Madonna University is adding football

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Madonna University is adding football

Postby Titan Jim » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

I saw a story on Channel 4 the other night that Madonna University is adding football. You would think that if they can support football, we should be able to, as well.
Titan Jim
Senior

Re: Madonna University is adding football

Postby Commissioner » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Madonna v. Mercy in football. Hoo!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:42 pm

At what level are they adding a team? UofD had club football when I was there and it wasn't supported much by students or alumni.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am

A lot of these NAIA schools are adding sports like crazy. Madonna is in a conference with LTU, Aquinas, Concordia, Siena Heights, U of M Dearborn, Rochester to name a few. Madonna, LTU and Concordia added lacrosse in the past few years and it is very popular at Madonna and LTU and they have done well. I see a lot of high school kids, who would never have considering continuing to play sports in college, consider and go to these schools because they can play some more, get some athletic scholarships, and get a decent education. They are drawing a lot of students they would not have otherwise drawn.

With the closing of Ladywood, Madonna has more classrooms available and less competition for athletic fields. They have a turf field, but I do not believe they have enough stands for football (ala UofD for lacrosse).

We will see how this works for them financially in the long run, but they are committing to athletics while we do not seem to be nearly as much. Seems like it could be a gamble, like the talk about adding club football at UofD. It may bring in 60-80 tuition playing students, but would it pay for itself and the new improvements that would need to be made.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 am

this was "that woman's" plan along with some support internally from another adminstrator now gone. i thought it was a great concept at the time. the idea was to join the patriot league which would keep costs in control. other idea's floated included a new stadium (meaning improving the existing sports field) to be jointly shared with the high school. it kinda caved in on itself with the scandal.....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball