid league, do not expect any wins in the non-conference schedule; but expect to win the HL and the HL tournament. As tacitus and I have exchanged posts on the term, an antifragile team. One that grows stronger from each failure in the non-con. There appears to be no team in the 2018-19 HL that we cannot beat in Calihan. Last year's soap opera team almost beat NKU here; and, had a chance to take Wright State until Chatman was injured.

upbasketballfan - in fairness, we did play a reasonably tough non-conference schedule last year. The average season-ending RPI of our non-con opponents was 126. We played 6 teams in the top 100 and 3 in the top 50. The average RPI of our HL opponents was 237. Our failure to improve vs the HL made me accept Vowels' decision to move on from that staff. In his first year at UAB, under similar circumstances, Davis was 7-9 in C-USA. I have no expectations about our team yet because I don't know exactly who will comprise the roster and how well they will play together. While I dream of a moose-like worst-to-first 34-0 record, realism tells me otherwise.

Ptc I like that you always look at the half full side. Last year we played 4 teams that this year would be the 4 weakest on our schedule ( Houston Bap., Michigan Dearborn, Siena Hgts., and Ft. Wayne) with 3 of those contributing to our win column. This year it looks like our 2 weakest non-cons are Hampton and Loyola Maryland. Loyola M. had a won 9 last year, has a new coach , played a few good teams tough on the road, has more returning experience and should be the favorite against us. Hampton returns a lot from a 19 win season that saw them lose to ND in the NIT. So they will be favored over us. We could be the underdog in every game we play this season so my thinking is that to expect 12 upsets is unrealistic.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:56 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I would recommend Antifragile to anyone wanting a glimpse inside coach’s philosophy. I’ll confess I only got half way through. The author does tend to repeat himself quite a bit, and some of his application is rather silly; notably his chapter on weightlifting.

All that said, I do like the way Davis applies the philosophy to college basketball. I don’t expect many non-con wins, but I’d point out some success Davis had recently: Ws over Rice and LaSalle in 16-17, Ws over K-State and Michigan State (25) in 14-15.

I certainly don’t expect non-con wins this season with our roster issues, but if Antoine develops and we get a good core, I could see us having an upset or two in the coming seasons.

You don’t expect ANY non conference wins this season? Don’t we play 5 MAC teams and 2 games against Loyola-Maryland and Hampton/BGSU? I would hope win at least win a couple of those. The next few years it appears that we will only play P5 schools. Then I don’t expect any non conference wins. But this year? I would definetly be disappointed if we go 0-13.
Titans03
Senior

Postby TitanBen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:59 am

upbasketballfan wrote:
Titans03 wrote:The fact that UP thinks a 12 win season is some monumental task shows the state of our program at the moment. 12 wins!!

The moment you are talking about didn't just happen it arrived over two years ago. Some people know when they get hit by a truck others never know. It's nice to see you didn't feel the pain when BA was hired. I am thinking Davis did not know the extent of the damage that has been inflicted here. It is nice to see the confidence he has in his ability, but I think he is still trying to find the restroom and his parking space.

Up-I'd like to think that Coach Davis is a pretty smart man, knew where all the restrooms were, parked his car in his spot on his first visit, and already had watched a couple of game tapes to get a very good feel of the task ahead of him.
TitanBen
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am

TitanBen wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Up-I'd like to think that Coach Davis is a pretty smart man, knew where all the restrooms were, parked his car in his spot on his first visit, and already had watched a couple of game tapes to get a very good feel of the task ahead of him.

Ben I also think Coach Davis is a very smart man! I just think he was caught up in the moment, was thinking he was getting some transfers he didn't get and told us what we wanted to hear. I think he was trying to energize the fan base. This is not a sin and we shouldn't hold his feet to the coals. I think he will do a great job for us. I consider myself a realist but here I am a Titan fan for over 50 years. Maybe I am a dreamer after all. Even though I am 500 miles away and do not expect a lot of wins I did repurchase my season tickets and do look forward to a maximum effort from our team under coach Davis. I am looking forward to them sharing the ball and playing smart. By my comments I am trying to temper the expectations as I have already witnessed how fickle our fan base is. I am a little surprised that there aren't a few out there expecting 20 wins and then coming up with all kinds of excuses, if we lose 2 in a row, as to why they can't make it to Calihan to help our teams win.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 am

i expect 20 wins!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball