Which player will most play above expectations?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Davis
20%
Holland
No votes
Isiani
20%
Knight
10%
Moore
10%
Nguidjol
10%
Hamrick
10%
King
20%
Brandon
No votes

Total votes : 10

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:00 pm

By this question, I mean, who will be the biggest positive surprise? I left off the walk-on players with the exception of Davis because of the polling limit. Also left out Curry because it’s doubtful he will be eligible this season.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:41 pm

I think Bo Nguidjoi will be the surprise player next season.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm

I almost voted for Bo myself. I voted for Davis. Obviously there’s a high degree of subjectivity with a question like this because there’s no defined consensus as to the expectations of any player. I think Davis will over perform, even for a 3 star recruit.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

seems coach was impressed with Isiani's shooting ability and work ethic, talked quite a bit about him during the luncheon.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:50 pm

If a majority think someone will play above expectations, and he does, isn't he merely meeting expectations?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:06 pm

I took coach Davis to his word and watched the team practice. This entire team will surprise everyone who doesn’t believe this team will be on the top of the Horizon League by the end of the season. Welcome to the University of Davis, Mike (UDM). Never saw a UDM team run so hard in a game and this was just practice. If you have some free time I suggest you go and watch the team practice at 3:30. This team looks close to being able to run the Horizon League out of the City of Detroit.

Davis was my pick but I cheated ;)

P.S. there is a reason why certain players left this season and the answer is they couldn’t hang on this squad.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Where is McFolley's name?
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 pm

MotownTitan wrote:Where is McFolley's name?

Poll is for new players.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Commissioner wrote:If a majority think someone will play above expectations, and he does, isn't he merely meeting expectations?

It's difficult to argue with this logic, Commish.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:I took coach Davis to his word and watched the team practice. This entire team will surprise everyone who doesn’t believe this team will be on the top of the Horizon League by the end of the season. Welcome to the University of Davis, Mike (UDM). Never saw a UDM team run so hard in a game and this was just practice. If you have some free time I suggest you go and watch the team practice at 3:30. This team looks close to being able to run the Horizon League out of the City of Detroit.

P.S. there is a reason why certain players left this season and the answer is they couldn’t hang on this squad.

I agree. Just based on some of our players conditioning last season, I don't think they would want to play for Davis...

High praise indeed concerning the team - I was hoping for a .500 season & I thought I was being optimistic. You have peaked my interest and I look forward to hearing more and seeing this team play.

BTW - I voted for King, the guy I believe was mistaken for Eichler. He wasn't even on our radar as a member of the team a week ago. He is older and experienced as a grad student, has started games at Washington State and as a JUCO a few years ago was named the 2nd best JUCO player in California by 247Sports
HSScout1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:00 pm

I watched a practice last week, and Davis and Isiani were deadly shots. They didn't miss from distance.

Gjysma was my favorite to watch. He is a bull, not much finesse, but he has a very soft touch around the basket. And I expect if he gets to play he can rebound well.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:22 pm

HSScout1 wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:I took coach Davis to his word and watched the team practice. This entire team will surprise everyone who doesn’t believe this team will be on the top of the Horizon League by the end of the season. Welcome to the University of Davis, Mike (UDM). Never saw a UDM team run so hard in a game and this was just practice. If you have some free time I suggest you go and watch the team practice at 3:30. This team looks close to being able to run the Horizon League out of the City of Detroit.

I agree. Just based on some of our players conditioning last season, I don't think they would want to play for Davis...

High praise indeed concerning the team - I was hoping for a .500 season & I thought I was being optimistic. You have peaked my interest and I look forward to hearing more and seeing this team play.

BTW - I voted for King, the guy I believe was mistaken for Eichler. He wasn't even on our radar as a member of the team a week ago. He is older and experienced as a grad student, has started games at Washington State and as a JUCO a few years ago was named the 2nd best JUCO player in California by 247Sports

Likewise, I voted for Derrien King; he has an interesting bio .... Santa Monica College, Washington State, & Angelo State. The 2nd best JUCO player in California certainly got my attention.
titandave
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm going with Tra'Quan Knight because he lived in Genoa for a year, so he probably makes a mean pesto sauce, and speaks at least un poco italiano, which is as gooda reason as any of you have, since none of us have seen any of these guys play! And he's a 6'3 guard who shot 55% from the field. Torched Wallace State CC for 27!

He also had the courage to wear these pants!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2310177659008810&set=a.448898831803378&type=3&theater
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby HoopLove247 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 am

I'm voting for Hamrick his game looks well rounded. His highlights look interesting.
HoopLove247
Sophmore

Return to Men's Basketball