Toledo

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Toledo

Postby Commissioner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 am

Toledo

When: Wednesday, December 5, 7:00 p.m.
Where: Savage Hall, University of Toledo
TV: ESPN3
Radio: 910 AM Superstation

After Tuesday's licking at Dayton, the Titans are right back on the court to face another old rival, Toledo. Not much time to fix what went wrong against Dayton, but not much time to dwell on it either, and maybe that's not bad.

Toledo is one of the Titans' oldest and most frequent rivals, although, unlike Dayton, we continue to play them regularly in home and home series. The Rockets lead the all-time series, which dates to 1920, by 33 to 25. That first game was a Titan blowout, and may have set the record--certainly unbreakable now--for fewest points given up by a Titan team (three). May have? We don't know? Well, probably not, but I'm not sure. I explain the confusion in my list of greatest Titan wins:

*83. Jan. 28, 1920: Detroit 30, Toledo/Albion 3.
The Titans held a good (8-3) Toledo team to just 3 points, the fewest allowed in Titan history.
[*Update: The Titans record books list this score of 30-3. Toledo's record books list the score as 30-8. Shortly after publishing this, I uncovered game reports in the archives of the Varsity News, which list the score of this game as 31-8. However, the VN also lists the Titans as beating Albion 39-3 in the 1920 season on Feb. 7 (the Titans' official record books list that score as 39-8). The Varsity News reports that Walter "Tillie" Voss led the Titans with 12 points in the Toledo game; he also led the Titans against Albion with 10 points in the first half. According to the Varsity News, Albion trailed 25-1 at the half and the margin grew to 39-1 before Albion scored a basket in the final minute. Albion finished the season 3-13. Their on-line resources do not list a score for this game. One of these games - I'll go with the Varsity News - is the best defensive effort in Titan history!]

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5YgHXAB2s

I also included these games in my list:
96. Jan. 5, 1946: Detroit 40, Toledo 34.
Coach Harold Anderson turned Toledo into a national power after becoming head coach before the 1934-35 season. Under Anderson and his successors, Toledo was 343-133 record (72%) in the twenty years from 1935-1954, with NIT bids in 1942 and 1943. The Titans had a good team in 1946, led by war veteran Art Stolkey and Canadian Gino Sovran, but Sovran was out with a sprained ankle. The Titans entered this game at 3-1 on the way to a 7-1 start; Toledo, featuring future Detroit Piston coach Paul Seymour and 6-9 Sylvester “Stretch” Goedde, who pitched for the Toledo Mud Hens while attending Toledo, was 6-0 on the way to an 11-1 start. The Rockets led by as many as 10 in the early going, but the Titans fought back to close to within 3 at the half, and gradually ground the Rockets down in the second half. Ed Bartz led the Titans with 10 points, inluding 5 in the crucial rally late in the first half; and Stolkey added 7. Seymour led Toledo with 9. The Rockets would gain revenge later in the year in Toledo, rallying from 14 down to win 57-50, and finish the season 20-7. The Titans finished 15-8.

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5YgIiLHpq

88. Dec. 1, 1977: Detroit 76, @ Toledo 64.
Terry Duerod hit 12 of 14 shots from the floor including 10 straight at one point, as Detroit won at Toledo to launch the highly anticipated 1977-78 season. The Titans shot 56% for the night in a convincing win over a very good Rocket club that would finish the season 21-6. Duerod finished with 25 points, while Kevin Kaseta and Terry Tyler each added 13.

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5YgIIoWgs

65. Nov. 24, 1978: Detroit 67, Toledo 64.
The Titans opened the season with a win over eventual MAC Champ, #19 year end, Sweet 16 Rockets. Trailing 60-53 with 8:40 to play, the Titans held Toledo scoreless for the next 6:53 to take charge. Jerry Davis finished with 18 points and 8 rebounds, and Earl Cureton added 12 points and 10 rebounds. This cut Toledo's lead in the long rivalry to 17-16.

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5YgJ3kV7V

It's always been a very competitive rivalry, and remains so--over the last two decades, we've played 16 times, with each school winning 8. The last 4 games have been Detroit by 3, Detroit by 3 again, Toledo by 8, and Toledo by 3.

Toledo has looked good in the early going of 2018-19. The Rockets are 7-1, including a pair of wins over Horizon teams, at Oakland and against Cleveland State. Their only loss is a road game at Horizon favorite Wright State. They won the Gulf Coast Showcase, beating a couple of competitive mid-majors, Louisiana (5-3) and Cal-Irvine (7-2) on a neutral floor, as well as Florida Gulf Coast, which is down this year. KenPom ranks the Rockets #104; Sagarin #134; the old RPI puts them #124; and NCAA Net--the one that matters--at #116.

The Rockets are an excellent passing team and an excellent three point shooting team (they entered the week 30th in the nation in 3 point percentage, and 34th in 3 pointers made). That combination will make for a very tough test for the Titan zone. Coach Todd Kowalczyk also likes to run a high post offense, and recruits centers who can serve as the lynchpin for that attack. So they can go at the zone that way, too. This year the lynchpin is 6-11 junior Luke Knapke, who had 15 points in 20 minutes off the bench in last year's Rockets' win. The forwards are Willie Jackson, a 6-6 junior, and Nate Navigato, a 6-8 senior who is 15th in the nation in 3 point field goal percentage. The guards are senior Jaelan Sanford, the team's leading scorer, and sophomore Marreon Jackson, who runs the show with skill. Kowalczyk tends to go deep into the bench, where he's got 6-10 freshman AJ Adu to spell Knapke, Chris Darrington, a three point shooter and Tennessee transfer, and a couple of big Michigan-native sophomore guards, Dylan Alderson and Spencer Littleson. Sanford and the big guys, Navigato and Knapke, are the three point shooters to watch. Darrington, Littleson, and Alderson can also hit the three when they're in the game.

Knapke and Edu are good interior defensive players, so that dribble-drive game is going to be tough. The Titans are simply going to have to hit their shots--especially their three point shots--to take out Toledo. We really need a good game from King.

Should be a good contest down at the Savage Hall, a little over an hour from the UD campus and just 45 minutes from Downriver. Go Titans!

Probable Toledo Starters
PG: Marreon Jackson, 6-0 Soph. (6.5 ppg, 5.4 apg)
SG: Jaelan Sanford, 6-4 Sr. (18.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.3 apg, 37.5% 3PtFG)
SF: Nate Navigato, 6-8 Sr. (12.8 ppg, 3.0 apg, 53.5% 3PtFG)
F: Willie Jackson, 6-6 Jr. (12.1 ppg, 9.6 rpg)
C: Luke Knapke, 6-11 RS Jr. (12.0 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 47.8% 3Pt FG)

Key Bench
G: Chris Darrington, 6-1 RS Sr. (10.0 ppg, 46.2% 3PtFG)
G: Spencer Littleson, 6-4 RS Soph. (3.3 ppg, 38.9% 3PtFG)
SF: Dylan Alderson, 6-5 Soph. (2.3 ppg)
C: AJ Edu, 6-10 Fr. (3.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg)

McFolley Watch
After scoring just 5 against Dayton, Josh still needs 8 points to pass Doug Chappell (1981-84) for 27th on the Titans' all time scoring list, and a big night (26 points) to catch Frank Russell (1970-72) for 26th place on the Titans all-time scoring list.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Toledo

Postby ptctitan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am

Re: McFolley watch. Josh and Gerald have regressed in the last 3 games. They have reverted to some bad habits learned over the past 3 seasons. Repeatedly, Blackshear was pushed out of good rebounding position by the Dayton big men. When Josh's shot does not fall, his play regresses. They are the seniors. They need to step it up and give more effort than they have ever given in the past. They need to play with the effort shown by Brandon and Nguidjol when they refused to back down against Dayton's bigs. I loved it when Brandon put the one Flyer flat on his back with that block in the second half. That was old school effort. Don't care if it was or was not a foul. Ref's said it was clean. Dayton coach got T'd up for disagreeing. But that is the type of effort needed by all 5 players on the court during their time out there.

It's time for the seniors to step up and lead by example even though individually they are not racking up the stats. They have 10 days off after tonight's game. No excuse for leaving Toledo with any unused energy.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm

This will be a tough game. Toledo has size to go with some good 3 point shooting, however, I believe we will come back strong after last night's loss. I believe we will win!

Go Titans!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm

15 point dogs. I’d be happy to see any signs of improvement. Heck, going into the locker room at half time and still being in the game would be nice.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Curry is back and in the starting lineup
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Is that true or a mistake in the box score?
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:Is that true or a mistake in the box score?

Curry is playing. He received a waiver. And it looks like he can really ball
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:52 pm

The team didn’t stay in Dayton last night, they bussed all the way back to Detroit after the game arriving on campus after 2:00 am. I saw a bus at Calihan around 4:00 pm, assume that is when the guys headed to Toledo. No wonder they look so out of gas early.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 pm

We’re lethargic. I know Davis had almost no say in this year’s schedule but we can’t play back to backs (especially on the road) moving forward. Just sets our kids up for losses and ruins morale.

It was evident after 2 minutes that we were losing this game, but finding out that Curry is eligible and seeing him play has made a rough week for us at least seem a little better. He could end up making the difference in a lot of HL games ... which I can’t wait to see start quite frankly.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:The team didn’t stay in Dayton last night, they bussed all the way back to Detroit after the game arriving on campus after 2:00 am. I saw a bus at Calihan around 4:00 pm, assume that is when the guys headed to Toledo. No wonder they look so out of gas early.

Are you sure our guys didn’t walk to Toledo?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Why go back to Detroit on a back to back when you drive right through Toledo on the way there? Was someone expecting a box from Amazon this morning? No wonder they look dead tired. I understand classes and finals coming up but how can we expect any energy at all? They are essentially set up to take a 30 point pasting. :?:
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Down by 40. Check please!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 pm

The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1 .Nate Navigato
2. Willie Jackson
3. Harvey Knuckles
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 pm

1. Good to hear from you Moose
2. One of the tv announcers mentioned Calihan Mole's rumor about Rick Pitino. That, in my opinion, was the call of the night
3. Another time the commentator said, per Coach Davis, no one on UD is making a case for more minutes. They're all making a case to get their minutes reduced :D

A few days off and we'll get back on track!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that calihanmole prank. Hilarious. I hope Tony Paul was watching tonight.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:44 pm

They went back to Detroit to get the correct uniform for Knight. ;) But apparently, they forgot to bring Hamrick back to Toledo. :roll:

Glad we have 10 days until the next game. We need to recoup. Toledo hit some very long range 3's tonight, but we had no bounce in our steps. Every loose ball went to the Rockets.

Back to square 1.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 pm

Tonight we were very slow reacting to the play. Teams go through a period of doldrums. Hopefully we will snap out of it soon.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 pm

ptctitan wrote:They went back to Detroit to get the correct uniform for Knight. ;) But apparently, they forgot to bring Hamrick back to Toledo. :roll:

Glad we have 10 days until the next game. We need to recoup. Toledo hit some very long range 3's tonight, but we had no bounce in our steps. Every loose ball went to the Rockets.

Back to square 1.

They also forgot to bring Cole Long.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 am

Both Hamrick and Long missing. Makes me think that our team may have been hit by the flu bug. That would account why our team was so lethargic.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:44 am

4 games in 7 days plus the back-to-back games on Tuesday and Wednesday just tired them out. On radio, Coach Davis said the only way we could play Dayton was to play them Tuesday. All the other games had been scheduled before he got here.
ptctitan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball