Rod Strickland

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Rod Strickland

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:16 am

I've seen this hinted at on twitter (in fact one tweet said it has/is happening), but without sources I consider legitimate, so I didn't want to post it and after looking into it a bit, it seemed false. He was a long time assistant at USF, so I guess it's possible. You posting that it is possibly happening gives it some credence..
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 am

Fantastic credentials for an assistant at a mid-major program. This article from 2010 speculated that Strickland might be a possible head coach option for DePaul:

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2010/02/isiah ... aul-coach/

He has an estimated net worth of $32 million according to one web source, so he wouldn’t be coming to Motown just for a paycheck.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:01 am

Strickland would be a really good get. Would be a fantastic coach to help develop the guards. I know Sam will probably love this Depaul Alum plus if by some unforeseen event we actually get his son Tai, we might be getting a coach's son who knows how to pass and share the basketball.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:25 am

Pretty soon, when looking at our historic total, we are going to have had more coach’s kids on our roster than OU has had criminals. This is first I’ve heard of this. Tempting, though. If Tai has been taking a summer class in Madison it would be very problematic to get him here.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Pretty soon, when looking at our historic total, we are going to have had more coach’s kids on our roster than OU has had criminals. This is first I’ve heard of this. Tempting, though. If Tai has been taking a summer class in Madison it would be very problematic to get him here.

Agreed, my only adding it to the mix was just to say it is although unlikely, a possibility. If Wisconsin is awful in the next couple years etc..
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 am

According to Verbal Commits Strickland has only VC'd to Wisconsin . They do not show a LOI. He is behind the two starting PG's from last year one being Davison who actually is more of a SG but likes to play a lot at the top of the key. Davison baring injury will be on the floor for a lot of minutes over the next three years. Strickland's recruiter was Howard Moore of UIC fame who is a Wisconsin Alum. Not sure Greg Gard will ever come close to being the coach that Bo Ryan was. Ryan never had a bad losing or close to .500 season while at Wisconsin. Gard had a losing season his second season once Ryan's influence was gone and it looks like they have a hard time getting good bigs. We know Moore could recruit at UIC but never showed he could coach so my guess is Wisconsin will come up short under this crew and Gard will not get another two years. Davison is a really tough player but I do not think he can carry them.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 am

upbasketballfan wrote:According to Verbal Commits Strickland has only VC'd to Wisconsin . They do not show a LOI. He is behind the two starting PG's from last year one being Davison who actually is more of a SG but likes to play a lot at the top of the key. Davison baring injury will be on the floor for a lot of minutes over the next three years. Strickland's recruiter was Howard Moore of UIC fame who is a Wisconsin Alum. Not sure Greg Gard will ever come close to being the coach that Bo Ryan was. Ryan never had a bad losing or close to .500 season while at Wisconsin. Gard had a losing season his second season once Ryan's influence was gone and it looks like they have a hard time getting good bigs. We know Moore could recruit at UIC but never showed he could coach so my guess is Wisconsin will come up short under this crew and Gard will not get another two years. Davison is a really tough player but I do not think he can carry them.

From the espn article TitanMike references above (plus the headline says "signs with Wisconsin"):

Six-foot-2 guard Tai Strickland and 7-foot center Joe Hedstrom signed letters of intent on Wednesday. They will be eligible starting this fall, joining November signee Taylor Currie.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23119392/wisconsin-badgers-sign-tai-strickland-son-former-nba-guard
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:23 am

upbasketballfan wrote:According to Verbal Commits Strickland has only VC'd to Wisconsin . They do not show a LOI.

Verbal Commits is usually reliable, but in this case multiple press reports are very specific that Strickland signed a LOI with Wisconsin. So he'd need a release to avoid sitting a year, whether he's attended summer school or not; and if he's attended summer school, he'll almost certainly have to sit a year. Having said that, redshirting a year for a relatively late bloomer like Strickland isn't the end of the world.

As Tacitus says, we've had a lot of coaches kids around lately. That's good and bad, but increasingly seems the only way mid-majors can get 3 star recruits anymore.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 am

I 100% trust coach Davis. The idea of having two coach’s kids on the roster scares me though. Seems to me there is nothing to indicate Tai would follow his dad for an assistant position, and we shouldn’t be offended if he doesn’t.

If we get Tai now or in the future, then great. We have a good coach with a solid record, and Antoine will attract good players as well. We don’t need a team full of 3 stars. We need one or two of those guys, additional guys who work hard, and a system.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:51 am

Commissioner wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:According to Verbal Commits Strickland has only VC'd to Wisconsin . They do not show a LOI.

Verbal Commits is usually reliable, but in this case multiple press reports are very specific that Strickland signed a LOI with Wisconsin. So he'd need a release to avoid sitting a year, whether he's attended summer school or not; and if he's attended summer school, he'll almost certainly have to sit a year. Having said that, redshirting a year for a relatively late bloomer like Strickland isn't the end of the world.

As Tacitus says, we've had a lot of coaches kids around lately. That's good and bad, but increasingly seems the only way mid-majors can get 3 star recruits anymore.

My miss on the April signing. If Strickland is on campus in Madison, it will be hard to leave. Madison is a beautiful spot and in my opinion one of the nicest in the country. As to coach's sons like I said Tai seems to want to create and share the ball. I think a very nice player. I have watched all the film I can find on A. Davis and he is a great shooter but I can not find much on him dishing so I do not know what kind of table setter he will be he kind of reminds me of a small A. Wilson. I always remember Wilson getting on a hot streak and then the ball never going in his direction again. I think a player like Strickland might make Davis a prolific scorer.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Moving back to the Dad, not the son, who is the subject of this thread, he seems like a good hire. Lost of experience, both as a player and as a coach. Good get if it's true.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball