Darrell Riley

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Darrell Riley

Postby HSScout1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 am

A new commit - JUCO PG Darrell Riley Jr, who decommited from Chicago St (5'9" 155# originally from Milwaukee) attended Williston State College last season averaging 15.4 ppg, 5.1 apg, 3.5 rpg

https://twitter.com/scudvr/status/1028425490833580032

A story about Riley. He was a redshirt sophomore last season. I don't believe he played anywhere in 15-16 (he wasn't on Mississippi Valley State's roster). In the 2016-17 season as a Freshman, Riley appeared in 25 games for the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils in the SWAC. He posted an average of 9.0 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. Riley shot 35.3% from the floor and 43.5% from three point range on the year.

https://collegecourtreport.com/2018/06/25/point-guard-darrell-riley-jr-commits-to-chicago-state/
HSScout1
Senior

Re: Darrell Riley

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Looks solid. We need a 1 that can feed McFolley and Davis and not make too many mistakes. Plus, he got the name of our school correct, so he’s already one of my favorite players.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 pm

His tweet pretty much confirms that Tracy Dildy is a new assistant coach.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

ptctitan wrote:His tweet pretty much confirms that Tracy Dildy is a new assistant coach.

He signed with Chicago State after Dildy was gone according to their site.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:15 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:He signed with Chicago State after Dildy was gone according to their site.

In his tweet announcing his commitment to us, he thanked Coach Davis and Coach Tracy.

He verbally committed to Chicago State the first time just before Coach Dildy was fired as HC and AD there. He then again verbally committed to Chi State in the summer while there was still no coach there. Then, over the weekend, he decommitted from Chi State and committed to us.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Welcome! This looks like a decent get. However, I hope we don’t continue raiding Chicago State’s recruits. We’re much, much better than that.
Titans03
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Titans03 wrote:Welcome! This looks like a decent get. However, I hope we don’t continue raiding Chicago State’s recruits. We’re much, much better than that.

+1, the previous regime proved that you cant win in the Horizon League with D2 talent.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Davis had ten or so roster spots to fill and got just about the latest start of any coach in D1. By necessity a lot of the guys added this summer are not going to be top tier recruits. Riley was perhaps CSU’s best recruit, and now he adds depth at PG for the Titans’ next two seasons. I’ll be rooting him on and glad he’s apparently excited about coming to Detroit. Once the new staff gets acclimated to the school and area, I think the November early recruiting class will be a better measure of things to come.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Titans03 wrote:Welcome! This looks like a decent get. However, I hope we don’t continue raiding Chicago State’s recruits. We’re much, much better than that.

+1, the previous regime proved that you cant win in the Horizon League with D2 talent.

No no no, RB. The previous regime had plenty of D-I talent. Kam Chatman was a top 100 recruit out of high school, and last year was a 2nd team All-Horizon player. Jaleel Hogan was a second team all-Horizon player. Jared Williams, Corey Allen, Josh McFolley, and Jermaine Jackson, Jr. all made Horizon all-freshman teams. Jack Ballantyne had good A10 and offers and an offer from Boston College. Chris Jenkins originally signed with Colorado and was a very solid mid-major player. Roschon Prince, who originally signed with Southern Cal, was an Honorable Mention All-Conference player in the Big West--he could play. Allen, McFolley, Jackson, Hogan, and Aaron Foster-Smith were all in the top 10 in their high school class in Michigan, and Ballantyne and Gerald Blackshear just outside the top 10.

The previous regime inherited plenty of D-1 talent and recruited more--it just couldn't figure out how to accomplish anything with it. But there was no shortage of talent at Calihan the past two years. That's what made it all so frustrating.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 am

Commissioner wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:

No no no, RB. The previous regime had plenty of D-I talent. Kam Chatman was a top 100 recruit out of high school, and last year was a 2nd team All-Horizon player. Jaleel Hogan was a second team all-Horizon player. Jared Williams, Corey Allen, Josh McFolley, and Jermaine Jackson, Jr. all made Horizon all-freshman teams. Jack Ballantyne had good A10 and offers and an offer from Boston College. Chris Jenkins originally signed with Colorado and was a very solid mid-major player. Roschon Prince, who originally signed with Southern Cal, was an Honorable Mention All-Conference player in the Big West--he could play. Allen, McFolley, Jackson, Hogan, and Aaron Foster-Smith were all in the top 10 in their high school class in Michigan, and Ballantyne and Gerald Blackshear just outside the top 10.

The previous regime inherited plenty of D-1 talent and recruited more--it just couldn't figure out how to accomplish anything with it. But there was no shortage of talent at Calihan the past two years. That's what made it all so frustrating.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Commissioner wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:

Exellent analysis I guess we did have talent on the roster the past two seasons. Bad coaching and bad chemistry=a new basketball coaching staff.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Davis had ten or so roster spots to fill and got just about the latest start of any coach in D1. By necessity a lot of the guys added this summer are not going to be top tier recruits. Riley was perhaps CSU’s best recruit, and now he adds depth at PG for the Titans’ next two seasons. I’ll be rooting him on and glad he’s apparently excited about coming to Detroit. Once the new staff gets acclimated to the school and area, I think the November early recruiting class will be a better measure of things to come.

Although not 'top tier' recruits, I believe the five listed will make solid contributions. The sixth recruit (Jarred Rosser), I have in the 'to be determined' category.

Harrison Curry
Jacob Holland
Darrell Riley Jr.
Tra'Quan Knight
Antoine Davis
titandave
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 pm

titandave wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Davis had ten or so roster spots to fill and got just about the latest start of any coach in D1. By necessity a lot of the guys added this summer are not going to be top tier recruits. Riley was perhaps CSU’s best recruit, and now he adds depth at PG for the Titans’ next two seasons. I’ll be rooting him on and glad he’s apparently excited about coming to Detroit. Once the new staff gets acclimated to the school and area, I think the November early recruiting class will be a better measure of things to come.

Although not 'top tier' recruits, I believe the five listed will make solid contributions. The sixth recruit (Jarred Rosser), I have in the 'to be determined' category.

Harrison Curry
Jacob Holland
Darrell Riley Jr.
Tra'Quan Knight
Antoine Davis

I'm not saying we're going to win 20 games this year, but I think we're going to win more than the media (and members on this board) think we are. I think anywhere from 12-16 wins is definitely in play.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Darrell Riley tweeted something yesterday about being eligible to play beginning the Xavier game. Looks like academic eligibility may be an issue for the current semester, but he’ll be on the court in a few weeks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 am

Does anyone know if guys in that situation can practice with the team even when ineligible to play in the games? Or will he be starting from scratch once his eligibility comes through?
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 am

He has been practicing with the team all semester. He's ready to go.
ptctitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball