Will the real UDM please stand up?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Will the real UDM please stand up?

Postby Titan Jim » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Turns out there is a Divine Mercy University in Arlington, Virginia. (OK, it's not really UDM, but DMU. But, that's OK, because I tend to be a little dyslexic.) The branding nightmare just keeps getting worse and worse! :o :shock: :)
Titan Jim
Senior

Re: Will the real UDM please stand up?

Postby NC Titan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah, because Divine Mercy is in the headlines all the time. We are always getting mixed up with them.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 pm

i think the u needs to revisit this. garibaldi needs to appoint a search committee of concerned impartial alumni to review the circumstances, hire a consultant and make recommendations to the president. i think a strong objective committee would be tacitus, titan mike, t buysse and....oh, i dunno....me! that ought to end this matter once and for all?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah, let's beat this dead horse some more.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm

OK, I posted this as a joke. You guys need to lighten up.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Titan Jim wrote:OK, I posted this as a joke. You guys need to lighten up.
Titan Jim wrote:OK, I posted this as a joke. You guys need to lighten up.

+2
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 am

NC Titan wrote:Yeah, let's beat this dead horse some more.

Dead? Well at least PETA wouldn't be on our case.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:56 am

Does DMU have a College of Direct Messaging? :roll:
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:47 pm

hah! old friend. so long as uofd grads live, and maybe even longer, the dead horse will be beaten ‘til just maybe it arises from the ashes like pegasus! ( or was that a phoenix?) nevermind either way it aint goin anywhere....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:19 am

Will we go back to University of Detroit or move to a better conference first?

Even odds, both being 1 in 1,000,000,000.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 am

The formal name of the university should remain University of Detroit Mercy.

When our teams play, they should use the name "Detroit." Not only is this the 100+ year old heritage of the institution at the main campus location where Mercy chose to relocate, but also it avoids confusion among those many people who do not live in metro Detroit area and are unfamiliar with the merger. A lot of those people think "Detroit Mercy" refers to the Mercy university located in Detroit instead of a combined entity consisting of the former University of Detroit and the former Mercy College of Detroit. The obstinate insistence to add Mercy to the athletic teams' names without a hyphen creates at least as much misinformation as the re-branding effort sought to correct.

I realize that the experts sought to rebrand the school name in the same way that Loyola of LA and Marymount were rebranded as Loyola Marymount and LMU after their merger. But Loyola is not the name of the city in which the university is located. Thus, the name itself, when seen in a sports section, does not cause other people to think that Marymount played Gonzaga and that Loyola has ceased to exist. If the smart people involved in this naming mess cannot see this issue, then, at least, insert a hyphen between Detroit and Mercy so that less people unfamiliar with the school do not continue to mistake the school as the Mercy university located in Detroit.

This is no different than the State of Rhode Island being called Rhode Island even though its formal name is the "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations."
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 am

FWIW, this is the official guidance on branding:

“As a reminder in application, on second reference, the University will be referred to as Detroit Mercy; the use of acronyms, including "UDM" or "DM," is not acceptable. Failure to properly use our brand guidelines dilutes the Detroit Mercy identity in the marketplace, creates confusion with prospective students, shows a lack of consistency in brand awareness throughout the institution and can lead to poor representation in media coverage.”

FWIW, at least two Twitter messages I received from the school in the last hour don’t adhere to this policy, and this is an everyday (pretty much every hour) occurrence.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:23 am

If we would just merge with Providence College and move the campus out to the countryside, we could be the University of Detroit Mercy and Providence Plantations.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:24 am

Sadly, I don’t think the inconsistency or confusion will ever end. I personally don’t mind when the older alumni refer to us as U of D, especially on the message board. But, having new recruits tweet they are committed to “The University of Detroit” is very problematic. I don’t understand how some people fail to see how that hurts the branding of the university. Again, not tweeting about playing for the “Detroit Titans” - that might be a mistake that could be understood given the recent rebrand of athletics.

As Rogo has posted, the University is still committed to the rebrand and calls for consistency while still making its own share of rebrand fails. We missed a golden opportunity in NOT going back to UD two years ago. It seems only fair to me that if some alumni (mostly older ones) can insist on calling us UD, that others can point out the continuous fail of the rebrand and push to actually change the name back.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am

Good one Commissioner.

tacitus - as an older alumnus, I get angry when someone tells me, "Sorry to hear that your college closed." Because they see Detroit Mercy in the sports scores.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:04 pm

ptctitan wrote:Good one Commissioner.

tacitus - as an older alumnus, I get angry when someone tells me, "Sorry to hear that your college closed." Because they see Detroit Mercy in the sports scores.

There will always be confusion Missouri State University, Montana State University, Michigan State University, Mississipi State University, Moscow State University.

MSU doesn't support athletics (Moscow State University)
MSU lost to South Dakota State last year in football ( Montana State University)

Yeah we are only one with naming issues, every school has issues, we just have a much bigger hurdle to overcome and if enough people continue to refer to us as UofD maybe we will go back, or maybe in some distant future not many alums from UofD and Mercy College are around and students call us UDM, Detroit Mercy or something else and the school has some opportunity to change that or keep the branding. At the end of the day it would be a slap in the face to the administrators and alums that graduated from Mercy College to wipe away their history, because the merger negotiations indicated it was supposed to be an equal institution supported both by Sisters of Mercy and Jesuits.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Honest question for you guys, how many signatures would a change.org petition (addressed to Unuversity Trustees) asking to go back to UD get?
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 pm

ptctitan wrote:The formal name of the university should remain University of Detroit Mercy.

When our teams play, they should use the name "Detroit." Not only is this the 100+ year old heritage of the institution at the main campus location where Mercy chose to relocate, but also it avoids confusion among those many people who do not live in metro Detroit area and are unfamiliar with the merger. A lot of those people think "Detroit Mercy" refers to the Mercy university located in Detroit instead of a combined entity consisting of the former University of Detroit and the former Mercy College of Detroit. The obstinate insistence to add Mercy to the athletic teams' names without a hyphen creates at least as much misinformation as the re-branding effort sought to correct.

I realize that the experts sought to rebrand the school name in the same way that Loyola of LA and Marymount were rebranded as Loyola Marymount and LMU after their merger. But Loyola is not the name of the city in which the university is located. Thus, the name itself, when seen in a sports section, does not cause other people to think that Marymount played Gonzaga and that Loyola has ceased to exist. If the smart people involved in this naming mess cannot see this issue, then, at least, insert a hyphen between Detroit and Mercy so that less people unfamiliar with the school do not continue to mistake the school as the Mercy university located in Detroit.

This is no different than the State of Rhode Island being called Rhode Island even though its formal name is the "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations."

No
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm

DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:

There will always be confusion Missouri State University, Montana State University, Michigan State University, Mississipi State University, Moscow State University.

MSU lost to South Dakota State last year in football ( Montana State University)

Yeah we are only one with naming issues, every school has issues, we just have a much bigger hurdle to overcome and if enough people continue to refer to us as UofD maybe we will go back, or maybe in some distant future not many alums from UofD and Mercy College are around and students call us UDM, Detroit Mercy or something else and the school has some opportunity to change that or keep the branding. At the end of the day it would be a slap in the face to the administrators and alums that graduated from Mercy College to wipe away their history, because the merger negotiations indicated it was supposed to be an equal institution supported both by Sisters of Mercy and Jesuits.

Slap in the face to Detroit Mercy grads? I don't think so. Is it a slap in the face of Mercy Grads to have Detroit in the name? If I were a betting man and a poll was taken of graduates of the three schools, University of Detroit/University of Detroit Mercy, Mercy...we all know who the winner would be.
titanmike
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 pm

titanmike wrote:
DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:

Slap in the face to Detroit Mercy grads? I don't think so. Is it a slap in the face of Mercy Grads to have Detroit in the name? If I were a betting man and a poll was taken of graduates of the three schools, University of Detroit/University of Detroit Mercy, Mercy...we all know who the winner would be.

And TitanMike drops the microphone and walks off stage to end this debate once and for all...........
77-85Titan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball