Game 4: California here we (don’t) come

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Game 4: California here we (don’t) come

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 am

Thought I would start a thread on the Titans’ next game with this preview from the Cal fan site:

https://bearinsider.com/s/992/bears-fac ... n-berkeley

(As an added bonus, the article also gives a scouting report on Hampton, a common opponent for Cal and Detroit Mercy in the coming days.)
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Game 4: California here we come

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:49 am

California

When Thursday, Nov. 15, 10:00 p.m. EST
Where Berkeley, Calif.
Radio AM 910 Superstation, http://www.910amsuperstation.com/?page_id=532
TV PAC-12 Network. But let’s be real—you don’t have it on your cable package, and you don’t want to stay up that late anyway.

Mike Davis may complain that the schedule he (largely) inherited isn’t tough enough, but it’s been pretty tough so far. On Thursday, the Titans will play their 4th road game in 10 days. The last two have been against likely NCAA or at least NIT teams in Temple and Butler, and now the Titans travel to the left coast to face a PAC 12. Winning on the road is always tough in college hoops, and especially when you have to travel across three time zones and tip-off at 10:00 your time.

The Titans haven’t beaten a PAC 12 team since knocking off UCLA in the 1999 NCAA tournament, although that’s only four games worth—a loss to Cal to start the 2009-10 season, a loss to Arizona State in the 2013 NIT, another loss to Arizona State in 2014, and last year’s defeat at UCLA. And the Titans are 0-21 against P-5 and Big East teams since beating St. John’s early in the 2011-12 season. So it seems odd to think that this Titan team, on paper our least talented team in a decade, playing on coast, actually could win this game. Oh, we won’t be favored to win, but we can.

Simply put, this is not a good Cal team. The Bears matched Detroit’s 8-24 record a year ago, and in their season opener, were thrashed 76-59 by Yale in a game played out in Shanghai. They are very young, starting two freshmen, two sophs, and a junior, and they don’t have much depth. But they did recover from the China trip to beat Hampton on Tuesday, and its’ worth saying it again—we’ll still be the underdog playing on the road.

Paris Austin, a redshirt junior transfer from Boise State, mans the point. Austin’s turnover/assists ratios are so-so, and although he averaged over 12 points per game for Boise State in 2017, and is averaging 19 points through Cal’s first two games, he doesn’t have an outside shot. (Of course, the obvious flip side is that the fact that he’s scoring without a three point shot implies what is true—he’s pretty good at penetrating. We’ll see if he can do that against our zone.) He’s just a 23% career shooter from outside the arc, and didn’t even attempt a three point shot against Yale. Sophomore Darius McNeill and freshman Matt Bradley give Cal what is today’s increasingly routine 3-guard lineup. McNeill set a Cal record with 67 threes last year, but shot a brutal 0-8 against Yale. He recovered with 3 of 6 shooting from three, for 11 points, against Hampton. McNeill is also capable of running the point. Bradley, meanwhile, is a 4-star recruit and has also scored in double figures in both games.

Up front, Cal has another former 4-star recruit, sophomore Justice Sueing. (Sueing is also, for obvious reasons, an All-Name player). The 6-7 Sueing averaged almost 14 points a game last year, but spends too much time jacking up threes with marginal success. He’s actually got some nice moves around the basket and will be better if he focuses his attention there, using the three only rarely to keep defenders honest. The final starter is 6-8 freshman Andre Kelly.

Outside of the starters, only two players have seen much action in the first two games: 6-8 sophomore forward Grant Anticevich, and 6-7 freshman forward Jacobi Gordon. Cal’s very big secret weapon is 7-3 freshman Connor Vanover, a four-star recruit per Scout. He’ll play, and if he’s effective could stay in the game. Juhwan Harris-Dyson, a former 4-star recruit, missed the China trip with an injury but played 14 minutes against Hampton, without taking a shot or grabbing a rebound. Harris-Dyson had a solid freshman year (6.2 points, 3.4 rebounds per game). He scores on cuts to the basket and drives--his jump shot is wanting.

How thin and young is Cal? The Bears will suit up 9 scholarship players on Thursday—the redshirt junior Austin, 4 sophomores, and 4 freshmen.

If the Titans hope to win some non-conference games, this may be the best week to do so. After the Bears, we get a pair of games in Calihan against Loyola of Maryland and either Bowling Green or Hampton. I’ll be extremely disappointed if one of those doesn’t go into the Win column, and I hope we can take them both. But first, we can win this game, and if the Bears are young and struggling, they’re still a P-5 team we’re playing on the road. If Austin can penetrate and kick it out—one of his strengths—and McNeill, Bradley, and Sueing hit their threes, this could really test our zone, which has looked a bit better every game. But Cal lacks a top three point shooter--McNeill was 35% last year, Sueing 31%; the freshman Bradley has taken just three shots from outside the arc in the first two games. Unless Vanover steps it up, we’ll not have the type of size disadvantage we had at Temple and Butler, and with Cal's spotty three point shooting the zone should have some leeway to collapse in the middle. So this is a game for Blackshear and King to shine. Hopefully Brandon will be strong but I expect he’ll be a bit erratic this year--at this point, I'll take whatever we get from him, with no expectations.

Time to get a W. Go Titans!

Probable Cal Starters
PG: Paris Austin, 6-0 RS Jr. (19.0 ppg, 4.0 apg)
SG: Darius McNeill, 6-3 Soph. (5.5 ppg)
SG: Matt Bradley, 6-4 Fr. (12.0 ppg)
F: Justice Sueing, 6-7 Soph. (13.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg)
F: Andre Kelly, 6-8 Fr. (11.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg)

Key Reserves
G: Juhwan Harris-Dyson, 6-5 Soph. (0.0 ppg)
F: Jacobi Gordon, 6-7 Fr. (1.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg)
F: Grant Anticevich, 6-8 Soph. (2.0 ppg)
C: Connor Vanover, 7-3 Fr. (4.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg)

McFolley Watch: Josh needs 4 points against California to pass Al Cech, a guard on the 1962-64 teams, for 33rd place on the Titans all time scoring lists. After the Butler game, I noted that Josh had passed Carl Pickett on the list. He also passed his former teammate Jaleel Hogan--I missed that because the Titan all-time list ranks Hogan and Pickett out of order.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 am

Commissioner wrote:PAC-12 Network. But let’s be real—you don’t have it on your cable package, and you don’t want to stay up that late anyway.

We have Spectrum Cable at our house. We can add the Sports Pass Package (which includes the PAC12 network) for just the day. That package costs $12.00 for the month. I added it this morning and will cancel it tomorrow. They will only charge me for the day(s) that it is active. I am happy with that deal.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:12 pm

The Cal inside game that you described, Commissioner, spotty though it may be, is exactly what the Titans fall victim to typically, cuts to the basket and unexpected strong games from big men, such as Teske last year for Michigan. I agree that, to avoid same, big efforts from Brandon and King are needed, as well as The Shear.

Regards the state of the Cal program, it hasn't been the same, it seems to me, since the defection of Cuonzo Martin, I believe, as coach in the late going of the offseason two years ago. He went to Missouri to mentor the supposedly best college prospect that year, Michael Porter, who missed much of the season, played late in the year, went out early in the NCAAs and then went pro, ala Kyrie Irving, who did successfully navigate a similar path. Such is MBB these days.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Ugh - cancelled.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Tonight's game has been cancelled due to air quality issues
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 49445?s=19
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Climate change has yet another victim. We could have won this game.

At least the guys will get another trip to CA when they play at Oakland this winter.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Earlier today, the Mid-Major Madness website predicted a Titan upset.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 pm

BERKELEY, Calif. (11/15/2018) -- With the air quality levels having risen to the very unhealthy range in the Berkeley area and a significant amount of smoke having infiltrated Haas Pavilion, Thursday night's men's basketball game between Cal and Detroit Mercy has been cancelled.

The Air Quality Index (AQI) in Berkeley surpassed 200 Thursday afternoon.

Officials from Cal Athletics, Detroit Mercy and the GotPrint.com Legends Classic presented by Old Trapper are discussing options to possibly reschedule the men's basketball game originally set for tonight.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Game 4: California here we (don’t) come

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I vote for a Christmas Day game on national tv.

We really need this win for our Vegas 16 bid.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Earlier today, the Mid-Major Madness website predicted a Titan upset.

The real reason Cal cancelled the game.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Detroit News story on cancellation:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 019623002/

I’m guessing for a variety or reasons, including the distance between the two schools, this one won’t be madeup at a later date. Hope we get to keep the money. According to their fan message board, a couple posters were previously thinking the crowd might be around 1,500.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Titan Jim wrote:
Commissioner wrote:PAC-12 Network. But let’s be real—you don’t have it on your cable package, and you don’t want to stay up that late anyway.

We have Spectrum Cable at our house. We can add the Sports Pass Package (which includes the PAC12 network) for just the day. That package costs $12.00 for the month. I added it this morning and will cancel it tomorrow. They will only charge me for the day(s) that it is active. I am happy with that deal.

By my calculation, you’re screwed out of 40 to 80 cents.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Titan Jim wrote:

By my calculation, you’re screwed out of 40 to 80 cents.

On the upside, I get to go to bed at my regular time (9:30 PM). :lol:
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 pm

So will the Oakland game be cancelled because of air quality, too? Berkeley borders Oakland. It's a good question to ask.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:12 pm

I think the only real chance we have at rescheduling this would be playing tomorrow or Saturday. Our guys are already in Berkeley and, as mentioned above, our schools are just too far apart to think we’d find another agreeable date that’s not too close to other scheduled games. I’m guessing the air quality will not magically get better in the next day or two. The real tragedy is that we will never have a clear consensus on who won the GotPrint.com Legends Classic presented by Old Trappe.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am

This could be a decent hit to us financially too. Although they still gain frequent flyer miles.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:39 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:This could be a decent hit to us financially too. Although they still gain frequent flyer miles.

I would think it would depend on the contractual provisions and any cancellation insurance.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:09 am

The conference schedules of both teams do not leave any realistic open dates for us to fly back out to Berkeley for the game.

Cal has to fly to NYC to play Monday at the Legends' main event in Brooklyn that happens at the same time we are hosting the sub-regional. I don't see how Cal gets this home game back later in the year. PAC-12 is playing regular season conference games when the HL is playing its tournament The only possible date is about March 10 - if Cal wanted to play the game as a tune-up for the PAC-12 tourney. But since we will make the HL semi-finals at LCA, we will not want to make the trip to play that game 1 or 2 days before the semifinals.

I'm sure the money issue will be worked out between the two schools and the Legends tournament committee.

More important is the health of the players and the fans. It's smart not to compound the destruction of the fires themselves up in the Chico area with some preventable problems down in the SF Bay area.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 am

ptc, wouldn’t making the guys play in the low air quality arena make them more antifragile?

In all seriousness, the right decision was made. Dec 23 would work for both teams. Theoretically the Titans could travel the day after the Xavier game to CA, have a night’s rest and play a game. I see a couple problems though. First, I suspect Cal is letting their players go home after their game on the 21st. Second, it just cuts a bit too close to our conference opener on the 28th.

Hopefully a handshake was made to schedule a game against Cal next year before Davis left town.
Tacitus651
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball