Titans Winter Blast — Oakland game thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Titans Winter Blast — Oakland game thread

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:11 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Jaevin Cumberland
2. Xavier Hill-Maas
3. Marquis Moore

Unsung Hero
Brad Brechting

I thought John Floyd was the Unsung Hero

I had a bad feeling for this game when I saw John Floyd. We hadn’t won a game with him officiating this season ( N Kentucky, Kent State and OU). He has called four T on us. This game he walked all the way down court in front of Davis just to give him a T when he was suppose to be posted up under the hoop.

Light read on John Floyd
https://www.toledoblade.com/RyanAutullo/2007/12/11/Checking-in-with-John-Floyd/stories/200712110027
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Official attendance 4125.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 pm

I thought we lost because we couldn’t stop them in the paint, down low. We had no answer. I know many of you love the potential and future of the young freshmen, but we need more size down low not only to defend but also to score when we get it down low. When they double teamed AD at the top of the key, he would pass it inside but we rarely could capitalize because our “bigs” aren’t scorers. To me that’s why we lost. Yes, they hit their 3s and we didn’t, but some of their guys were open because they went inside first then outside for open looks.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Official attendance 4125.

I was hoping for more but the roads were really bad and the snow couldn’t have come at a worse time. And Oakland didn’t bring many fans except the bus load of bush students and their low class cheers.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Blackshear is our only guy of comparable size. I woulda left him in until he fouled out.

I liked what Marquis Moore did, but he was the only player we had open much, so he needed to shoot and score in order to free up AD and Josh.

Curry was a beast on the boards, but we couldn't stop their inside guys.

AD needs to stop that driving: either stop and shoot or pass earlier. It does no good to get smothered inside, lose the ball, and get no foul shots.

Gotta love Willy's shooting. He's fearless and cold-blooded. And he can mix it up inside on defense.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Low class cheers? Bush league students?

What did I miss? Truly curious.

I’m aware of your student section flipping off the Grizz Gang and so drunk they were literally vomiting in bathrooms. Would love to know what made OU bush league and what cheers were low class? And while we’re comparing, whay kind of donation would you guys need to get your student section actually wearing Mercy gear as opposed to Raptors and Wisconsin and a USA hockey jersey?

Today followed the usual script.

Kampe out coached your coach. Couldn’t handle OU down low.

Go ahead and make your excuses. Complain about the ref (who tried multiple times to get Davis to stop. Didn’t wanna deal with it but Davis made him.

End of the day, it’s onlh a rivalry if both teams win. 9-2.

If anyone needs me, I’ll be eating a delicious meal at Macaroni Grill.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Oudrummer wrote:Low class cheers? Bush league students?

What did I miss? Truly curious.

I’m aware of your student section flipping off the Grizz Gang and so drunk they were literally vomiting in bathrooms. Would love to know what made OU bush league and what cheers were low class? And while we’re comparing, whay kind of donation would you guys need to get your student section actually wearing Mercy gear as opposed to Raptors and Wisconsin and a USA hockey jersey?

Today followed the usual script.

Kampe out coached your coach. Couldn’t handle OU down low.

Go ahead and make your excuses. Complain about the ref (who tried multiple times to get Davis to stop. Didn’t wanna deal with it but Davis made him.

End of the day, it’s onlh a rivalry if both teams win. 9-2.

If anyone needs me, I’ll be eating a delicious meal at Macaroni Grill.

Why do you come here little drummer boy? Were you just waiting for me to make some comment you didn’t like about your community college? Go back to your OU Proboards with about 4 other posters. They miss you actually. You’re just upset because we are getting all the press and a program on the rise while Kampe is sun setting and he’s still upset we didn’t hire him when he kept applying.

You’re a very angry person in need of psychological help. I would never post on your board and I hope no other Titan would either.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Painful to see so many missed shots and missed opportunities. Clearly, AD was able to pass the ball away from the double-team he faced most of the game but the rest of the team was just lost and unsure whether to shoot the ball or not. Many open shots failed.

I can't imagine what MD had to say to his players in the locker room after giving that one away. For all we know, he could still be lecturing them still.

Easily, we could have been up over 20 points. Next time, their house. Apparently, we weren't hungry enough for this one.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Oudrummer wrote:If anyone needs me, I’ll be eating a delicious meal at Macaroni Grill.

Perhaps the truest thing ever typed on this message board. If only we had one near our campus... :roll:
udballer
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 pm

You seem to have avoided my question.

What did our students do to be bush league and what low class cheers did they use?

Any thoughts on your student’s drunken display in non school gear since you want to talk about bush league and low class?

I post here because when people actually want to talk basketball, a good discussion happens sometimes. And when people just want to smack talk, it’s fun. If a conversation wanted to break about the Harden double team used on AD and if you have the ability to overcome it in the future, could be good talk.

9-2. This Macaroni is delicious. Y’all would love it.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Jaevin Cumberland
2. Xavier Hill-Maas
3. Marquis Moore

Unsung Hero
Brad Brechting

I thought John Floyd was the Unsung Hero

I had a bad feeling for this game when I saw John Floyd. We hadn’t won a game with him officiating this season ( N Kentucky, Kent State and OU). He has called four T on us. This game he walked all the way down court in front of Davis just to give him a T when he was suppose to be posted up under the hoop.

Light read on John Floyd
https://www.toledoblade.com/RyanAutullo/2007/12/11/Checking-in-with-John-Floyd/stories/200712110027

The biggest problem with Floyd, for us anyway, is that he won't call anything on the perimeter. OU was bumping and hand-checking AD all the time out there. Same as the NKU game.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:07 pm

NC Titan wrote:Blackshear is our only guy of comparable size. I woulda left him in until he fouled out.

I liked what Marquis Moore did, but he was the only player we had open much, so he needed to shoot and score in order to free up AD and Josh.

Curry was a beast on the boards, but we couldn't stop their inside guys.

AD needs to stop that driving: either stop and shoot or pass earlier. It does no good to get smothered inside, lose the ball, and get no foul shots.

Gotta love Willy's shooting. He's fearless and cold-blooded. And he can mix it up inside on defense.

I agree, either Blackshear or Brandon should have been on the floor for the entire game. Also, I am really looking forward to watching Willy develop, he has a nice stroke from outside
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Little Ou drummer boy. I'll bite. Your (msu wannabe) students/fans were just as bad. If not worse.They were flipping off our section and yelling back as well. The stupid daddy's boy chant was real classy...some other off color and inappropriate yelling feet away from families. Mine included.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 pm

I couldn’t make it to the game due to weather, but from watching on TV I think drummer’s claims about our student section not wearing UDM gear is mostly unfair. Anyone can go back and watch the replay and you’ll see most of the kids seem to be wearing our apparel. I did notice a student wearing a USA hockey jersey, and I’m not saying there wasn’t some kid wearing a Wisconsin shirt, but I think overall our kids looked the part.

It would have been nice for the athletic department to provide red shirts for the Red Out. I think OU has done shirts at least once and I tip my hat to them. Problem is sizing and the fact that many people fail to put on the shirts. We did the glow sticks ... I guess that’s cool during the intros but then they lose their utility.

Obviously the remarks about the vomiting in the bathrooms is hearsay. Hell, those could have been OU students.

I think it’s funny that drummer brings this up. Even if some of our kids had a few too many, OU is a school that literally gave teacher of the year awards to an instructor that had raves at his party house, gave students Ketamine and raped them.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Would love to see proof if Grizz gang being less than classy. Difference is, Mercy students on camera flipping off and being... well... drunk.

It’s cool. You guys are just happy they showed up for their one game this season. You’ve supported their actions before. You’ll support them again next year.

Floyd is a former OU player. Add that to your fuel.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Floyd. Ouch. Not. Considering the refs were non factor. Our cold shooting was. So get bent db. Good day. Go back to your lonely and miserable life...
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Oudrummer wrote:Would love to see proof if Grizz gang being less than classy. Difference is, Mercy students on camera flipping off and being... well... drunk.

It’s cool. You guys are just happy they showed up for their one game this season. You’ve supported their actions before. You’ll support them again next year.

Floyd is a former OU player. Add that to your fuel.

How do we get this guy off of our board? I want to come here and say what I damn well please about my team and the opposition and not have some d-bag criticizing it from his second rate public community college.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:I thought we lost because we couldn’t stop them in the paint, down low. We had no answer. I know many of you love the potential and future of the young freshmen, but we need more size down low not only to defend but also to score when we get it down low. When they double teamed AD at the top of the key, he would pass it inside but we rarely could capitalize because our “bigs” aren’t scorers. To me that’s why we lost. Yes, they hit their 3s and we didn’t, but some of their guys were open because they went inside first then outside for open looks.

I agree that we lack an inside game on offense. That is why this year's team lives and dies by the jump shot and guard play. Consequently, when our guards do not shoot well from the outside, it makes it more difficult to win. So, I think we said the same thing with a different emphasis.

This loss hurts because of the opponent. But, on to the next game. The objective is to win as many conference games as possible. At the end of the season, it's the total number of wins that determines our finish in the HL standings - not the identity of the opponents whom we beat and against which we lost. We have an opportunity to get our revenge against this opponent next month on their court. We have achieved that in the recent past. We can do it again this year.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 pm

TitanONeill wrote:Floyd. Ouch. Not. Considering the refs were non factor. Our cold shooting was. So get bent db. Good day. Go back to your lonely and miserable life...

1+
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 pm

FYI
John Floyd, former Oakland player Refereed the Milwaukee IUPUI game tonight. He DID not Ref in the Hall today. Not sure who came up with that but No, John Floyd did not ref. The bald red was Todd Van something.
Notsosmart
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball