Brailen Neely Leaves OU

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Brailen Neely Leaves OU

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Josh McFolley's former teammate at Western HS, Brailen Neely, has decided to leave the OU program. Last year, he sustained a serious knee injury. Either, he reinjured it or it never completely healed. I want to beat them, but it is never good when a college player loses his dream due to injury.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2018/11/26/oakland-turns-freshman-point-guard-brailen-neely-leaves-program/2118528002/
ptctitan
Senior

Re: Brailen Neely Leaves OU

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm

I don’t understand why he’d want to leave such a fine institution.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/oak ... classrooms
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:25 pm

I doublechecked the date on that story to make sure it wasn't from April Fool's Day. Sounds like a story from The Onion https://www.theonion.com/
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 pm

They wanted a D1 hockey team, but all they got were the pucks?
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:44 pm

I hope that he isn't seriously injured and wish him well.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:54 pm

The AP has picked up the puck story over the past few hours and OU is actually getting national attention for this now. I respect them trying to keep kids safe and all, but it’s rather embarrassing. And while I admire the ingenuity of their plan, I’m very skeptical that OU faculty are sober enough to throw the pucks with any degree of accuracy.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/faculty-trai ... t-shooters

Oh yeah, back to Neely. I wish him well. He always played well against us.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 am

Like my kooky uncle was just saying on Thanksgiving, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a professor with a hockey puck.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:20 am

They were going to use octopi until PETA heard about it and complained.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:23 am

Great idea, at least it will be easy to spot a gunman on their campus...…….he'll be the guy wearing the goalie equipment heading towards a classroom.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am

I suggest lacrosse balls because they nearly has hard as a puck, as easy to carry, easier to throw, and probably more accurate.

I also suggest a bag of marbles or banana peels. Or the audio of a gangster movie played at full volume, a paint can or hot iron that can swing into the doorway, or any other "Home Alone" trick.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:07 pm

This puck thing is a joke, right?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 pm

It’s not a joke. I wish I were talented enough to pull off a prank that resulted in national news organizations reporting that OU is giving faculty and students hockey pucks to throw at potential campus shooters. This story is real.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:50 pm

I also suggest a bag of marbles or banana peels. Or the audio of a gangster movie played at full volume, a paint can or hot iron that can swing into the doorway, or any other "Home Alone" trick.

You forgot to include an anvil that comes in a package that says ACME on the side of it.
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:29 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:I suggest lacrosse balls because they nearly has hard as a puck, as easy to carry, easier to throw, and probably more accurate.

Plus they can put a banana in the tailpipe of the getaway vehicle.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:31 pm

OR, paint all the floors on campus the color of the court at the Orena. Install bright lights. Then when there is a situation just turn on the bright lights and the assailant (and everyone else) will be completely blinded by the glare off the floors. No pucks or any use of force needed. I'm surprised they didn't think of this.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:10 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:OR, paint all the floors on campus the color of the court at the Orena. Install bright lights. Then when there is a situation just turn on the bright lights and the assailant (and everyone else) will be completely blinded by the glare off the floors. No pucks or any use of force needed. I'm surprised they didn't think of this.

Hahaha.

All the Higher Ed sites and newsletters are running the story, and there are plenty of comments making fun at OU’s expense. This is one of those situations where you have to ask yourself, how did this plan make it from an idea in a room to a campus wide plan without someone saying, “This idea is stupid. We can’t do this. Everyone will laugh at us.”?

And besides, any study will tell you that you are much more likely to injure a family member with a hockey puck than an intruder. I mean, come on Grizz Gang!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:48 pm

I can’t and won’t defend this one. But here’s what most are missing and they did an AWFUL job of getting out there:

These pucks are labeled. They’re supposed to be a joke. The label has the fundraiser number. The idea was to get the proper interior locks installed on the classrooms. But man, this has not gone well for the university unless their intention was to have it gain national attention and someone donate the cost. I dunno. Not able to justify much here.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:56 pm

I understand the fundraising appeal with the pucks, drummer. But this article doesn’t suggest the idea is entirely a joke: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michigans- ... -shooters/

It seems to me that OU desperately needs the upgraded locks. All joking aside, I sincerely hope you get that funding. Spending nearly $2,500 doesn’t seem like a joke though. It appears the head of campus security believes the pucks are an added benefit. And if it’s a joke then why are they actually training faculty how to throw pucks?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Sad is that it’s necessary. But I digress.

Here’s the tweet from the OU student congress on the subject: https://twitter.com/ouscofficial/status ... 87232?s=21

I could see if this has been contentious behind the scenes the union saying screw it and going all in on the madness of the idea. However, the police chief backing this has me confused too.

I get the gist of what’s going on here but not going to pretend to understand completely. Many here think I’m an OU lemming and get behind everything they do. Many OU fans think I’m a troll and not a real fan of the teams or school. Funny how that plays out. *shrug*
Oudrummer
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball