Cleveland State

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Cleveland State

Postby ptctitan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:30 pm

First time in 20 seasons that we have started the HL season on the road with back to back W's.

I seem to recall that the 1998-99 team was not too shabby.

Winning with good defense on a night when our shooting was off. And we outrebounded CSU.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Resurget Cineribus wrote:Our free throw shooting saved the day. Hard to believe. Nice to come away from Ohio with two wins. And the worst shooting day of Antoine’s career.

Not to be nitpicky, but I believe that was actually a better shooting night than a couple other games this year.. at least % wise.

Says a lot to pick up double digit road wins when your top scorer has an off night. Great job by the entire team. Blackshear gave us what we need from him tonight, as well.
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 pm

udballer wrote:Not to be nitpicky, but I believe that was actually a better shooting night than a couple other games this year.. at least % wise.

Says a lot to pick up double digit road wins when your top scorer has an off night. Great job by the entire team. Blackshear gave us what we need from him tonight, as well.

+1. Blackshear had a good second half at Youngstown and continued his better play tonight. Using Josh's quickness out of the zone defense has made him a much more effective defender. 63.5 points against in HL play so far. That's a good start for the team.

Good test coming this weekend at Calihan.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:07 pm

The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Josh McFolley
2. Antoine Davis
3. Jaalam Hill

Unsung Hero
Gerald Blackshear
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:20 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Josh McFolley
2. Antoine Davis
3. Jaalam Hill

Unsung Hero
Gerald Blackshear

I'd add Darrien King in there, too. He shot well and seemed to always be where he needed to be.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 pm

NC, I agree with you. I like King. Also Hamrick and Curry played well. Our Titans ended 2018 on a positive note. Open up conference play with two road wins. This is great! I look forward to each game. This team is fun to watch.

Go Titans!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am

NC Titan wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Josh McFolley
2. Antoine Davis
3. Jaalam Hill

Unsung Hero
Gerald Blackshear

I'd add Darrien King in there, too. He shot well and seemed to always be where he needed to be.

I've been real critical of D.King lately, but I must say that he's been playing well lately.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:55 am

i thought our tempo was better than its been all year and that we controlled the floor from start to finish. very methodical and workmanlike.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Team look good. For I minute it looked like it was going to be a Kent State finish but the team gain their composure and made there free throws. One thing the team need to work on is how to burn up the shot clock and still shoot a high percentage shot. A lot of one player dribbling then trying to creat a shot. I am sure the coaching staff will address this. This team keeps looking better each game. There FT shooting was great. Blackshear and Hamrick made some critical FT down the stretch.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 pm

+1 JD. the critical element to me is that we didn't lose our composure the way we have in other games when the lead started dwindling. teams are going to make a run. that's fine. a major component to me is playing through it.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:46 pm

I credit that to good coaching. I don't think Coach Davis will let his team give a lead away.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby HoopLove247 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Teams play has improved looks like everyone has settled into their roles. I still think there is more offensive capability if given the opportunity at any given time. Hamrick has been a bright spot very athletic as someone posted after Hoop Night. I like Brandon alot also. Curry gives us some added muscle and another scoring option in the post. Blackshear looks more confident. Davis, McFolly and King are getting in their rhythm. Hamricks rebounding has been much needed. I like how he gets out on the break which I think we need more run outs when possible oppose to early shots in a half court set.Hopefully we can gain some confidence in these 2 road wins and get some rest for our home stretch. GO TITAN
HoopLove247
Junior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Tacitus mentioned the chaos defense in the Youngstown thread. Cleveland State had 13 turnovers (eight of them steals); the Titans had five turnovers. In a game we won by twelve 12, the differential (not just points off turnovers, but also CSU's 13 lost opportunities to score) is the margin of the game.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:04 am

NC Titan wrote:Tacitus mentioned the chaos defense in the Youngstown thread. Cleveland State had 13 turnovers (eight of them steals); the Titans had five turnovers. In a game we won by twelve 12, the differential (not just points off turnovers, but also CSU's 13 lost opportunities to score) is the margin of the game.

I think that Tacitus was making a joke about our defense used in the 2016-17 season when we pressured full court. This year, we are playing a very disciplined Syracuse zone. Watch Syracuse on TV when they play next time. We have copied that system pretty well. Gotta believe that special assistant Eric Devendorf is helping Coach Davis install and improve this defense.

The last four games, our points allowed have been 63, 69, 66, 61. If you back out our two blow-out losses to Dayton and Toledo on back-to-back nights, our average scoring is 71.2 PPG versus 72.1 Points Allowed per game. We have not had this close a scoring differential since 2015-16. If we continue with this trend, we should continue to get better results in the standings. On most nights, we should have a chance to win every game remaining in the HL.

That said, we face our toughest test as a team this coming weekend. Our two opponents play a more physical brand of basketball than our last two opponents. The best player in the HL, Drew McDonald is on NKU. Wright State will throw two bigs, at us including the 6'9" 280 lbs Loudon Love. Both teams have winning cultures. We will have to dig deep both days in order to beat them. More than Oakland, these two games will tell us in real terms how good we really are now. If we win both games, then dreams of a strong conference finish and tourney win are real. So, these are the two games at which we need strong fan support - as strong as we can muster at this time.
ptctitan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball