Zags ring in New Year atop Pope’s Poll

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Zags ring in New Year atop Pope’s Poll

Postby The Pope » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:55 am

Forty-two Catholic colleges and universities compete in NCAA Division I basketball -- here’s a divinely inspired poll showing how they stack up on the hardwood at this point in the 2018-19 season. Records reflect games played through December 31.

“The Saintly Sixteen”

1. Gonzaga (13-2)
2. Marquette (11-2)
3. Villanova (9-4)
4. Creighton (10-4)
5. San Francisco (12-2)
6. St. John's (12-1)
7. Seton Hall (10-3)
8. St. Mary's (9-6)
9. Providence (10-4)
10. Notre Dame (10-3)
11. San Diego (11-4)
12. St. Louis (9-4)
13. Loyola-Marymount (12-2)
14. Dayton (8-5)
15. Georgetown (10-3)
16. Xavier (9-5)

In Purgatory: Boston College, DePaul, Duquesne, Fordham, Holy Cross, Loyola (IL), St. Joseph's and Seattle.

Hangin' In Hoops Hell: Canisius, Detroit Mercy, Fairfield, Iona, Incarnate Word, LaSalle, Loyola (MD), Mt. St. Mary's, Niagara, Portland, Sacred Heart, St. Bonaventure, St. Francis (PA), St. Francis (NY), St. Peter's, Santa Clara and Siena.

"Francis’ Flop" (worst Catholic team in America): Manhattan (2-10).
The Pope
Senior

Re: Zags ring in New Year atop Pope’s Poll

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:27 pm

When did San Francisco get good?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm

NC Titan wrote:When did San Francisco get good?

When they hired Kyle Smith:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/07/30/ ... extension/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Hard to think that a team that hasn't been to the NCAA is the fifth-best Catholic program in the country. Maybe they are that good. Time will tell.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:33 pm

NC Titan wrote:Hard to think that a team that hasn't been to the NCAA is the fifth-best Catholic program in the country. Maybe they are that good. Time will tell.

San Francisco has 2 national titles
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Hard to think that a team that hasn't been to the NCAA is the fifth-best Catholic program in the country. Maybe they are that good. Time will tell.

Two words: Bill Russell
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:09 pm

The WCC (all private, mostly Catholic) has developed in to a really nice league with stable membership. Currently it’s the eighth best conference in the Sagarin ratings. If Marquette, Dayton, Xavier, Duquesne, LaSalle, Butler, St. Louis, Loyola, etc., would have stayed in the MCC along with the Detroit Titans, I think it would have evolved into similar or even greater success.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:35 am

HSScout1 wrote:
Commissioner wrote:

Two words: Bill Russell

Bill Russell and two championships 60 years ago doesn't get you ranked as fifth best Catholic team today.

Nonetheless, I hope they make a good run. It's always good to see a Catholic school make a splash. Loyola, Villanova, Gonzaga …
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:06 am

FWIW, San Francisco is currently at #40 in the NCAA NET ratings. That’s the sixth best rating amongst Catholic schools.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:37 am

Bill Russell and two championships 60 years ago doesn't get you ranked as fifth best Catholic team today.

I assumed from your comment that you didn't know that San Francisco had any type of NCAA tourney history. I just pointed out that Bill Russell, one of the greatest players of all time played for them. No disrespect was intended
HSScout1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:18 pm

None taken, Scout. I'm old enough to remember Russell with the Celtics and when UCLA broke the USF's 60-win streak record. When I said "hasn't been to the NCAAs" I was thinking of their current squad, which didn't qualify for the past couple of season. I also remember when the dropped basketball because of scandals.

(Interesting side note: USF had a very strong football team in the 1940s and into the early 1950s. Then they dropped football because of the expense. Sound familiar?)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Good riddance - football is a bear trap for catholic schools. 5 star football recruits don’t want to attend a private catholic school with small class sizes and serious academic demands. They want to play at public flagships, places that pay 8m per year to asshat head coaches. Can’t win, don’t try.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:14 pm

i can't wait til will bring back football!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball