Media rivalry or did Perry Create this OU rivalry

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Media rivalry or did Perry Create this OU rivalry

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm

How did this rivalry started? We first played OU in February 18, 1998 and won 110 to 61 in Calihan Hall . Perry had a 3-1 record against them with three blow outs and one crashing loss. But no one every talked about a rivalry during this time. It was first produced when OU entered the Horizon League. Did Perry Waston created such a bad taste in OU fans mouth to start up this. Or was it created by the media to boost both programs. UDM a program on a slow decline against a rising OU program. Typically rivalries should be created by hard fought wins going back in forth for titles. But sad to say we never played OU for a title. Are program not even being able to get pass the second round of the Horizon League tournament and only placing in 6th place at best in the season since OU has entered the Horizon League. OU has dominated are program since they joined are League. Having a record of 5-1 against Ray and 3-1 against Bacari. Well in the last 4 years of the rivalry it didn’t look like it boosted are program by looks of things. Or did OU just want to have a rivalry like UM and MSU. There fan base is just a cliché with the copying of every college chants you here at the O’rena to that obnoxious announcer at the game trying to sound like John Mason. Also even their “blacktop court” trying to act tough. What is tough is bringing a program back form the brink of existence to a winning culture (P.S. thank you Vowels, Mike Davis and coaching staff). Feeling a little like this is what OU fan base does copy everything original and make it a knock off. They even stole are buddies promotion of 80+ a game. In the end I really don’t know what created this rivalry. Even though we have been at the losing end of it for the last four to five years it is on because we are “Detroit’s Team” and we will not back down. We will do what Detroiters does best and Grind it out day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Just remember this is only the beginning.

Feb 18, 1998 110-61 Win at home
Dec 5,2000 77-56 Win at home
Dec 6, 2001 67- 93 loss away
Dec 3, 2003 76-60 Win at home
Jan 11, 2014 69-77- loss at home
Feb 14, 2014 82-83 loss away OT
Jan 10, 2015 74-54 win at home
Feb 15, 2015 78-83 loss away
Jan 16, 2016 82-86 loss at home
Feb 26, 2016 97-108 loss away
Jan 13, 2017 93-88 win away
Feb 10, 2017 80-89 loss at home
Jan 20, 2018 86-92 loss at home
Feb 9, 2018 78-87 loss away
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Re: Media rivalry or did Perry Create this OU rivalry

Postby theroundsquare » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm

It sort of got started after OU became a D-1 school (after that 1998 game). There was some leadup into the 2000 game in the media. I remember Terry Foster writing about it a few times in the News. My recollection is that the 2000 game wasn't even as close as the 21-pt spread. I recall Rashad breaking some guy's ankles he put such a move on him in that game. Afterward, OU was resolved not to let it happen again. I knew one of their assistant coaches at the time and they prepped for the 2001 game like you wouldn't believe, and the results showed. After that, Coaches Kampe and Watson got into a pissing match about scheduling. Rumored to add fuel to the fire was that Mike Helms, who starred at OU, wanted to come to UDM and Coach Watson didn't want him. The 2003 game was the last of that contract that was signed and led to Terry Foster's columns. We didn't play again until OU joined the Horizon.

That's my recollection, and I follow this pretty closely as I attended both schools. I continue to think that having OU and UDM play is a benefit.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm

I always thought the origin of the rivalry was OU's desire for status by playing us, especially after they made D1. Kampe sought legitimacy for his program by playing the established D1 team in Detroit.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:15 pm

i dont regard this game as much of a rivalry. it has local interest but not much more. my opinion. if it had been up to me they’d still be in the summit league.... oh. wait....dont look now but this pretty much IS the summit league.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks for the Post, JDetroit. If I may add a bit, you only include the results after OU joined D1. The Titans did play OU before 1998, but that was before they joined D1.

1973-74: Detroit 101, Oakland 75
1974-75: Detroit 105, Oakland 48
1975-76: Detroit 113, Oakland 83
1976-77: Detroit 113, Oakland 45 (this was the first game in the Titans 21 game winning streak)
1977-78: Detroit 99, Oakland 58
1985-86: Detroit 77, Oakland 62
1987-88: Detroit 84, Oakland 80
1992-93: Detroit 77, Oakland 50

Oakland began its transition to D1 in 1996. Kampe became coach at the start of the 1984-85 season.

A problem for us right now is that *we* don't have good rivals. In the old days, we loved to play Notre Dame and Michigan State, but those weren't really rivalries--they played us regularly, but not every year, and while we beat them from time to time, on the whole they kicked our butts, and had much bigger games on their slates. But we had good rivalries with Marquette, Dayton, Loyola, and Xavier, with Marquette as the marquee rival. Now all those schools have moved on. Same with our later rivals developed after Marquette and Dayton left the MCC, Butler and, very briefly, Valpo. Oakland's the nearest thing we have to a real consistent rival, even if it is recent and even if it is a bit manufactured. Perhaps this game should take on some importance to us simply because they been kicking our butts, and recruit directly against us.

In a way, it's a bit unfortunate that the Watson/Kampe scheduling dispute occurred. For one thing, OU joined the Horizon just as they were on an upswing, and we on a downturn. I suspect our 2013 squad would have wiped the floor with 16-17 W/L Oakland. But they joined the league the next year. From 2010--2012, OU won 71 games, we won 59 in the tougher Horizon. Those would have been good games.

In the early Horizon matchups, we caught some bad breaks. In that first game, January 2014, we were about to run OU out of Calihan, but the team collapsed in the final minutes. (We led most of the game and were up 10 with 7 minutes remaining. Oakland went ahead with 1:40 left to play. In the 2nd 2014 game, we again led much of the way, although the lead see-sawed. With the score tied and 4 seconds left, Patrick Onwenu was badly and obviously hacked as he grabbed an offensive rebound and went for the game winning put back, and the refs totally missed it. Onwenu, a very good free throw shooter, missed the shot and didn't get a chance at the line, where 1 of 2 would have ended it. The Titans got a 5 point lead in the OT but allowed OU to score the final 6 points.

Then we blew them out at Calihan in 2015, but lost at the McRena. OU was ahead most of that game, but we led with under 5 minutes to play. In 2016 at Calihan we closed a gap to two in the final minute but fell short. It seems that Oakland rallies succeed where ours fall short. Note that to that point, OU had won 4 to our 1, yet we had actually outscored them in those 5 games. Of course, they've gone on to another 3 of 4 since.

All of this isn't to make excuses. It's just to say that the series has been a bit closer than the 8-2 OU advantage suggests.

As I see it, OU is the rival we have, until we can get something better. So let's make something of it. People love to sit on this board and make cheap jokes about Oakland, while they whip us year after year. Saturday's game is for 1st place. We need to win it.

Go Titans!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Right you are, Commish. I've said since OU joined the HL that beating them each year needs to be a prime goal and a measure of any success.

I also would hope that we can parlay AD's profile into playing Marquette and Xavier and our historic rivals. I think that in Curry's sophomore and junior years at Davidson they were scheduling big-name opponents, Oklahoma and NC State among them.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Rival or not or close games or not, we have to turn the tide on them. Stating Saturday please!
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 pm

i cant believe you guys say this stuff with a straight face. this league is pathetic and the only answer for us is to leave it behind. the sooner the better. listening to mccronysms during the half time shows leaves me no option but to resume my love affair with fast forward. hopefully i’ll live to see it. when it does happen i wont much care if we never play oakland again and neither will anyone else here. not nearly the stuff of rivalries at all. perry was as right about that call as he was about almost every other call he ever made on the court. we fiddle while rome burns.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 pm

titanmac wrote:i cant believe you guys say this stuff with a straight face. this league is pathetic and the only answer for us is to leave it behind. the sooner the better. listening to mccronysms during the half time shows leaves me no option but to resume my love affair with fast forward. hopefully i’ll live to see it. when it does happen i wont much care if we never play oakland again and neither will anyone else here. not nearly the stuff of rivalries at all. perry was as right about that call as he was about almost every other call he ever made on the court. we fiddle while rome burns.

I'm not a big fan of this "the league is pathetic and the only answer is for us to leave it behind" narrative. Depending on which website and which ranking system you look at, the Horizon League ranks anywhere from 18-21 this season out of 32 conferences (so far, but it won't change much in conference play). Is that great? Are we in an elite league? No and no. But to act like we are the scum at the bottom is ridiculous. There are much much MUCH worse leagues out there. There is a reason Coach Davis left the SWAC...
Titans03
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 pm

it wasn’t long ago we were consistently ranked between ten and twelve. it wasnt long ago we had three teams in the tournament. you are of course right that there are worse leagues out there. so tell me whether you think we are spiraling up or spiraling down? if its down how do you propose to stop the slide? you guys always want to talk about reality and fiscal restraints. well this is the kind of results you get with the belt and suspenders too approach. you have to take some risks to earn rewards. lopping off another d1 sport every few years is hardly a ticket for improvement. on the bright side winning and excitement will bring the attendance increases we need to sustain not only this but the other sports in the program. i believe vowels is an excellent ad snd is making a lot of tough calls and right moves. i hope we can sustain the momentum until the golden egg falls out of the sky from a huge donation. we have options to raise funds that we do not seem to have the bureacratic will to pursue. hopefully that culture is changing.
titanmac
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 am

The rivalry is a bit manufactured of recently. With many of our previous rivals like Butler moving on to different leagues, Oakland is the rival now. We have to turn the tide this weekend and start winning.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:04 am

titanmac wrote:i dont regard this game as much of a rivalry. it has local interest but not much more. my opinion. if it had been up to me they’d still be in the summit league.... oh. wait....dont look now but this pretty much IS the summit league.

+1
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am

I don't care if Oakland is our arch-rival, should be our arch-rival, or should be in the HL.

On Saturday, they are our opponent. As with Wayne State earlier this season, the time has come for our Titans to step up and beat them soundly on Saturday afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORRJJSoendU
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am

The creation of the rivalry doesn’t matter so much anymore, it’s here and it’s what we have until one team leaves HL. We (rightfully) lost our spot in Lunardi’s bracketology today with NKU now projected as a 14 (and us, at best, only playing in late March if the school is willing to cough up cash to send the team to CBI/CIT).

The rivalry is important, and I think it brings value to both programs. But tomorrow’s game, given the standings, is critically important if we want a shot at a conference title and the guaranteed NIT bid. Our team is certainly good enough to compete in the HL tourney, but it’d be much more enjoyable to watch this regular season play out if we were competing for the regular season title.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:57 am

Defend the Hall!

-- Titan Reggie

Tomorrow more than ever!
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:12 pm

i've been watching replays on espn+. northern kentucky is formidable. i'm looking forward to going down there to see the game. besides its the only horizon league venue i haven't been to. good excuse to see an old pal in dayton while i'm at it and catch the wright state game. another basketball filled road trip. nice to feel good about the team again.
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball