Milwaukee: Let's Sweep

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Milwaukee: Let's Sweep

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 am

Milwaukee

When Saturday, January 12, 1:00 p.m.
Where Calihan Hall
TV: ESPN+
Radio: AM 910 Superstation

The first place Titans (I enjoy writing that) return to action on Saturday to face the up-and-down Milwaukee Panthers at Calihan Hall. All that’s missing is you (and about 3500 other fans that ought to be showing up to get a glimpse of Antoine Davis, the most exciting player in Detroit-area basketball since Spencer Haywood). I’m in New Jersey, and no, I’m not going to make the trip on Saturday (and hats off again to UP, who probably would). But anybody within a 3 hour drive has no excuse.

Milwaukee is a team in waiting. Much like Detroit, expectations this year were quite low, but they’ve got a bunch of good transfers sitting out the year and ready to come on line in 2019-20. This year I think they’ll take what they can get. But that doesn’t mean they’re without talent or weapons.

The Panthers enter Saturday’s game at 7-10 overall, 2-2 in the HL, and winners of 5 of their last 7. Last week-end they lost at home to Youngstown State by 25. But on Thursday they beat the Grizzleyneers up in Oakland. They lost to Green Bay, a team we played recently, at home, by 10, and beat Cleveland State at home. Their NET ranking is 295, their RPI 281. (The Titans sit at 171/178). Even though most of their easiest games have been at home, they’re just 4-4 in Milwaukee, including a win over non-D1 Wisconsin Lutheran. But they’ve been pretty solid on the road, a respectable 3-4 in true road games, including their best wins of the year, over Western Michigan and over UMKC.

The Panthers are sort of the opposite of the Phoenix that just passed through town. According to Ken Pom, Green Bay plays the fastest tempo in the HL, 7th fastest in the nation. Milwaukee plays the 9th fastest tempo in the conference, 277th in the nation. Not surprisingly, they’re last in the league in points per game, but a respectable 4th in points allowed. It’s tempo more than talent. (KenPom, by the way, now projects the Titans to finish tied for second in the conference, behind only Northern Kentucky).

In the three-point happy Horizon, Milwaukee is last in the league in three point percentage, but that’s still a respectable 33.5%. They’ll chuck up 25 threes (71st in the country in attempts per game), and they can do some damage from out there. Milwaukee’s greatest strength is simply in taking care of the ball, but that is more a function of having big men with good hands than of particularly strong guard play.

Milwaukee’s best player is guard Darius Roy, who comes in averaging 16.2 points and 3.9 assists per game. He and shooting guard Jake Wright, a grad transfer from Miami of Ohio, are the main three point threats, although 6-8 DeAndre Abram—a Darrien King-type player—can also knock it down from deep. The other starters are a pair of 6-8 juco transfers, Amir Allen and Will Sessoms.

Milwaukee’s bench is getting short, and they may have just 7 scholarship players ready to go on Saturday. As noted, they’re red-shirting some hot-shot transfers, as well as freshman Shae Mitchell, a guy I thought could contribute right away. Sophomore Carsen Warren-Newsome, a rotation player last year, started this year as a key player, and averaged 13 points through the team’s first 8 games. But he did something to get into Coach Pat Baldwin’s dog house, saw his minutes drastically slashed (including not appearing in 4 games in December), and recently left the team, announcing his intent to transfer.

Junior guard Bryce Barnes—the regular starting point guard--rolled his ankle last week in practice and hasn’t played in the 3 games since. I don’t know if he’ll be back or not. If Barnes doesn’t play, the scholarship bench will be Vance Johnson, a bruising, 230 pound senior forward, and Bobby Arthur-Williams, a big guard. As a result, walk-on freshman Jamar Madge has also been getting meaningful PT, including 22 minutes against Oakland.

As you can see, Milwaukee has some size. They’ve got three 6-8 players in the starting lineup and two more on the bench. They have decent interior defense, and may toss in some zone from time to time. They’ve generally defended the three pretty well. They don’t turn it over much, and they’re the best free throw shooting team in the league. (Some of that was due to Warren-Newsome, who was shooting 87%. But Roy and Johnson are both 85% foul shooters, and Wright hasn’t missed in 18 attempts this year).

But there are a lot of good signs for the Titans. Milwaukee’s last two losses are to teams we recently smoked—Green Bay and Youngstown. Milwaukee is not an especially good passing team, which can make it tough to crack our zone, and if Barnes is not ready, they really don’t have a true point guard, though Roy has filled the role pretty well. While opponents aren’t hitting a high percentage of threes against them, they do crank up a lot of threes—YSU took 36—so the possibilities are there. Despite their size, Milwaukee is not a particularly good rebounding team, especially on the offensive boards, and they are not a very good shooting team either. If Blackshear and Brandon stay out of foul trouble, and our shooters—Davis, McFolley, and King—have decent nights (not great, just decent), we should be OK.

Fun fact: Milwaukee is 1-4 when leading D-1 opponents at halftime, but 5-6 when trailing at halftime. So don’t despair if we’re down at the break, and don’t get over-confident if we’re up.

We're off to a great start in conference play, but a weak schedule--road games with the weak, then a series of home games--has helped. We need a sweep this week-end to really establish ourselves. We've not shown consistency this year. There are no gimmes in this league, and Milwaukee has played pretty well on the road. Let's cheer for the Titans to play a game like they did Thursday night.

Probable Starters
PG: #20 Darius Roy, 6-2 Jr. (16.2 ppg, 3.9 apg, 39.4% 3PtFG, 85.2% FT)
SG: #13 Jake Wright, 6-4 RS Sr. (8.2 ppg, 37.9% 3PtFG, 100% FT, 87.5% career FT)
SF: #01 DeAndre Abram, 6-8 RS Jr. (10.9 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 33.0% 3PtFG)
F: #12 Amir Allen, 6-8 Jr. (5.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg)
F: #04 Will Sessoms, 6-8 Jr. (4.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg)

Bench
PG: #0 Bryce Barnes, 5-11 Jr. (6.1 ppg, 2.0 apg) – DOUBTFUL
SG: #2 Bobby Arthur-Williams, 6-7 RS Jr. (3.4 ppg)
G: #25 Jamar Madge, 6-3 Fr. (2.2 ppg)
F: #11 Vance Johnson, 6-8 Sr. (9.7 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 54.2% 2PtFG, 86.0% FT)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Milwaukee: Let's Sweep

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Let's Sweep. I like the sound of that. I know go to games expecting to win!

Also, Commish, thanks for the game previews. Because we don't have programs, I use these to refer to during the games.

Go Titans!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 pm

With 12 minutes left in the game, the refs have called 28 fouls on the Panthers and 8 on our Titans.
Shags-DC
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm

This one is too close. We can’t pull away. Milwaukee won’t quit. Best crowd I’ve seen in a long time.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:58 pm

The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Antoine Davis
2. DeAndre Abram
3. Josh McFolley

Unsung Hero
Derrien King

*name spelling correction made
Last edited by TitanVoiceofReason on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Great Game! Our 1st place Titans are creating a buzz inside Calihan Hall. 3,000 plus fans at the game. They're loud too.
The excitement is building. Titan Fever....Catch It!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:21 pm

The Michigan State Extension School just beat Green Bay. Their student section was rather vocal. Next Saturday is shaping up to be a big game.

After the game, Kampe told the sideline reporter that they will start getting ready for us in two hours.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:The Michigan State Extension School just beat Green Bay. Their student section was rather vocal. Next Saturday is shaping up to be a big game.

After the game, Kampe told the sideline reporter that they will start getting ready for us in two hours.

In the radio postgame, Kampe asked “Did Detroit win today?” The announcers made several references to the upcoming big game with “U-D” and even referenced the Titans as “the class of the Horizon League.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

the buddy’s is always better after a sweep!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:The Michigan State Extension School just beat Green Bay. Their student section was rather vocal. Next Saturday is shaping up to be a big game.

In the radio postgame, Kampe asked “Did Detroit win today?” The announcers made several references to the upcoming big game with “U-D” and even referenced the Titans as “the class of the Horizon League.”

To be fair, one announcer kept calling us Detroit Mercy and the other kept saying U of D. Not sure if the TV postgame is different than radio.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm

i wouldn’t have guessed 3000. thats a nice number tho. im thinkin a lot of season ticket holders werent there? in addition to a full student section there was a large group of young people behind us in section 4. either students or young alums? anyways it was nice to see.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Just listened to Kampe's presser after their GB win Saturday. He remains obsessed with us and I'm OK with that. Said "that kid" might be the best mid-major freshman ever. Said he saw him play and then became the first coach to offer him a scholarship. Said he knows Davis SR well. Hopes it will be a sellout Saturday, they will have several buses coming. Said he hopes it goes to the wire and a "kid in black" hits the winning shot.

Said he's already watched every minute of every game we've played. Said he has no idea how they will guard Davis. Said that if he was at a big school the fan base would be insane over him. I truly hope we can show the Davis Clan and the entire team a big amount of love on Saturday.

Kampe may be everything and nothing all at the same time, but he really cares about this rivalry. I realize that except for the Detroit Western Boys, there is no way that anyone in red-and-white will be truly able to relate to this game the way OU will. But I also trust that with a week to prepare, Davis will have them ready and fired up. This is a special opportunity and I expect we will rise to the moment.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:48 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Just listened to Kampe's presser after their GB win Saturday. He remains obsessed with us and I'm OK with that. Said "that kid" might be the best mid-major freshman ever. Said he saw him play and then became the first coach to offer him a scholarship. Said he knows Davis SR well. Hopes it will be a sellout Saturday, they will have several buses coming. Said he hopes it goes to the wire and a "kid in black" hits the winning shot.

Said he's already watched every minute of every game we've played. Said he has no idea how they will guard Davis. Said that if he was at a big school the fan base would be insane over him. I truly hope we can show the Davis Clan and the entire team a big amount of love on Saturday.

Kampe may be everything and nothing all at the same time, but he really cares about this rivalry. I realize that except for the Detroit Western Boys, there is no way that anyone in red-and-white will be truly able to relate to this game the way OU will. But I also trust that with a week to prepare, Davis will have them ready and fired up. This is a special opportunity and I expect we will rise to the moment.

Well stated. Folks, I wish I could see this game.

I hope Blackshear and McFolley rises to the occasion and reap the rewards for their intelligent decision to run the course of earning a UDM degree and winning the HL title. They did it as high school seniors and they have a chance to go out as champions in college.

It’s on and certainly SHOWTIME!
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Just listened to Kampe's presser after their GB win Saturday. He remains obsessed with us and I'm OK with that. Said "that kid" might be the best mid-major freshman ever. Said he saw him play and then became the first coach to offer him a scholarship. Said he knows Davis SR well. Hopes it will be a sellout Saturday, they will have several buses coming. Said he hopes it goes to the wire and a "kid in black" hits the winning shot.

I find this really condescending on Kampe’s part. And I think he has an inferiority complex. He said, “If he (Antoine Davis) were at a big school the fan base would be insane...” well we are a small school and we are still insane over him. If AD was at Michigan or MSU he may not be getting this kind of playing time either. I think Kampe is goofy. And here is what I would say about him, with the talent he had last year, he can only blame himself for not making the NCAA.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 am

who’s kampe?
titanmac
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 am

Great game, team is really playing well together. I like how Ray's recruits are fitting in to Coach Davis's system. Happy to see the student section back if full force.

Spoke with Josh and AD after the game at the autograph signing. Both great kids, I thanked Josh for his efforts and staying for his senor season. Both guards are playing great. Time to take on Oakland Community College.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball