Northern Kentucky

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Northern Kentucky

Postby Shotdoctor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 pm

If we don’t start moving the ball around to open players we won’t make the Tournament! Shot selection and distribution has got to get better!
Shotdoctor
Senior

Postby HoopLove247 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Well said. Can you say it again.
HoopLove247
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:18 am

Shotdoctor wrote:If we don’t start moving the ball around to open players we won’t make the Tournament! Shot selection and distribution has got to get better!

+1

And the players without the ball have to move with authority to the open spots on the floor instead of standing around doing nothing. They are not cutting hard without the ball. When the ball gets doubled or hedged, there is no outlet. Instead, the other guys just lazily jog back and forth. Even if the outlet is to a non-shooter, that guy keeps the defense moving and can get the ball reversed. It takes all 5 guys working hard to break down these defenses.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Shotdoctor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:27 am

Not a motion offense appears to be more pick and create than anything else. I could be wrong but it seems coach has lost some of his objectivity and is becoming obsessed with 122 three’s instead of ball distribution and winning. Antoine isn’t a secret anymore there’s film and Kampe showed how to defense him. We need balanced scoring and that won’t happen with one guy shooting 25 times a game. We went through a that with Triple J. Players get frustrated when they’re not involved or are chastised for making a mistake when SOMEONE ELSE makes plenty and nothing is said IMO. I feel Davis is a good Coach definitely better that the previous regime but he is human and it’s hard to be objective when you have a horse in the race. We have very good talent on the team but it seems some are in the doghouse and can contribute when on the floor. If we make the tournament I hope coach uses a different approach bc AD free aint gonna work.
Shotdoctor
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Shotdoctor wrote:Not a motion offense appears to be more pick and create than anything else. I could be wrong but it seems coach has lost some of his objectivity and is becoming obsessed with 122 three’s instead of ball distribution and winning. Antoine isn’t a secret anymore there’s film and Kampe showed how to defense him. We need balanced scoring and that won’t happen with one guy shooting 25 times a game. We went through a that with Triple J. Players get frustrated when they’re not involved or are chastised for making a mistake when SOMEONE ELSE makes plenty and nothing is said IMO. I feel Davis is a good Coach definitely better that the previous regime but he is human and it’s hard to be objective when you have a horse in the race. We have very good talent on the team but it seems some are in the doghouse and can contribute when on the floor. If we make the tournament I hope coach uses a different approach bc AD free aint gonna work.

It might appear that way; but the actual numbers could suggest otherwise.

Since the first NKU game at Calihan, Antoine is actually taking fewer shots per game (19) than he was averaging per game until then (22). Also, his 3P attempts per game are down (10) in recent games versus 12.5 attempts earlier in the season.

But his turnovers are way up since his injury at UIC. 6, 5, 6.

Without him playing at IUPUI, our team took the fewest shots of the season and turned the ball over a season high 22 times. We lost by 15 points.

So, I think we are a better team with him playing and shooting. He leads the team in assists. Maybe he is not quite at 100% since the injury.

The big change in personnel from the beginning of the season has been the benching of Brandon in favor of another threat on offense. Despite Brandon's erratic play, we appear to get better results with him in the game. If anything, one could make a case that in an attempt to create more options on offense, our actual performance declined because our defense also has declined without Brandon.

But these are merely my observations. I leave it to Coach because he knows what it takes to become a championship team.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Shotdoctor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:57 pm

It’s definitely in the coach’s hands but defenses are the result of his shot reduction. Even with a that I’m keeping hope he’s planning a different strategy IF we make the tournament!
Shotdoctor
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball