Horizon coaches rank the best jobs in conference

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Horizon coaches rank the best jobs in conference

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Horizon coaches rank the best jobs in conference

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Detroit ranked 8th in this poll:

https://watchstadium.com/news/horizon-l ... 2-28-2018/

I disagree with watchstadium on a few of their assesments, first UDM has the best history and tradition than any school in the conference. I am not sure how Milwaukee and Oakland are ahead of us in tradition, and also how is Oakland #1 in media exposure?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 pm

They had that Vegas 8 coverage a few years ago. That’s gotta be it.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:55 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Detroit ranked 8th in this poll:

https://watchstadium.com/news/horizon-l ... 2-28-2018/

I disagree with watchstadium on a few of their assesments, first UDM has the best history and tradition than any school in the conference. I am not sure how Milwaukee and Oakland are ahead of us in tradition, and also how is Oakland #1 in media exposure?

Does seem a bit weird, seeing as how Detroit has more NCAA appearances than any other team in the league, and more top 25 rankings, more all-americans, and more NBA players than all other teams in the league combined.

And IUPUI ranks #1 in "selling pros" on the strength of George Hill--their only NBA player ever? I don't keep track of other teams guys who play overseas (which they say is part of this ranking) but I doubt anyone else has more guys playing pro overseas than we do. Wright State ranks ahead of us on Valery Potapenko? Detroit's had more recent NBA players (Green/McCallum) and Green was better. I think Detroit ranks #1 in both tradition and selling pros.

I also don't see the relevance of "buy games' unless you have to play them, a la most SWAC and MEAC teams, or Oakland a few years ago. Davis is choosing to play buy games, but I don't think he has to play them under some University edict. I don't think any Horizon team really has an edge over others here--they all play 2-3 buy games a year.

They don't really say how they came up with this. It says a "poll" of coaches, but was that actually like a poll (and if so, how many responded), or was it more Jeff Goodman calling 6 guys on the phone and then coming up with his rankings?

All that said, the Titan job is a tough job--we shouldn't underestimate that. The facilities are old, the recruiting area is shrinking, and the game day atmosphere is usually awful, and probably tough to change. But some of this ranking seems pretty arbitrary.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Same evaluatory framework, this time looking at the MAC:

https://watchstadium.com/news/mac-colle ... 1-10-2019/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:59 am

the problem with those ohio jobs is you have to live in ohio!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball