Titans Winter Blast — Oakland game thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Titans Winter Blast — Oakland game thread

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Notsosmart wrote:FYI John Floyd, former Oakland player Refereed the Milwaukee IUPUI game tonight. He DID not Ref in the Hall today. Not sure who came up with that but No, John Floyd did not ref. The bald red was Todd Van something.

Then, why does the official scoresheet for today's game list Floyd as one the referees?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 pm

ptctitan wrote:
Notsosmart wrote:FYI John Floyd, former Oakland player Refereed the Milwaukee IUPUI game tonight. He DID not Ref in the Hall today. Not sure who came up with that but No, John Floyd did not ref. The bald red was Todd Van something.

Then, why does the official scoresheet for today's game list Floyd as one the referees?

That darn autocorrect! Always causing trouble :lol:

Btw, according to that article in the Toledo Blade it appears Floyd didn't like Oakland

RA: You left Oakland after your freshman year. Was it under similar circumstances?
JF: "No. It was strictly the school. I started 18 games as a freshman but the school just did not fit me well at all. I was looking for more of a college atmosphere. If you re in school for four years you might as well enjoy it."
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Notsosmart » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 am

No idea why. I watched the Milwaukee game and they show him and said his name.
Notsosmart
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:50 pm

I was talking to TitanMike afterwards in the TC and Kampe popped his head in. A lady was encouraging him to leave. Mike enjoyed a laughing "go home" cheer. All in good fun, I guess. I don't mind the student stuff too much. It'll be worse in the High School Gym (return game) for sure. If I were OU I'd fear revenge of "Daddy's Boy." The sequels could definitely go his way.

And I agree, Blackshear until he fouled out yesterday. He was the only one in the 2nd half who decided to front #14 and it made a difference. Odd that we got back into the game when we went man to man. OU doesn't look too good when you put pressure on them.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:I was talking to TitanMike afterwards in the TC and Kampe popped his head in. A lady was encouraging him to leave. Mike enjoyed a laughing "go home" cheer. All in good fun, I guess. I don't mind the student stuff too much. It'll be worse in the High School Gym (return game) for sure. If I were OU I'd fear revenge of "Daddy's Boy." The sequels could definitely go his way.

And I agree, Blackshear until he fouled out yesterday. He was the only one in the 2nd half who decided to front #14 and it made a difference. Odd that we got back into the game when we went man to man. OU doesn't look too good when you put pressure on them.

Why would Kampe pop his head in the TC room after the game? Especially a game they won? Strange? He’s a Titan wannabe I guess. But that’s odd in my mind unless Vowels or Mike Davis invited him up there?
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:44 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:I was talking to TitanMike afterwards in the TC and Kampe popped his head in.

As an old school Titan, Kampe's presence in the Titan Club room after that game would not have been a laughing matter to me. Who the hell does he think he is. Stay the ___________ out of our room!
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 am

For all the awful things Kampe is, he was a friend of Titan Reggie; even visited Reggie in the hospital. And I bet Reggie would have let him in. Maybe that is what Kampe was thinking. As I get older, the more I realize its just a game with a lot of different personalities. We are all people who love our teams. We should leave it there, between the tip and the buzzer. The players are just like our kids. The coaches are just like our uncles and brothers. The refs are trying, but human and doign a job not many of us would ever want to do. Personally, I like talking to fans from other teams. I'd like to see some kind of reciprocation with other HL booster clubs. It looks like UIC always puts out a nice spread for their boosters ;) . And I think I saw Reggie behind their curtain at least once.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

ExcitedTitan wrote: We should leave it there, between the tip and the buzzer.

Which is why the opposing coach who just won a rivalry game should not "pop in" to the Titan Club room in the immediate aftermath of his victory. It has the appearance of trying to rub salt in the wounds of our fans. And one-up our coach. "Pop in" suggests that he was not invited. After celebrating with his team in the visitors' locker room and in the hallway with his school's fans, he should have boarded the team bus and went back to his campus.

There is a proper time and place for doing certain things. IMO, that was not the proper time and place for "popping in."

My opinion does not exclude the likelihood that in other settings, Kampe is a good person or can act in a good way.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm

ptctitan wrote:
ExcitedTitan wrote: We should leave it there, between the tip and the buzzer.

Which is why the opposing coach who just won a rivalry game should not "pop in" to the Titan Club room in the immediate aftermath of his victory. It has the appearance of trying to rub salt in the wounds of our fans. And one-up our coach. "Pop in" suggests that he was not invited. After celebrating with his team in the visitors' locker room and in the hallway with his school's fans, he should have boarded the team bus and went back to his campus.

There is a proper time and place for doing certain things. IMO, that was not the proper time and place for "popping in."

My opinion does not exclude the likelihood that in other settings, Kampe is a good person or can act in a good way.

+1
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:18 pm

The reference to Reggie reflects that Reg was an ambassador for our program, he knew that we were foes on the court but all had everything else in common off court. Reg was welcomed and had friends at other schools, I even recall that at least one or two schools had Reggie remembrances after he died. He would have welcomed Kampe into the room after the game, probably bought him the first beer and then invited him to join the Faithful at Tom's. (RIP for both Reggie and Tom's.)

Acting small and mean-spirited against Kampe after the game (unless he did something offensive) does not represent the values of our school. Leave the fight on the athletic field / floor and embrace our fellow enthusiasts, just as ballplayers mingle after a hard-fought battle. After all, we will want Coach Davis to be welcome in the Orena counterpart of the Titan Club after we trounce them on Feb 23.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm

NC Titan wrote:The reference to Reggie reflects that Reg was an ambassador for our program, he knew that we were foes on the court but all had everything else in common off court. Reg was welcomed and had friends at other schools, I even recall that at least one or two schools had Reggie remembrances after he died. He would have welcomed Kampe into the room after the game, probably bought him the first beer and then invited him to join the Faithful at Tom's. (RIP for both Reggie and Tom's.)

Acting small and mean-spirited against Kampe after the game (unless he did something offensive) does not represent the values of our school. Leave the fight on the athletic field / floor and embrace our fellow enthusiasts, just as ballplayers mingle after a hard-fought battle. After all, we will want Coach Davis to be welcome in the Orena counterpart of the Titan Club after we trounce them on Feb 23.

+1,I dont have a problem with Kampe coming into the titan club after the game. However, he must leave after 6 minutes or be bounced.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:58 pm

ptctitan wrote:
uofdfan1983 wrote:I was talking to TitanMike afterwards in the TC and Kampe popped his head in.

As an old school Titan, Kampe's presence in the Titan Club room after that game would not have been a laughing matter to me. Who the hell does he think he is. Stay the ___________ out of our room!

+1 I guess it would depend on if he was invited. If our fans can't get in without 'membership or a guest pass then Kampe shouldn't be there either.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm

NC Titan wrote:The reference to Reggie reflects that Reg was an ambassador for our program, he knew that we were foes on the court but all had everything else in common off court. Reg was welcomed and had friends at other schools, I even recall that at least one or two schools had Reggie remembrances after he died. He would have welcomed Kampe into the room after the game, probably bought him the first beer and then invited him to join the Faithful at Tom's. (RIP for both Reggie and Tom's.)

First, according to Tom's post, no one acted small or mean-spirited towards Kampe after the game. I said that had I still lived in Detroit and was in the room, I would have expressed to him my extreme displeasure with his presence in that room at that time.

Second, Tom's post said that Kampe popped in. I took that to mean that he entered unannounced, not as a guest of any member. There could be an innocent explanation for that act. Or not. To the best of my knowledge, Kampe is not a member of the Titan Club. If a member invited him to the room after the game for a drink, then I wouldn't like it; but I would understand.

Third, why the heck would Kampe think he would be welcome in that room after that game? You want a rivalry game and you want to crow about how many times you've beaten us since you joined the HL, then stay out unless you were invited. Show us respect and stay out of our room.

Fourth, he is not a fan of a conference opponent. He is the head coach of our arch rival who popped into the fans' private room after a very disappointing loss for us. He showed us no respect.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 am

ptctitan wrote:

First, according to Tom's post, no one acted small or mean-spirited towards Kampe after the game. I said that had I still lived in Detroit and was in the room, I would have expressed to him my extreme displeasure with his presence in that room at that time.

Second, Tom's post said that Kampe popped in. I took that to mean that he entered unannounced, not as a guest of any member. There could be an innocent explanation for that act. Or not. To the best of my knowledge, Kampe is not a member of the Titan Club. If a member invited him to the room after the game for a drink, then I wouldn't like it; but I would understand.

Third, why the heck would Kampe think he would be welcome in that room after that game? You want a rivalry game and you want to crow about how many times you've beaten us since you joined the HL, then stay out unless you were invited. Show us respect and stay out of our room.

Fourth, he is not a fan of a conference opponent. He is the head coach of our arch rival who popped into the fans' private room after a very disappointing loss for us. He showed us no respect.

+1
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:10 am

+1 Maybe Kampe thought other Titan fans were as cool as Reggie. Maybe he wanted to pay tribute to Reg, raise a glass to Reg, tell us what a great guy TR was. I'm not assuming he was there because of Titan Reggie, but it said a lot to me when Kampe went to visit Reggie in the hospital.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:04 am

Who was acting small and mean spirited? I don't know this with certainty, but in my opinion, this Reggie-Kampe love fest is over blown. Reggie was always genuine, not sure I can say the same for Coach Kampe.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 am

The actual comment made by me in the Titan Club was less than mean spirited. I think the words I used were, "Wrong Room Greg"
titanmike
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am

titanmike wrote:

The actual comment made by me in the Titan Club was less than mean spirited. I think the words I used were, "Wrong Room Greg"

+1 I’m still curious why he was roaming around Calihan in the area of the Titan Club room and the Ed and Brooks room where there was an alumni reception going on? Maybe we’ll never know.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm

titanmike wrote:

I didn't see Kampe come into the TC but I would have asked him what he was doing there. Were you there NC or are you just reading into it? Nothing mean spirited meant just " Why are you here?" I actually think mean spirited is displayed by quite a few on here, me included, when someone speaks from the heart. We are way to quick to attack fellow Titan fans. Hopefully we are all involved here because we want the best for the program.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 pm

Look, there was no mean spirit by anyone. I think Kampe was just yanking our chain. TitanMike was just responding to his surprise visit. Kampe didn't actually enter the room; just lingered for about 30 seconds at the entrance, looking around and smiling. He's an odd duck, nothing wrong with that. TitanMike is a true Titan, certainly nothing wrong with that. Reggie was an ambassador for our Program, and the best ever in that role. True, he would have walked over to Kampe and invited him in. Any of these responses is/was appropriate/inappropriate. The only thing that would have been inappropriate is if something would have escalated, and nothing happened. All in fun. We just need revenge in Rochester at the high school gymnasium.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball