Cleveland State

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Cleveland State

Postby Commissioner » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Cleveland State
When Sunday, December 30, 7:00 p.m.
Where Wolstein Center, Cleveland State
TV: ESPN+
Radio: AM 910 Superstation

In the second year of rebuilding under Dennis Felton, there are real signs of progress at Cleveland State. The Vikings closed last season with 6 wins in their last 9 games, including a run to the Horizon tournament final. After a slow start this year, CSU won three of its final 4 non-conference games. Seven of the 10 players in Felton’s deep rotation are freshmen or sophomores, and only one—Dontel Highsmith—is a senior. So there are signs. Nevertheless, any kind of .500 season appears at least a year away. The Vikings enter Sunday’s game at 5-9, 0-1 in conference after falling to Oakland on Friday.

Like the Titans, Cleveland State’s strength is on the perimeter. They start two capable point guards in the backcourt, Tyree Appleby and Kasheem Thomas. Appleby can score in bunches. Thomas is not a big scorer, but he’s been very effective this year at picking his spots. Both handle the ball well and both play good man-to-man defense. Cleveland State has some size in the front line in 6-9, 230 lb. Stefan Kenic, but along with companion, 6-6 freshman Seth Milllner, from Grand Rapids Christian, he’s as comfortable on the perimeter as banging in the paint. The third starting forward, 6-7, 225 lb. Jaalam Hill, is an in-the-paint player, but he’ll hit the three if the defender does go out to cover him.

On the bench, Rashad Williams, a freshman out of Wayne Memorial, is also a three point threat and the Vikings #3 scorer overall. Inside offense comes from two more Michigan players, 6-8 power forward Algevon Eichelberger and 6-9 power forward Deonte Johnson. Yet another Michigan player, Dowagiac’s Dontel Highsmith, was once a mid-major star in the making, but injuries have robbed him of his quickness and athleticism. Nonetheless, he is a still a solid back-up guard. If Coach Felton goes deeper, on the bench, the most likely choice is another forward, freshman Dibaji Walker.

Cleveland State is among the better teams in the nation both three point shooting and three point defense. They rank 19th in the country in three pointers made, and in the top 40 in opponents three-point shooting percentage. The implications are obvious: The Titans will benefit greatly if Curry and perhaps Hamrick can establish some inside offense early in the game; and our defense has to guard the perimeter.

Bottom line is that CSU is a better team that Youngstown State, but they’re still one of the weaker teams in the league. Of course, most people think the Titans are also in that group. A second road win to open the season would be a real feather in the Titans’ helment, especially with 5 straight home games to follow.

Probable Starters[/b]
G - #1, Tyree Appleby, 6-1 Soph. (17.1 ppg, 5.4 apg, 3.9 rpg, 38.4% 3PtFG)
G - #2, Kasheem Thomas, 6-0 Jr. (6.9 ppg, 3.0 apg, 3.5 rpg, 47.2% 3PtFG)
SF - #4, Seth Millner, 6-6 Fr. (7.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 38.7% 3PtFG)
F - #13, Stefan Kenic, 6-9 Soph. (11.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 35.1% 3PtFG)
F - #22, Jaalam Hill, 6-7 Jr. (8.9 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 54.0% FG)

[u]Key Reserves

G – #5, Rashad Williams, 6-2 Fr. (8.9 ppg, 36.8% 3PtFG)
G - #11, Dontel Highsmith, 6-2 RS Sr. (4.2 ppg)
F - #12, Algevon Eichelberger, 6-8 RS Soph. (5.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg)
F - #35, Deante Johnson, 6-9 Fr. (1.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg)
F - #24 Dibaji Walker, 6-7 Fr. (3.2 ppg)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Cleveland State

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:51 am

We're 4 point dogs and the experts at ESPN give us a 35% chance of a W.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:We're 4 point dogs and the experts at ESPN give us a 35% chance of a W.

HAHA ok ESPN
Titans03
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm

I watch a lot of NCAA hoops, and CSU has to have the worst designed arena when it comes to looks on television. The huge drape on the one end looks like a creepy Wizard of Oz set up. Because there’s no lower bowl and upper bowl, the seats look like an ocean. It looks like there’s maybe 100 people there tonight? I get that students are gone, but a lot of people are off tomorrow and you’d think they’d round up more than this.

Saddest part was during the CSU intro. There were mostly empty seats behind their bench, with the exception of a baby in a stroller (even the baby looked bored off his *$$) and a kid reading a magazine.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm just pissed. off that we have to buy ESPN+ to watch a game on sorta TV. But we are playing well and that makes the purchase easier to absorb.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm

I hear ya, Moose. For me, living 3 hours from Detroit, it’s still a great value given I really can’t make home games. It just sucks because ESPN was giving us these games for free for so many years.

I just noticed there IS an upper bowl at CSU. Yeesh. CSU should let in grade school students for free or something.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I hear ya, Moose. For me, living 3 hours from Detroit, it’s still a great value given I really can’t make home games. It just sucks because ESPN was giving us these games for free for so many years.

I just noticed there IS an upper bowl at CSU. Yeesh. CSU should let in grade school students for free or something.

It's not that $49 a year will change my life but it's the principle of the matter. ESPN makes money on ads and this "+" is just a way to make events PPV. I often can't attend games now because of my job change even though I live about 25-30 minutes from Calihan. Even so, if I get home in time I can watch parts of games on WADL. If I lived out of state, $49 would seem fair to see the whole season.

I would've thought this game would get a better crowd. A lot of people are on vacation. Can't say too much, though. Something about rocks and glass houses, you know?
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:11 pm

That's a decent fist half. I honestly think we're a bit of a dark horse in the HL this year. Our non-con was mostly tough and it looks like it's paying dividends early on.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I plan on canceling ESPN+ when MBB is not in season, so I guess I see it as a $20-$25 annual expense.

We don’t sell out the Hall, you’re right. I’m just saying the aesthetic view from my TV screen, CSU is by far the worst. Place looks dark, and I still don’t get the 50 foot drape.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:That's a decent fist half. I honestly think we're a bit of a dark horse in the HL this year. Our non-con was mostly tough and it looks like it's paying dividends early on.

Will be interesting to see how both coaches adjust for the next half. We look way more athletic out there. Vikings look lethargic at times, maybe they will come out swinging though for half 2.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:18 pm

They might at that. But I thought we were more energetic and skilled. BTW, no doubt about the Wollstein Center. Dreary as hell. At least Calihan looks good on the tube. Bright and good color scheme and the steep stairs give the Hall a classic look. That place in Cleveland looks like a partitioned warehouse.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm

The CSU mascot got bored, sat down and flirted with two girls for at least 10 minutes. I could watch this all night.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Rebounds, steals, fast-break points. I like it.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Saddest part was during the CSU intro. There were mostly empty seats behind their bench, with the exception of a baby in a stroller (even the baby looked bored off his *$$) and a kid reading a magazine.

Book Guy must have relatives in Cleveland.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Find a NYE party where you’ll have as much fun as our bench is having right now.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:51 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Saddest part was during the CSU intro. There were mostly empty seats behind their bench, with the exception of a baby in a stroller (even the baby looked bored off his *$$) and a kid reading a magazine.

Book Guy must have relatives in Cleveland.

He's the "new look" Book Guy this year.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:The CSU mascot got bored, sat down and flirted with two girls for at least 10 minutes. I could watch this all night.

The CSU mascot might have an easier time scoring tonight than any other Viking.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Our free throw shooting saved the day. Hard to believe. Nice to come away from Ohio with two wins. And the worst shooting day of Antoine’s career.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Find a NYE party where you’ll have as much fun as our bench is having right now.

I believe that last year, if we had been winning a game like this, the bench would have included a handful of sullen, grousing players upset that they weren't on the floor. Credit Coach Davis.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Yeah. They look like a team that genuinely are more invested in winning than minutes. So far, so good. 1st place.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball