December Schedule & Becoming Anti-Fragile

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

December Schedule & Becoming Anti-Fragile

Postby ptctitan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 am

Last night's failure to close out the game sets the stage for an important month of road games. We have only one game at home until next year.

Becoming anti-fragile means growing stronger from failure because the system (in this case our team) learns what not to do the next time it faces a similar situation. In recent seasons, our teams would not learn those lessons and fall away from the system and process that had brought them a few wins. Faced with this failure and the adversity of a strong road schedule, will the players dig deeper and move on to the next level? If they learn that they cannot relax until it is impossible for the opponent to score enough points, then we will become stronger. The question is whether the players themselves will admit what happened and correct the situation the next they are in position to win.

Beginning December 1, we will see their response over the entire month. In past seasons, I would expect a meltdown. I do not expect this year's team to do that. But the gut check of the road begins Saturday.
ptctitan
Senior

Re: December Schedule & Becoming Anti-Fragile

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 am

Tough 3 game road trip. The ESPN matchup predictor gives us between 8-13% chance to win each game. Road wins are tough, and I’d be thrilled to get one of these. We have the ability to win these games but there’s not much room for error. Sagarin currently ranks Dayton at 79, Toledo at 81, and Akron at 107. Not ranked opponents, but they’re all very good teams.

I won’t be devastated if we lose the next 3, but I will be disappointed if we get blown out and stop displaying the energy we’ve been showing.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 pm

ptc & tacitus, you both made valid points.

I have tremendous confidence that our team will meet this challenge the next time we have to close out a game. From what I've read, Davis' teams are a lot like Watson's teams in that they get stronger as the year plays on. This group of players have the mental toughness to do it.

We almost won this game even though McFolley had a poor shooting night but he did contribute in other ways with 4 steals and some assists. Davis was hounded by Kent State's defense throughout the game and though his 3 point shot wasn't falling as much as we had gotten use to, he seem to make an adjustment and went to his 2 point shot a little more and kept us in the game. He's now a marked man and is now to getting extra attention from the opposition. I'm sure he's seen this before. I really like the fire King brings to the game. Blackshear plays tough. He is quietly putting together a fine season. Hamrick is also a rugged player. He would make a good hockey player. He'd be the type of skater who would go into the corners, fight the other players for possession of the puck and come away with it. He grabbed 9 rebounds, had 4 assists and made his FTs. Brandon seems to be where the ball is. If he keeps working hard he has a fine season in store for him. Holland and Long played hard. Without them we would not have had a chance to win it at the end.

We lost to a good team. Kent St is a very aggressive. We are also a good team and last night we battled hard. Kent taught us we have to play hard right up to the end. The coaches will take care of that. We have a fine staff.

Go Titans!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Put it this way, if you were to ask Titan fans at the end of last season how they’d feel about a 3-4 start this year (against all D1 opponents), without any embarrassing blowouts, 9 out of 10 would be thrilled. We let one get away yesterday but better to learn the lesson now than in conference play. We have the right coaches, great players, and we just have to let the Davis system run itself. I actually would suggest people read a couple chapters out of Taleb’s Antifragile book.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 pm

A rather ugly road trip. All we can do is put it behind us, hope the team does well on final exams and that we don’t have any academic issues. Normally we are pretty good on the academic side, but you have to worry a little bit when you have a lot of new players.

It would be really nice to get a win against Ohio. Definitely obtainable. We won’t beat Xavier, but I hope we resemble the team that played against Butler and not the team that played against Dayton/Toledo. At the very least, we have 2 more games to get Curry ready for conference play. I’m also glad that we open HL play against YSU & CSU. Road games but winnable.
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball