Youngstown State February 2

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Youngstown State February 2

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:08 pm

The 3 Stars of the Game
chosen by Tony Paul ;)

1. Devin Morgan
2. Naz Bohannon
3. Gerald Blackshear

Unsung Player of the Game
Darius Quisenberry
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby HoopLove247 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Anyone have postgame interview?? Cant find it.
HoopLove247
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:41 pm

HoopLove247 wrote:Anyone have postgame interview?? Cant find it.

https://detroittitans.com/documents/201 ... _10_PM.mp3
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm

My take away from the game:

When AD was double teaming Hamrick was the solution by running the ball threw him. This created a three on two down low. Lamar had excellent decision making with the ball. The down side is the Lamar does not make great moves in the zone. He is to use to doing man to man coverage. I watch him all day move slow on going back. I believe he is a good defensive player but he needs to work on the zone. Moore is very quick on making the right moves in the zone but he doesn't have the IQ on the offensive end that Lamar has. Both guys are very athletic and combine you have your man.

This is the second time I can remember a Titan player loosing their shoes during the game at The Hall this year. Solution your benched for the next game. If you can’t tie your shoe right then you defiantly aren’t able to play a division I basketball game. Some odd reason this year the Titans are the only ones loosing their shoes in Cal Hall. (I know Boe lost his shoe and King did but I remember Mcfolly did it too but I not sure if it was this year?)

The last two minutes no improvement I have seen. I will call out the coaching staff on this one. We had an easy chance to close out this game even with the tech called on us (coaching staff shoe). We only scored 1pt in two minutes. We have the number 2 scorer in the nation and we are ahead by 2 pts. We should not loss this game in this league this late in the season. I saw exactly what the Youngstown coach was seeing all game. Lamar was slow at making the move to the corner and was staying on the first pass to long. He set up a play that was for his hot shooter to make a play. I even could read the limps of the one player tell his man get the ball make the pass during the time out. (This statement I would like it to motivate the coach staff. They have done a lot for this program but to meet their goals in time. I see them at this point being behind. Like they say in MGM in Detroit “Let it ride”.)
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:52 pm

I dunno, sometimes no matter how tightly you tie your shoe, another player comes down on the back of your heel and it comes off. I don’t watch NBA, but I watch a lot of college hoops and FIBA basketball. I actually see shoes come off somewhat frequently. I can tell you, I’ve NEVER seen a coach’s assistant or coach take possession of a shoe and throw it across the court like it was a Nerf Vortex football.

I don’t like singling out individual players on a public board. King is, without a doubt, a legit D1 basketball player and we are lucky to have him as a Titan.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I dunno, sometimes no matter how tightly you tie your shoe, another player comes down on the back of your heel and it comes off. I don’t watch NBA, but I watch a lot of college hoops and FIBA basketball. I actually see shoes come off somewhat frequently. I can tell you, I’ve NEVER seen a coach’s assistant or coach take possession of a shoe and throw it across the court like it was a Nerf Vortex football.

I don’t like singling out individual players on a public board. King is, without a doubt, a legit D1 basketball player and we are lucky to have him as a Titan.

True. I do like King play its just frustrating with people losing shoes at the worst time I feel like. I don't feel that loosing the shoe or even throwing the shoe lost the game for us. We lost it by not closing it out at the end. I understand my statement was tough. I do like this team and everyone that is on it. From the guys deep on the bench to the starts. I apology to King , Boe and Mcfolly for putting you out there.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33 pm

John Wooden started each and every season teaching his team -- veterans and newcomers -- how to put on their socks and shoes. Maybe he was onto something. He had a bit of success in his day.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:42 pm

NC Titan wrote:John Wooden started each and every season teaching his team -- veterans and newcomers -- how to put on their socks and shoes. Maybe he was onto something. He had a bit of success in his day.

Yeah, but those hightop Chuck Taylor All Stars were practically glued to the foot.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby HoopLove247 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm

To say that about Lamar and his play is very negative. I thought he was a bright spot in the game. I see the kid hustling just as much as anyone out there. It's hard to guard 2 spots they were on offense we were on defense they knew what play was drawn up we didnt. Look at the turnovers and quick shots early in the shot clock you may find the real answer. Moore also played well it was a team loss. Also Lamar is second on the team in steals 27 steals in 351min. Josh has 44 steals in768 min. Let's keep getting better as a team.
HoopLove247
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Lamar is very athletic, strong, a good offensive player. To fault him for defense isn't fair -- he's still learning the Zone but as Coach says, all the players are still learning the Zone. The worst thing about Lamar is that he is a junior and we only get him for one more seasons after this one.

Marquis plays above his height, is strong as a horse, can handle the ball. Early in the season he was hesitant on offense, couldn't decide whether to shoot or drive, but he's improved the last few games. The best thing about Marquis is that he is a freshman and we get him for three more seasons after this one.

I've said it before: the five freshmen are a good nucleus for coming seasons. With four scholarship players graduating from the team (McFolley, King and Blackshear at 2-3-4 in minutes played) the young players will anchor a strong roster.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:26 pm

We win as a team and we lose as a team. The fact that Hamrick made a mistake in the zone on the last YSU scoring play does not negate his many prior good plays. Nor is it "the reason" we lost. The same way that Devendorf's attempt to get King's shoe to him is not "the reason" we lost. There were many mistakes made by many Titan players, on offense and defense, throughout the entire game. The accumulation of those mistakes created the loss. We have to remember that YSU may have still made the shot if Hamrick had remained in the proper zone. On the tying basket for 69-69, Blackshear and King did not block out Bohannon for the offensive rebound and put back. Our Titans made many good plays and too many bad plays. Think about the last score of the first half. We had a similar defensive lapse in which we left the shooter open after closing out on the non-shooter. That 3-point basket for YSU was just as important as the last score of the game. Without it, they lose.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 am

Well said pctitan.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball