Tennis Gone

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Tennis Gone

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:57 pm

DETROIT (8/31/2018) -- Following a comprehensive analysis by University of Detroit Mercy's Athletics Department, the University will eliminate men's and women's tennis at the end of the 2018-2019 season. Thus, the University's total sports sponsorship will become 17 from 19 Division I teams.
Big Chuck
Senior

Re: Tennis Gone

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Too bad. I feel bad for the student athletes caught up in this. Mostly, for the tennis players that just started as freshmen. Hard to believe the analysis was not completed last month when kids could have conceivably made a last minute switch and went somewhere else. The timing sucks.

We need to field 14 teams to be D1. The other sports we field are relatively low cost. Except LAX. But LAX is super popular and becoming more so. Hopefully no more programs cut.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:37 pm

From the Athletics website:

Detroit Mercy will give all tennis players the opportunity to contact other schools for the purpose of transfer. The University will also release any national letter of intent signee who wishes to pursue other intercollegiate athletic opportunities. In addition, Detroit Mercy will honor all national letters of intent and scholarships for those students impacted by this difficult decision who wish to continue their studies at the University.

Seven men, eight women. Only two of them are freshmen, both are on the men’s team.

The only senior on the men’s team is also the only one from the United States; none of the eight women are from the United States, and two of them are seniors.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 pm

This is SAD and make a certain individual unhappy. This person played Tennis for UD in the 80’s, under Coach Earl Clark Jr.. he was a punishing left hander who ruled the MCC with an iron wrist.

They called him “The Dude”...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 am

Uh, oh - I take it the enrollment numbers did not meet objectives even with the tuition reduction.

What might be next to get cut? When will something ever get added (women’s volleyball)? Is the University on the verge of folding?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:54 am

The-Dude wrote:This person played Tennis for UD in the 80’s, under Coach Earl Clark Jr.

Was this Dutch Clark's son?
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:00 am

Yes. He was the son of Hall of Famer Earl "Dutch" Clark.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:00 am

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Uh, oh - I take it the enrollment numbers did not meet objectives even with the tuition reduction.

What might be next to get cut? When will something ever get added (women’s volleyball)? Is the University on the verge of folding?

If the program is attracting only players from Europe, does it fit in the goals and designed of the Athletics program?
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:02 am

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Uh, oh - I take it the enrollment numbers did not meet objectives even with the tuition reduction.

A year ago at the convocation, Garabaldi discussed several cost cutting measures that were in the works. One major one was faculty/staff reductions with buyouts. Another initiative mentioned was that he tasked the AD to come up with a plan to trim some costs from Athletics. I assume cutting tennis is part of all that, in the works for months, and not directly tied to any Fall of 2018 enrollment numbers. I thought fencing might be on the chopping block since it is not a Horizon League sport, and perhaps it could be the next to go. All that said, I think there is still a firm commitment to D-1, but doubt that adding new sports is in the cards for the foreseeable future.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:

A year ago at the convocation, Garabaldi discussed several cost cutting measures that were in the works. One major one was faculty/staff reductions with buyouts. Another initiative mentioned was that he tasked the AD to come up with a plan to trim some costs from Athletics. I assume cutting tennis is part of all that, in the works for months, and not directly tied to any Fall of 2018 enrollment numbers. I thought fencing might be on the chopping block since it is not a Horizon League sport, and perhaps it could be the next to go. All that said, I think there is still a firm commitment to D-1, but doubt that adding new sports is in the cards for the foreseeable future.

I would hate to see us cut fencing, if only because we DO have a national title in our history.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/hbs-pro ... years.html

Clayton Christensen doubling down on his claim that half of the private schools will be bankrupt in 15 years. Sadly, I think he’s right (or, very close).

I don’t think cutting Tennis is a sign UDM is doomed. I see it as the law school story told to 1Ls about being stranded in the jungle with two friends and then seeing a lion. You don’t need to outrun the lion, but you better outrun at least one of your friends. Marygrove is pretty much dead. Madonna has less cash and recognition than we do. UDM can carve out a space as the private university in SE Michigan if it doesn’t make too many mistakes.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm

ptctitan wrote:Yes. He was the son of Hall of Famer Earl "Dutch" Clark.

Yeah, he was as PTC indicated. Coach C also coached Track at the same time and coached the likes of Coach Guy Murray during that time. He was a great Coach.

After practice, he would ALWAYS come up to me and tell me that I was one of the best lafthanders on the team. Now, there were only two lefthanders on our team but that’s another story. He once offered to buy me a replacement Sony Walkman Cassette Player when I smashed it during practice. He even let me where baggy shorts before they were popular...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 pm

At the Titan Club meeting this week Athletics said that it did not plan on cutting any other sports.
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:01 am

Tacitus651 wrote: Madonna has less cash and recognition than we do. UDM can carve out a space as the private university in SE Michigan if it doesn’t make too many mistakes.

With a kid in high school and his friends looking at colleges I hear Madonnas name coming up a lot more than it used to, and it has, at least a little, to do with its expansion of athletics. They know someone playing sports their and the think of it as an option even if they don't play. It's becoming more like a regular 4 year commuter college and not a specialty college. I can't say it will make more money by adding sports but more students seem to be considering it, which can't be bad. On the other hand, I hear few of my kid's friends mention UofD. :cry:
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:19 am

ExcitedTitan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote: Madonna has less cash and recognition than we do. UDM can carve out a space as the private university in SE Michigan if it doesn’t make too many mistakes.

With a kid in high school and his friends looking at colleges I hear Madonnas name coming up a lot more than it used to, and it has, at least a little, to do with its expansion of athletics. They know someone playing sports their and the think of it as an option even if they don't play. It's becoming more like a regular 4 year commuter college and not a specialty college. I can't say it will make more money by adding sports but more students seem to be considering it, which can't be bad. On the other hand, I hear few of my kid's friends mention UofD. :cry:

Interesting. I no longer live in the area so you’d certainly know better than I would. I do think half the private schools in this country go under in the next two decades. As for SE Michigan, it will be interesting to see if the Catholics each go down swinging or merge before the finances get too out of hand. I wouldn’t be surprised if Siena Heights needed to make a drastic decision within the next few years.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Bad, bad, bad move. I just saw a fantastic and entertaining event. Sports is a huge fabric of our culture, eliminating them hurts the academic experience and many of the real world experiences that young people encounter on a day to day basis.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/2 ... a-williams

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCm3BemDl ... 29ZCekPW0g
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball