Poll: Record at the end of Feb. be (in conf) plus more

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Record

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:46 am

13-4
No votes
12-5
No votes
11-6
No votes
10-7
60%
9-8
40%
8-9
No votes
7-10
No votes
6-11
No votes

Total votes : 5

Poll: Record at the end of Feb. be (in conf) plus more

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 am

Only Feb. (voting will end in one day)

Also What will be the hardest game?
What is a must win game for you?
Who will be the best player off the bench?

Which player will have the most (or best):
-Assists
-FT%
-FG%
-Rebounds
-Steals
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Re: Poll: Record at the end of Feb. be (in conf) plus more

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:16 pm

We need to step on the gas for numerous reasons. Obviously, primarily, to have a shot at defying the odds and winning the HL tourney. We also need to think about being positioned to get an offer to CBI/CIT. It really helps to have a winning record to get invited, especially to CIT. Not saying we should go if invited, and it’s up to the university whether to spend the cash. Normally I think those tourneys are money poorly spent, but when you have a young team it might be worth it to get them experience.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:We need to step on the gas for numerous reasons. Obviously, primarily, to have a shot at defying the odds and winning the HL tourney. We also need to think about being positioned to get an offer to CBI/CIT. It really helps to have a winning record to get invited, especially to CIT. Not saying we should go if invited, and it’s up to the university whether to spend the cash. Normally I think those tourneys are money poorly spent, but when you have a young team it might be worth it to get them experience.

I believe Coach Davis focuses on the experience of the preseason games. If we have money to spend I'd rather see it spent on improving facilities, recruiting, marketing the program.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:We need to step on the gas for numerous reasons. Obviously, primarily, to have a shot at defying the odds and winning the HL tourney. We also need to think about being positioned to get an offer to CBI/CIT. It really helps to have a winning record to get invited, especially to CIT. Not saying we should go if invited, and it’s up to the university whether to spend the cash. Normally I think those tourneys are money poorly spent, but when you have a young team it might be worth it to get them experience.

I believe Coach Davis focuses on the experience of the preseason games. If we have money to spend I'd rather see it spent on improving facilities, recruiting, marketing the program.

The cost of participating in these "minor" tournaments is often greatly overstated.

In the CIT, you have to be willing to host at least 1 game. I don't know what they require--it's probably about $40,000-$45,000 now, as it was $38,500 a couple years back. You get to keep 100% of the gate receipts and all related parking and concessions. The home school can also keep any other revenue they can dig up, for example, a game sponsor. The CIT pays the officials and pays all travel costs for a travel party of 22, and pays the TV production and internet streaming costs.

Many schools make money playing in the CBI and CIT. I don't know how many, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least half of them come out ahead. Bradley used revenue from the CIT to fund an overseas trip a few years ago. Pacific reached the CIT finals a few years back without spending a dime from its athletic budget. So the real question is, how many tickets can you sell? If we had the ability to draw 5000 fans a night, we'd almost certainly come out way ahead. Of course, we don't, but can we just draw enough to break even? What would that be, maybe 2500? 3000? For us, even that's a challenge, but the novelty of hosting a post-season game and having Antoine Davis may make it doable. In any event, it's not that much that you lose after you offset the host guarantee with whatever revenue you bring in. Note that if you play on the road in the first game and lose, I don't think you are on the hook for anything in the CIT, because you won't host a game (though admittedly, I'm not 100% sure on that).

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't participate if invited (CIT requires a winning record anyway, which we are unlikely to have), but my inclination would be to play. Even if you don't make money, it's not much money spent net, and you've got to ask if spending a couple thousand dollars on "facilities" goes as far as maybe two more games (that means you just win one game) and the added practice time you're allowed for them; the chance to play in another city (can that help with recruiting); some PR (some would call that "marketing the program"). CBS televises the "final 4" of the CIT, and ESPNU carries the CBI. Let's say you lose $15,000 on the deal... is that a bad investment for an extra game or two (or more) and the accompanying practice team for a young team, a bit of exposure, some regional TV coverage and maybe a national TV game if you advance far? In the second week in March, when you're playing and Oakland's not, who is going to get more coverage? And if you reach the semis or finals of one of these tournaments, you can get some decent media coverage. Do the players want to play more? Can that help sell the program? Especially, perhaps, for a team that's been way down for a couple years, perhaps a CIT or CBI appearance can be a show of momentum.

I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other, especially financially, but my disposition is to think that when you can play more games, your default option should be to play more games; and the amount of money involved is relatively trivial, and not necessarily better spent on other things. That will be a case by case situation.

My big point is that I find in recent years people tend to overestimate the cost of playing.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks for the info. I’ve read quite a bit on both tourneys. You’re right that CIT demands a winning record. It’s only for mid major schools. It’s doubtful we will finish with a winning record unless we pull some incredible road wins out of our hat down this stretch. Personally, I like CBI better. It’s a true bracket style tourney and you get a mix of power schools and mid majors. Davis didn’t play these tourneys at UAB and TSU because (1) he didn’t need to by going to NCAAs and NITs and (2) TSU is a low budget SWAC school. I think our situation is different. I’m normally not a fan of the CBI/CIT but there are notable recent examples of schools that went and came back strong the next season (Nevada and San Francisco come to mind).

Probably premature to talk about it, but my inclination would be to play if invited. Which I could reasonably see if we finish close to .500. The fact is, AD is getting more and more press and his presence might make CBI call us. Plus, the CBI championship is a best of 3. That’s antifragile as hell.

Anyway, I hope it’s all moot and we get on tv selection Sunday.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball