Looking Forward to a Weekend vs Initials

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Looking Forward to a Weekend vs Initials

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:24 am

At UIC and IUPUI.

Big test for our young Titans.

On coaches radio show last night, Coach Davis says he will start the 3 frosh, Antoine, Chris, & Marquis along with Willy because the others have stopped putting forth the type of effort needed to win the tournament.

We'll see if that spurs the upperclassmen to respond in practice. Coach is displeased because the older players stopped playing defense after the Wrighr St game.
ptctitan
Senior

Re: Looking Forward to a Weekend vs Initials

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am

ptctitan wrote:At UIC and IUPUI.

On coaches radio show last night, Coach Davis says he will start the 3 frosh, Antoine, Chris, & Marquis along with Willy

That's 4 frosh.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 pm

ptctitan wrote:At UIC and IUPUI.

On coaches radio show last night, Coach Davis says he will start the 3 frosh, Antoine, Chris, & Marquis along with Willy because the others have stopped putting forth the type of effort needed to win the tournament.

We'll see if that spurs the upperclassmen to respond in practice. Coach is displeased because the older players stopped playing defense after the Wrighr St game.

At the 15 minute mark, he actually said 3 freshman. Willy, Marquis, and Antoine - Chris was not included
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Is this suggesting that Antoine is playing better defense at the top of the zone than Josh at this point? If so, I'd politely disagree. I didn't see any guard work harder than McFolley on the defensive end in the OU game.

Coach is welcome to start whomever he wants, but that reasoning for starting those players in particular wouldn't make much sense to me.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:10 pm

willie is a like a super fresh. he has four years of eligibility, but he's 21. kinda like the army vet oakland had a while ago....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 pm

udballer wrote:Is this suggesting that Antoine is playing better defense at the top of the zone than Josh at this point? If so, I'd politely disagree. I didn't see any guard work harder than McFolley on the defensive end in the OU game.

Coach is welcome to start whomever he wants, but that reasoning for starting those players in particular wouldn't make much sense to me.

I agree, if i remember correctly Josh had several stealals against OU and played pretty good defense. I know he was frustrated, but maybe coach Davis should tell Antoine to make at least one pass before he launches a 30 foot three pointer, while falling backwards on one leg.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:34 pm

coach wants the players to play hard for 40 minutes. as we all know, this was not a prerequisite under our last two coaches. the attitude then was "lets be nice and we will all play nice together" i applaud coach for taking steps to hold the players accountable. as a bureaucratic imperative, it is always survivors from a previous regime, when rules were different, that can cause the most problems in instilling the new attitude. this is neither good nor bad, nor a criticism of anyone. just a systemic problem bureaucracies face when managing a program. change breeds dissent. it also breeds opportunity. manage it well and the organization finds success. onwards and upwards! i hope the holdovers and the elder newcomers continue to buy in and fight hard for their pt.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 pm

HSScout1 wrote:At the 15 minute mark, he actually said 3 freshman. Willy, Marquis, and Antoine - Chris was not included

Thanks for clarifying.

udballer wrote:Is this suggesting that Antoine is playing better defense at the top of the zone than Josh at this point? If so, I'd politely disagree. I didn't see any guard work harder than McFolley on the defensive end in the OU game.

I don't think it was directed at Josh. The fact that he said that he had pretty much decided to start Moore at UIC suggests that his displeasure is with Blackshear, Brandon, and/or King.
ptctitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball