Wright State

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Wright State

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:56 am

Always nice to give a walk-on some extra minutes in a blowout.

After witnessing the speed the Titans’ late 8-point lead evaporated against Kent St. a couple weeks ago, I didn’t feel last night’s win was in the bag until maybe two minutes to play. In the last few possessions, UDM was not really pushing to score, just moved when the shot clock was expiring.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby ptctitan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:39 am

Davis shot the ball 4 times in the last 7:32 of the game. Made 3 of them. He went 5 minutes without taking a shot from 6:00 to 1:04.

If Coach Nagy had any class, he would have complimented Antoine on his fine game. His sore loser comment shows that the thuggish behavior of some of his players is a product of his coaching - not some aberrant one-off behavior by a few of his players.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Wright State

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 am

ptctitan wrote:Davis shot the ball 4 times in the last 7:32 of the game. Made 3 of them. He went 5 minutes without taking a shot from 6:00 to 1:04.

If Coach Nagy had any class, he would have complimented Antoine on his fine game. His sore loser comment shows that the thuggish behavior of some of his players is a product of his coaching - not some aberrant one-off behavior by a few of his players.


+1 PCT I thought the same thing. After that loss to Kent St I wasn’t confident in yesterday’s game until 2 min also. We were a one-man show yesterday and when he came out for a few minutes we were tentative, or worse.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:32 am

Re: Wright State

Postby titandave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:[url]Postgame Press Conference with Coach Davis and AD from UD's website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2J3RSDYtUc&index=2&t=0s&list=PLisK2RDFY_EdAJ0EaTD-xV-BISMVQ4XFi

The interview is informative because I learned more why Coach Davis allocates the minutes the way he does. The players have to know how to play their zone defense or they won't get playing time. Some don't yet understand it. Also, they're devoting majority of their time to defense so offense is behind. Watch it, it's very interesting. Also, if you were ever coached by and/or worked for your Dad, (or vice versa), you'll enjoy the interaction between these two men.


It's great to see a focus on defense and it certainly paid dividends in this game; Wright State shot 38% from the field (only 18% from 3PT range) and had 18 turnovers.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Titans03 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:54 pm

https://twitter.com/rp3natural/status/1 ... 49920?s=21
For those of you that follow the NBA, I think Lou Williams is a spot on comparison.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Rashad has tweeted more than a few times that AD either will enter the draft or should be drafted after one year. I don’t see what good that does. Everyone knows AD will probably get NBA looks and has a good chance of going pro eventually. There’s something to be said for finishing your degree. Basketball is the Davis family business, and the fact is you need to think about life after playing. And you need a degree to coach. AD should play at least three years, putting him in striking distance of a degree (the way Ray did it, finishing with classes after he left the program).

Seeing a former player/UDM alum constantly suggest/encourage AD to go pro ASAP is disappointing.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:20 pm

I have no problem with kids leaving early for the NBA when it’s in their best interest. That said, considering his height and build, AD would need to advance his ball handling skills and defense skill set and gain a bit more muscle before he’s ready to leave collegiate ball. Maybe after sophomore year but more likely after year-three IMO.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby titanmac » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

nice to have a player on the team of that caliber. what a great problem to have! let the debates begin!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4835
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:07 pm

From an e-mail received from Titan Athletics:

Hello Everyone and Happy Friday!

I wanted to take a moment to share a few things before the weekend. Last night was a remarkable evening by our Titan Basketball Team and Freshman Guard Antoine Davis who scored an amazing 48 points against Wright State to help the Titans to a 3-0 start in Horizon League play. This performance garnered an enormous amount of local and national attention. Below are the articles from across the state and country for your enjoyment!.

Also just a reminder that our Men’s Team is back in action on Saturday 1/5/19 vs Northern Kentucky 1:00 p.m. at Calihan

Finally, our Women’s basketball team is playing at Oakland tonight at 7:00 p.m. for those in the area, there is a Pre-Game Party at Buddy’s Pizza in Auburn Hills at 5:00 p.m. Hope to see everyone there!

https://twitter.com/detroit_wbb/status/ ... 79777?s=21

All the best and Go Titans!

LAST NIGHT’S MEDIA (to date)

DAYTON DAILY NEWS- Wright State drilled as Detroit Mercy freshman scores 48

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... oxdBqfBGK/

USA TODAY-- Davis scores 48 points; Detroit Mercy beats Wright St. 79-58

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... i0w3GfoySw

THE DETROIT NEWS - Thursday's basketball: Davis scores 48, Detroit Mercy goes to 3-0 in Horizon League

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 479759002/

DETROIT FREE PRESS- Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis has 48 points, 10 3s in win over Wright St.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 480382002/

MACOMB DAILY-Antoine Davis scores 48, Detroit Mercy defeats Wright State

https://www.macombdaily.com/sports/coll ... edc67.html

MLIVE- Detroit Mercy freshman drops 48 points in win over Wright State

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2019/01/de ... state.html

ESPN -NCAA--- Andy Katz
Andy Katz‏Verified account @TheAndyKatz
Antoine Davis went off tonight for his dad, Mike, and Detroit-Mercy, scoring 48 points in a win over Wright State. The Titans are 3-0 and the freshman Davis is averaging 25.4 points a game! (Andrew D. Katz is a former senior college basketball journalist for ESPN.com. He was a regular sports analyst on College GameNight on ESPN. Andrew D. Katz is a former senior college basketball journalist for ESPN.com. He was a regular sports analyst on College GameNight on ESPN.)

By the way ... if you missed it, Brad Galli of WXYZ TV 7 News did a wonderful story on our program last night once again

https://www.facebook.com/BradGalliTV/vi ... TQzMTMxNQ/
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:[url]Postgame Press Conference with Coach Davis and AD from UD's website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2J3RSDYtUc&index=2&t=0s&list=PLisK2RDFY_EdAJ0EaTD-xV-BISMVQ4XFi

The interview is informative because I learned more why Coach Davis allocates the minutes the way he does. The players have to know how to play their zone defense or they won't get playing time. Some don't yet understand it. Also, they're devoting majority of their time to defense so offense is behind. Watch it, it's very interesting. Also, if you were ever coached by and/or worked for your Dad, (or vice versa), you'll enjoy the interaction between these two men.

Detroit News online story
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2019/01/04/thursdays-basketball-davis-scores-48-detroit-mercy-goes-3-0-horizon-league/2479759002/[url][/url]

Game story from Dayton Daily News........Wright State's coach none too happy about AD staying on the floor until the end.

Still, Nagy wasn’t happy.
“They leave him in there when they’re up 20 to try to get his 50 points. We’d better remember it,” he said. “Our kids better remember that, and we better make it right.”
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... oxdBqfBGK/

Horizon League Basketball Fever ---- Catch It!

One of the questions at the press conference: "why didn't Cole Long play tonight?" :D
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:05 pm

The team is playing hard. They need some support to get the home court advantage they deserve. I was really disappointed to see the very small turn out at the Wright State game. I was hoping to see more familiar faces. I know everyone can not help monetarily but a little more effort by all would make the game time experience better for the team and everyone in attendance. I hope we have a 3500+ for the Northern Kentucky game on Sat. At 1. As I’ve said before I think having the games on ESPN + and 3 might be nice for those who are a long distance away but we might be shooting ourselves in the foot.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby ptctitan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:10 pm

The part of Coaching Changes that did not want us to hire Zeigler posted this:

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1081257217419030529
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Wright State

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:25 pm

ptctitan wrote:The part of Coaching Changes that did not want us to hire Zeigler posted this:

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1081257217419030529


Vowels hit a grand slam.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby NC Titan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:00 pm

ptctitan wrote:Sounds like Coach Nagy is desperate because his pre-season favorite Raiders are not playing well on the road.

Here's what I remember Coach Nagy. At Calihan Hall last year, your team knocked out our leading scorer Kam Chatman with an elbow over his eye. At the Nutter Center last year, Parker Ernsthausen threw Josh McFolley to the floor with a few minutes left in the game your team up +30 points. And last night, your center Loudon Love threw a cheap shot at Gerald Blackshear with 6 minutes left earning a flagrant 1 and his 5th foul when you were down 16.

Because of your player's cheap shot, I wish Antoine actually had put up 50 against your team. But he showed more class than your team has ever shown against us in the last 12 months.


Question for Nagy: If one of your players had a chance to set a school record, would you bench him just because you had a lead?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2511
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Should we expect better? You can’t teach class. Especially at a regional 2nd tier public university.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Thoughts after a special evening:
1) talked to Jaleel. He looked trim and ready to play. He told me he was leaving for a small town in Mexico today, to play in the "top league" in that country. He hasn't been to the city he's going to yet but seemed happy. After what happened with him, it's great that he feels comfortable coming back. He did give us many great moments and he was so much fun to watch. I believe he is a really good guy, but just someone who has a hard time with classwork. That's not a crime; it's just a reality for some people.
2) talked to AD on the way out. I'm 5-10 and he's maybe an inch taller than me. He may be an NBA player, but maybe not. Either way, I just look forward to a great Titan Career. I will say now what I was afraid to say: he could end up in the same elite group as #3. Not the same player, but also a GREAT shooter and seems like a great kid. I am sure that he won't make a stupid mistake and leave college before he's ready.
3) Coach's tech was calculated, I believe. We were playing on our heels and he saw Wrong State pushing us around and he was pissed. He let everyone know it. It worked out well. Remember we used to wonder if McCallum would EVER get a T? It took Davis 15 games. Not bad.
4) I look forward to tomorrow. No predictions, but we have hope. That's enough for now.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Shags-DC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Are you sure that's his first technical?

I thought I remembered him getting another one earlier in the season, but maybe that was an assistant coach. And I think Antoine got one in the same game.
Shags-DC
Senior
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Commissioner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Shags-DC wrote:Are you sure that's his first technical?

I thought I remembered him getting another one earlier in the season, but maybe that was an assistant coach. And I think Antoine got one in the same game.

I think the announcers said it was his third.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 5002
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby Titans03 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:35 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Thoughts after a special evening:
1) talked to Jaleel. He looked trim and ready to play. He told me he was leaving for a small town in Mexico today, to play in the "top league" in that country. He hasn't been to the city he's going to yet but seemed happy. After what happened with him, it's great that he feels comfortable coming back. He did give us many great moments and he was so much fun to watch. I believe he is a really good guy, but just someone who has a hard time with classwork. That's not a crime; it's just a reality for some people.
2) talked to AD on the way out. I'm 5-10 and he's maybe an inch taller than me. He may be an NBA player, but maybe not. Either way, I just look forward to a great Titan Career. I will say now what I was afraid to say: he could end up in the same elite group as #3. Not the same player, but also a GREAT shooter and seems like a great kid. I am sure that he won't make a stupid mistake and leave college before he's ready.
3) Coach's tech was calculated, I believe. We were playing on our heels and he saw Wrong State pushing us around and he was pissed. He let everyone know it. It worked out well. Remember we used to wonder if McCallum would EVER get a T? It took Davis 15 games. Not bad.
4) I look forward to tomorrow. No predictions, but we have hope. That's enough for now.

I get what you’re saying, but AD is going to play in the NBA.
Titans03
Senior
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Wright State

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 am

NC Titan wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Sounds like Coach Nagy is desperate because his pre-season favorite Raiders are not playing well on the road.

Here's what I remember Coach Nagy. At Calihan Hall last year, your team knocked out our leading scorer Kam Chatman with an elbow over his eye. At the Nutter Center last year, Parker Ernsthausen threw Josh McFolley to the floor with a few minutes left in the game your team up +30 points. And last night, your center Loudon Love threw a cheap shot at Gerald Blackshear with 6 minutes left earning a flagrant 1 and his 5th foul when you were down 16.

Because of your player's cheap shot, I wish Antoine actually had put up 50 against your team. But he showed more class than your team has ever shown against us in the last 12 months.


Question for Nagy: If one of your players had a chance to set a school record, would you bench him just because you had a lead?


Nagy reminds me of Jerry Slowcum who also was an a**. Did anyone out there who could watch the replay get a second look at Wright’s #4 I think it’s Vest who in real time looked like he deliberately ran into AD with his elbows high. He got called for a foul but it looked deliberate. In real time that looked flagrant.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron